Prosthodontics 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am applying for a prosthodontic residency next cycle, but I was hoping a few of you could post your stats or give me a little information. I want to be a prosthodontist, but I do not know if I am a competitive candidate for residency. What would you all say is a decent gpa range for a prospective prosth resident?
 
what stats do u wanna know? not sure how the actually helps tho. i know a lot of ppl here want to hear stats etc, but to be 100% honest, it's not always about the stats. in fact, looking back at it, i prbly wouldn't wanna know everyone else stats cuz that does nothing but discourage you from following your dreams/aspirations.

Whereas, some people might post a stellar GPA but have nothing else on their resumes to support their application.
At the same time, i'm sure you can get a ton of other people posting terrible GPAs... but their resumes have a ton of research, externships, etc that are simply not quantifiable by any means that we have.

I might get flamed for these comments, but... at the end of the day, it's about the qualifiable measures of an application, and not the quantifiable units we use nowadays, GPA, GRE, etc.
 
what stats do u wanna know? not sure how the actually helps tho. i know a lot of ppl here want to hear stats etc, but to be 100% honest, it's not always about the stats. in fact, looking back at it, i prbly wouldn't wanna know everyone else stats cuz that does nothing but discourage you from following your dreams/aspirations.

Whereas, some people might post a stellar GPA but have nothing else on their resumes to support their application.
At the same time, i'm sure you can get a ton of other people posting terrible GPAs... but their resumes have a ton of research, externships, etc that are simply not quantifiable by any means that we have.

I might get flamed for these comments, but... at the end of the day, it's about the qualifiable measures of an application, and not the quantifiable units we use nowadays, GPA, GRE, etc.

Thank you! That actually is what I did not know I needed to hear. I truly appreciate your response. If prosthodontics is what I want, I need to go after it and that's that.

Are you in/Have you completed a prosthodontic residency?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I might get flamed for these comments, but... at the end of the day, it's about the qualifiable measures of an application, and not the quantifiable units we use nowadays, GPA, GRE, etc.

Can't imagine you getting flamed for the truth 🙂

If you're smart enough to get through dental school you're smart enough to get into (pros) residency. Seriously, it's not a competitive specialty. What's competitive is the better programs and those usually look beyond grades and want to know more about your experience with pros. What is pros to you and why do you want to specialize in it? Are you looking to be a "super dentist" or a referral-based specialist? Where does surgical (implant) training fit into your professional goals? Lab work? Program directors want to know that YOU know what you're getting into.
 
Couldn't agree with you more mackchops...
...and i hate to derail this thread, but i'm curious as to why you mention being a "super-dentist" vs. "referral-based specialist"? How do you feel that fits in with program directors' opinions of candidates?
 
Prostho became more competitive than before one of the directors i met told me this year they got the highest number of applicants in the past 5 yrs. i think in the coming years its going to get harder amd harder to get into prostho program.
 
Prostho became more competitive than before one of the directors i met told me this year they got the highest number of applicants in the past 5 yrs. i think in the coming years its going to get harder amd harder to get into prostho program.
i can confirm this. i've heard from multiple directors the same thing.
i think with the changes in the implant requirements and the word spreading about that as well, the more competitive it'll be.
 
Couldn't agree with you more mackchops...
...and i hate to derail this thread, but i'm curious as to why you mention being a "super-dentist" vs. "referral-based specialist"? How do you feel that fits in with program directors' opinions of candidates?

I mention them only because they are polar opposite perspectives of what it means to be a prosthodontist. If you want to be a "referral-based specialist" you may be more attracted to (or attractive to) your program, my program, or a handful of others out there that teach prosthodontics as a specialty in a philosophical sense. There are also plenty of programs that teach excellent clinical dentistry but are geared more towards individuals who are looking for advanced PROCEDURAL training with less emphasis on the thoughtful (cerebral?) side of the specialty. Every program is very different and I'd contend that a prospective resident will fit better with a group of co-residents and faculty who share with the applicant the same pedagogical agenda.

My thoughts anyway.
 
i can confirm this. i've heard from multiple directors the same thing.
i think with the changes in the implant requirements and the word spreading about that as well, the more competitive it'll be.

How competitive is it now? I can't find admission stats anywhere.
 
I mention them only because they are polar opposite perspectives of what it means to be a prosthodontist. If you want to be a "referral-based specialist" you may be more attracted to (or attractive to) your program, my program, or a handful of others out there that teach prosthodontics as a specialty in a philosophical sense. There are also plenty of programs that teach excellent clinical dentistry but are geared more towards individuals who are looking for advanced PROCEDURAL training with less emphasis on the thoughtful (cerebral?) side of the specialty. Every program is very different and I'd contend that a prospective resident will fit better with a group of co-residents and faculty who share with the applicant the same pedagogical agenda.

My thoughts anyway.

I see your point (and agree) completely. I guess i just didn't get what you were referring to. But, you're absolutely right
 
How competitive is it now? I can't find admission stats anywhere.
See my post earlier re: quantitative vs. qualitative admissions criteria. Even if programs posted "minimum requirements", it wouldn't reflect how competitive it's gotten lately. At the end of the day, if it's what you want to do (be it OS/perio/endo), then the only person stopping you from achieving it is yourself.

Idk of any websites that speak of average credentials of their current candidates.
 
Hey! Is anyone applying for a Prosthodontic residency program for the upcoming 2017 cycle?