Prozac or Paxil? You and Your ROL.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So right now we've got three separate threads showing in the top ten in which OPs are asking for others' impressions of specific programs.

Just as with the choice of your favorite SSRI, either option will get you to the same place, all things being equal. (For example, any residency program is likely to cause queasiness and headaches when you start it, and at least a 30%--probably higher--incidence of sexual dysfunction at some point before you end it...but I digress...) What you know from working with patients, which applies here, is that not all things ARE equal. So a high amount of the determinant of whether Yale or Penn, CPMC or Irvine, Emory or MUSC is right for YOU depends on who YOU are--what you want from a program, a city, a faculty, a set of colleagues. My advice is KNOW THYSELF. You're the one with your boots on the ground in these places, and we're just dishing a rehash of last year's scuttlebutt from this board and the back alleys & hotel bars of various conferences we've been to.

I know--I remember how crazy-making this process is, how insecure you're feeling about it right now...but trust me, it's all going to turn out fine--albeit with a slight chance of akathesia, agitation, and insomnia...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My advice is KNOW THYSELF. You're the one with your boots on the ground in these places, and we're just dishing a rehash of last year's scuttlebutt from this board and the back alleys & hotel bars of various conferences we've been to.

I found it very important to lay out what I want from a program, a city, etc. before I began applying to programs. And it became even more important after interviews. I needed some way to keep track of the data and my impressions, so that I was not so heavily influenced by my most recent interview. My collection of data became enormous, but that's my usual way. I've put together a more simple rating tool for various aspects of a residency (attached). It asks you to rate various aspects of a residency, then multiply by how important that aspect is to you (something to decide before beginning rating each residencies).

See what you think, and please feel free to change it and post versions you like better.