PRS fellowship post ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subzero123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just trying to get a rough idea as to how difficult it is to get a PRS fellowship after finishing an Oto residency. I know there are 3 or more different paths to become a plastic surgeon, but the oto route interests me the most so far. In general, do otolaryngologists match into these fellowships successfuly?

Members don't see this ad.

yea no doubt! see sam stal, jaime garza, etc

ENT residents from what I have seen have matched very well. Yeah, there are a handful of PRS programs that only like GS residents....aka. Duke. I would not like to go to places like those anyway since they are probably pretty closed minded to begin with. My friend applied for PRS as an ENT resident and he has a whopping 20 interviews and to her experience so far, having finished most interviews, being ENT is an ADVANTAGE. He matched at a top notch program. I am applying next year and I feel strongly about my ENT background.

Hope that helps. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ENT residents from what I have seen have matched very well. Yeah, there are a handful of PRS programs that only like GS residents....aka. Duke. I would not like to go to places like those anyway since they are probably pretty closed minded to begin with. My friend applied for PRS as an ENT resident and he has a whopping 20 interviews and to her experience so far, having finished most interviews, being ENT is an ADVANTAGE. He matched at a top notch program. I am applying next year and I feel strongly about my ENT background.

Hope that helps. :)

Hey guys,

I am a third year medical student trying to decide between ENT and PRS. I noticed that you are ENT residents and would like to do a fellowship in PRS. So, I thought that you would be the best person to ask your opinion since you are familiar with both fields and your input would be truly invaluable to me.

I have done extensive ENT related research with publications, and I have been told by my school's ENT PD and chairman that I would be considered as a strong applicant for any ENT program. However, I have recently been thinking about PRS as I see it as a fun surgical subspecialty. You can operate anywhere in the body, patients are generally happier, and if I decide to do private practice, it can be a fun lucrative practice (if i am not midtaken?). What I dont like about it is its image as plastic surgeons are often preceived as superficial doctors who may not be necessary changing people's lives, although, this may be wrong, it sometimes comes to my mind. I am sure you do not have this problem with ENT.
So, I am pretty confused at this time, and I would like to know what are your thoughts about PRS. You guys have certainly been there and seen a lot more than I have, and your perspective must be way different than a naive third year med student; I am sure you now see what I can not yet see.... I am debating everyday that if I have the option to match to either integrated PRS or ENT, which one I should pursue? I would truly appreciate your time and any input you may have on this topic.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Many views, but no comments!!! Anyone?

You need to make a list of what aspects draw you to each specialty. While there is overlap in regards of facial plastics and recon, craniofacial, maxillofacial trauma that is where it basically ends. Most people who are drawn to both specialties are usually interested d/t the above forementioned list so you should compare and contrast the other areas of expertise in both specialties, i.e. do you like otology, sinus, airway more or do you prefer cosmetics, hand surgery, breast recon, body contouring, lower extremity free flaps, decub ulcers etc. This list is obviously very basic and your list should be more comprehensive, but I am sure you get the point. In addition, you should consider the type of patients you will encounter in the private sector if considering private practice. In general, the Plastic Surgery patients can be more demanding and high maintainence than the general ENT patient. Residency training should also be considered since ENT usually a 5 year program with a pseudo gsurg intern year while Plastics is a 6 year program with 3 years of general surgery. I would suggest doing a sub I in each of the specialties to decide which you area better suits your interests and career goals.