PRS practice & lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was sure about doing orthopedics since day 1 of med school, but have recently started thinking seriously about PRS because of the technical skill level, the creativity, and the broad general surgery experience in residency. However, I'm finding it much harder to find mentors & information to help me make this decision, and to figure out how to go about getting into a program. I would appreciate any help I can get.

A little background: I'm a 3rd year student in the Northeast, and would like to stay in the Northeast. At the risk of sounding like I don't want it enough, family circumstances do not allow me to go to a program not in the Northeast. In addition, I don't like general surgery enough to do that & hope to get into a plastics fellowship 5 years later. I know this limits my options a lot, to about 10 programs. I obviously don't have anything plastics to brag about in my CV, but I have gotten good 3rd year grades and a decent USLME 1 score (240).

What can I do at this late stage to maximize my chances? What are the plastics programs looking for? Do I need to do 2 or 3 4th year electives in plastics?

Also, to help me decide in the first place, I would appreciate some descriptions of what exactly a PRS does, and what the lifestyle is like. I am not so keen on doing a lot of cosmetic procedures, although I'd be willing to do maybe 25% or less cosmetics. Is that possible? I have heard from sources of unknown reliability that if you do mostly non-cosmetic cases, your lifestyle will be pretty bad -- similar to a general surgeon. Is that true? How many hours are you actually working in a given week, after residency? What is the residency like compared to gen. surg. (I realize the 1st 3 years are gen. surg. years)?

Lastly, what are the kinds of procedures & percentages you would see in PRS, both cosmetic and reconstructive? I've worked with one PRS who does 80% breast reconstruction/augmentation. Another does an oocasional cleft lip, but mostly breast & lipo.

Thanks for the help,
b

Members don't see this ad.

"What can I do at this late stage to maximize my chances?" etc. etc.

Hi, Sorry to be brief - but rounds are at 6:30 tomorrow so I am short on sleep time.

My recommendation is to use the advanced search feature to find answers to your questions in previous posts on this forum, then after reading up on previous discussions ask your PD for input. All of these topics have been hashed and rehashed here and on www.plastics2002.com

Good luck.

Ergo said:
"What can I do at this late stage to maximize my chances?" etc. etc.

Hi, Sorry to be brief - but rounds are at 6:30 tomorrow so I am short on sleep time.

My recommendation is to use the advanced search feature to find answers to your questions in previous posts on this forum, then after reading up on previous discussions ask your PD for input. All of these topics have been hashed and rehashed here and on www.plastics2002.com

Thanks, that link was what I was looking for. Do you mean program director by PD ...? Assuming my med school has a plastics program ...?

And 6:30 ... gee ... come on, late morning there? This is surgery, not medicine. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Spend some time reading the history in this forum to get answers to simple questions.

And with regard to the comment on rounds that morning - I posted that reply at about 1:30a - the time stamp on my postings is not accurate because the server is in a different time zone - for example - it is 4:05pm as I write this reply.
With that in mind, I was at the hospital at 5a to preround for cardiology rounds at 6:30a. So, it actually IS medicine, at least for the time being.

I know what surgery is like. When you are in clinical years you will understand too. ;)

FYI: PD = Program director.

I know what surgery is like. When you are in clinical years you will understand too.

I guess you missed the part where they mentioned being a third year.

You guessed wrong...but I know you missed the wink.