ps confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

une

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the online app process.......does every school require a personal statement specific to their school....and also arent you supposed to write a general specifi ps anyway?? im confused

Members don't see this ad.

It's suppose to be general like the LORs.

You write a general personal statement on the PharmCAS website that gets sent to every school you apply to. But, a lot of the schools I applied to had a writing section on their supplemental application as well. That is when you would specifically write to that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The PS is general that is on PharmCAS. But every supplemental will have their own essay you need to write such as "describe what professionalism means to you, why this school?, etc...

If you need help writing the essay, there are posts on here that explain the general format on how to write it. I recently got accepted and basically used this format:
1)why you selected pharmacy as a career
2)how does a Doctor of Pharmacy degree relate to your immediate AND long-term professional goals
3)How does your personal, educational, AND professional background help you achieve these goals.

(This part is copied/pasted from another post and helped me a lot)
My personal statement was 3 paragraphs, one page typed single space...

1) How I decided I wanted to pursue a career in pharmacy

2) Explained my volunteer and work experiences and why I think they reinforced my decision to pursue a career in pharmacy

3) My plans for employment/residency once my PharmD is completed and my general goals for the future

ALSO I recommend adding 1-3 sentences describing any small problems in your transcript. I personally had to re-take a couple of classes and stated something like "My academic career did not start off the strongest, but I have grown through my trials and hardships and became a better person/student because of them. I re-took some courses to make sure I understood the biology/organic chemistry information better and more in detail." Good luck!

how is the supplemental writing essay different from the PharmCAS one? you can't just copy it?

The supplemental application essays are usually more specific.. Theyll either give you a prompt and you write about it or they give you the opportunity to elaborate on stuff from your PharmCAS application essay.