PS editing and critique services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some online essay editing and critique services like essayedge.com. THey charge around $185 and edit your PS within 48 hours. What do you guys think about these? Has anyone used this service?

Members don't see this ad.

you are getting ripped off then. Some other sites charge 75 to 125$

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. Ask people that have used any of them

You can use the search feature. People on SDN who have used the service tend to say that EssayEdge improved their essay but a lot of people disagree whether it was worth the price. Those who haven't used the service tend to say that it's not worth the price since SDNers do it for free.

I disagree with the latter group and say that it's helped my PS tremendously. SDNers just don't edit line by line like the paid services do. SDNers hunt more for problems in content rather than prose. I was tired of looking at my PS and sent them a near-final draft. I received back a draft that reads much better. The flow is improved, the PS is much more streamlined, and they flushed out my central ideas a little more.

I changed my PS slightly afterwards but found the service worth the price. It gives you a great deal of peace of mind once the PS is ready for submission and $120-160 is merely the price of a few schools on AMCAS. A good PS, however, will help you at many more schools if your numbers are mediocre. 15% and 20% off coupons abound too for EssayEdge.

Do a search on SDN and you'll find more examples. Good luck!

One of my close friends from college did this once. They dont critique content, only grammar.

I wouldn't do it simply because I've come to realize that I have a very unique writing style. People have told me that before, and after suggestion #30 that I should write a book, I started paying more attention to these comments, but it didn't really hit home until one day I posted something nondescriptive on Craigslist and within an hour got an e-mail from a close friend saying "Hey, is that you?" with the message quoted.:laugh: So I wanted to make sure that my writing remains MINE - I don't want my PS to be easy to confuse with someone else's, no matter how well-written it might be after a review by EssayEdge or whomever.

I wouldn't do it simply because I've come to realize that I have a very unique writing style. People have told me that before, and after suggestion #30 that I should write a book, I started paying more attention to these comments, but it didn't really hit home until one day I posted something nondescriptive on Craigslist and within an hour got an e-mail from a close friend saying "Hey, is that you?" with the message quoted.:laugh: So I wanted to make sure that my writing remains MINE - I don't want my PS to be easy to confuse with someone else's, no matter how well-written it might be after a review by EssayEdge or whomever.
Wait... Michelle? Is that you?

In all seriousness, though, the service left my voice more or less the same. I say more or less because I had them see if they could tone down the anal retentiveness of my prose. My editor was careful to leave most of my word choices and my sentence structure alone.

It's important that you don't let them mess with how you write, though, because if your secondaries are written considerably different from your PS, then schools will begin to ask questions. If your PS if extremely well written and your secondaries suck and it doesn't sound like the same person wrote them, then you're screwed.