PS for prelim/transitional year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silief

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the personal statement for prelim and transitional years:

Do you say why you want to go into Internal Medicine or Surgery (but for one year only)? Do you say why you are interested in "transitioning" for one year? Or do you just include the PS for the specialty you will ultimately be joining? What is a PD looking for?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I included most of my specialty PS with and added paragraph at the end about how a strong year in internal medicine will be the foundation for my future training . Or how a TY with a variety of experiences will enhance my ability to care for a variety patients and to effectively work with other specialties.

They know you are only going to be there for a year. Basically you want to show that you aren't going to blow off your internship and be a hard worker. The reason being the knowledge you gain will be very important to your clinical training in your future specialty and makes you a better doc.

i did the same as mmag, added a paragraph at the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the same PS for both my categorical and transitional year spot. I didn't change a thing.