PS just won't budge!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revilla

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. My VR and BS scores are at 12 and 11 respectively. My problem is PS started at 6, is now 7, and just won't budge. I spent two weeks doing a thorough review of Chem and Physics -- after my initial review last month -- and I truly feel like I know the concepts. Even reviewing the practice test I just took (where I got a 7 in PS), I noticed that I knew the concepts but I just made careless errors or I didn't consider all the variables. I don't know what to do. I don't want to postpone my test (June 13) for this one section because I can't take it until August if I do, but I might have to if I can't get a handle on this.

I have four AAMC practice tests left.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a specific book you are using? Try getting a different review book from B&N or Borders or something. Also, if you're not looking through the material very well, try using the scratch paper to write down the variables and equations, might help a bit.

I've been using TPR, EK (both the review books and the 1001 questions), and Nova Physics.

I'm thinking about just taking a (TPR) PS practice test every morning this week and then doing my four AAMC practice tests next week up until test day. I don't know how much it'll help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been using TPR, EK (both the review books and the 1001 questions), and Nova Physics.

I'm thinking about just taking a (TPR) PS practice test every morning this week and then doing my four AAMC practice tests next week up until test day. I don't know how much it'll help.

Keep in mind that TPR PS sections are scored significantly lower than AAMC, so try not to get discouraged with those scores. If you think that you can do better with more time, then I would postpone the test. Since it is too late to cancel now, you may as well at least take it (and then if you knew you weren't ready, void it, so you can see a real mcat). Keep in mind also that everyone feels awful about their test walking out (so I would probably decide on voiding it or not before taking the test but that's just me). Hope this helps!

Keep in mind that TPR PS sections are scored significantly lower than AAMC, so try not to get discouraged with those scores. If you think that you can do better with more time, then I would postpone the test. Since it is too late to cancel now, you may as well at least take it (and then if you knew you weren't ready, void it, so you can see a real mcat). Keep in mind also that everyone feels awful about their test walking out (so I would probably decide on voiding it or not before taking the test but that's just me). Hope this helps!

You're right. I'm going to go ahead and take the test since I'm going to lose the money anyway. I just don't know whether or not to void it. I know TPR practice tests are harder, but I don't want to waste the AAMC ones in case I decide I'm not ready to have the real thing scored.

I just don't know how to raise my PS score. Even if I void this one and sit for one of the August administrations or even July, what can I do to improve? My friends keep telling me that PS is the easiest one to improve, but I'm not seeing it.

Doing practice sections is probably your best bet. I found that I would make lots of stupid mistakes as well (things I knew, but just read the question wrong or whatever). My best defense against this was to get my timing down solid so that I would have 8-10 minutes to check my work. I would usually find 2 or 3 stupid mistakes and correct them which helps boost your score to where it should be.

That's something to try. Right now, I'm finishing with about a minute or so to spare.

For the June 13th administration, you probably will not have time to use BR, but Berkeley Review Chemistry is great. I would definitely recommend ordering it if you do decide to take it again in August. Also, maybe just take one of the AAMC ones a few days before your test to see where you are actually at with PS (because PR does not do an accurate job of predicting...use them only as a studying device not as an indicator of your preparedness). If you are not scoring in the range that is acceptable to you on the AAMC test, then just take the test and void it.

I had this problem until the very end. I ended up doing problems until I was sick of them and redoing EVERY practice test I'd taken until I could get a 13+ on it. Doesn't seem like it would be too beneficial... but it is. Just do them at least a couple weeks after the first attempt so that you haven't merely memorized the material.

My first diagnostic PS: 4
First real thing: 7
Second: 8
Final: 10

Doing practice sections is probably your best bet. I found that I would make lots of stupid mistakes as well (things I knew, but just read the question wrong or whatever).

I've had the same experience, practice practice practice! This assumes you've already reviewed the tests you've completed and found the major reasons for wrong answers to be missing a variable/detail? (rather than subject knowledge)

I was surprised for a recent aamc exam I'd completed, there were a number of problems I got wrong despite understanding the question & how to set it up, but failed to do math right or missed some phrase from the passage that made one of the choices more correct; practice should get you from "80% right" to closer to 100% for those questions.

I think the best advice I can give is to take a review course, I took Kaplan, I used their Physics Review, their online quizes and review, and lots of Practice exams, I wound up with a 12 on my PS, I only wish my VR score was better, I only got a 9 on that one.