PS question and Activities question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melbatoast

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am finishing up final touches on my primary and have two issues for which I have gotten mixed advice from advisors and mentors. Hoping someone here might be able to sway the vote.

First:
My personal statement encompasses about 4 different stages of my life that led to medicine. One set of readers has advised me that these 4 stories, while building a cohesive narrative, start to feel too much like a resume. Other readers have said that by cutting one of the experiences I lose some of my 'why medicine'. I know any advice will be limited without having read the statement and the experiences, but just in general is there a limit on the number of 'steps' on the path to medicine you should highlight in a personal statement vs talking about in a most meaningful activity? about 4800 characters if I cut a story, 5250 if I leave all in.

Second:
I have a weird situation with an award I received. I attended school A for my freshman and sophomore year, and then transferred to school B for my final two years. At school A, they take your academic performance from the first two years and the top 100 students (out of about 25,000) receive an accolade of 'Top Scholar' for their junior year. I received Top Scholar from school A during my junior year, even though I was already attending school B. I'd like to mention this achievement (along with others) in an activity section, but worry it would raise red flags to declare it for a year I was no longer attending school A. I'd rather leave it out completely than raise any concerns, despite the fact that it was a legitimate achievement. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a weird situation with an award I received. I attended school A for my freshman and sophomore year, and then transferred to school B for my final two years. At school A, they take your academic performance from the first two years and the top 100 students (out of about 25,000) receive an accolade of 'Top Scholar' for their junior year. I received Top Scholar from school A during my junior year, even though I was already attending school B. I'd like to mention this achievement (along with others) in an activity section, but worry it would raise red flags to declare it for a year I was no longer attending school A. I'd rather leave it out completely than raise any concerns, despite the fact that it was a legitimate achievement. Thoughts?
You earned the designation Top Scholar based on your performance in your first two years of college. It's fine to list it, despite the delayed announcement date of the award, which does not take away from the distinction Be sure to mention the criteria. Use the Registrar from college #1 as the Contact.

Reactions: 1 user
You earned the designation Top Scholar based on your performance in your first two years of college. It's fine to list it, despite the delayed announcement date of the award, which does not take away from the distinction Be sure to mention the criteria. Use the Registrar from college #1 as the Contact.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

Reactions: 1 user