Ps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanju2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have applied for various residency programs, but have'nt received any interview call.The reason may be due to a gap and the number of attempts to pass usmle. I have modified my PSs.If I reassign the modified PSs to the already applied programs will they download at all or not. If yes what kind of impact its going to have on the PDs. The edition is not flipping the whole content of the PS but it is more polished and written in a bit different way. I will appreciate your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you submit a new PS, it will erase the old PS from each program's file and replace with the new. If programs have printed out a copy of your PS, they will now have both to review.

Programs sometimes look at the quality of written English in your PS -- however this is usually less important factor than poor USMLE scores or a break in your training. If you don't take the time / get the help to fix grammatical errors etc, then that might hurt you. Some programs have started having applicants write a small paragraph at the interview day, to check your English skills also.

At this point, your PS is something you can fix. You can't fix your USMLE scores or any break in your training, so you might as well make your PS look as good as possible. SHould you not find a spot this year and try again next, I would suggest getting your PS as close to perfect as possible before applying.

I highly appreciate yor response. In my old PS grammar part was ok. What i found it was the wording and the expression which needed to be edited. I uesd some words which I realized later may give negative impression about me to a reader. So, now I have re written the whole PS.
I am only worried the programs who has already downloaded my old PS and have the hard copy of that and if they download the new copy. Are they going to consider the new PS in a positive or negative sense.

If you submit a new PS, it will erase the old PS from each program's file and replace with the new. If programs have printed out a copy of your PS, they will now have both to review.

Programs sometimes look at the quality of written English in your PS -- however this is usually less important factor than poor USMLE scores or a break in your training. If you don't take the time / get the help to fix grammatical errors etc, then that might hurt you. Some programs have started having applicants write a small paragraph at the interview day, to check your English skills also.

At this point, your PS is something you can fix. You can't fix your USMLE scores or any break in your training, so you might as well make your PS look as good as possible. SHould you not find a spot this year and try again next, I would suggest getting your PS as close to perfect as possible before applying.

If you've improved the personal statement, that shouldn't hurt. The question is whether they'll download it or just use the older one.