PSAT/SAT help and adivce?

bailey42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Today I got my PSAT scores back...and I must say I'm a little disappointed. My scores are as follows:

Critical Reading: 68 (99% percentile for sophomores)
Math: 59 :eek: (89% for sophomores)
Writing: 67 (99% for sophomores)

I was hoping to get at least in the 70s range for each category, since I averaged about a 210 on the practice tests I took. Also, I was wondering what the percentile deal is about...and why do they make it seem like I did much better than what my scores say? Sorry, I'm a bit inexperienced with standardized tests like this :oops:.

I'm only a sophomore, so I know I have another year to practice, but I was wondering what you guys recommend for next year. Prep classes? Practice books? I heard Kaplan is an overrated source...is that true? Also just to get an idea, roughly how much time do you recommend to take to study for the SAT?

I also was wondering, when it comes time to apply to colleges, do they see/take into account your percentile for your grade, or do they just look at the raw scores? According to the percentile I was placed in, I did very well, but my actual scores, on the other hand, are not up to par.

I know I shouldn't really be freaking out about this now, but I am :rolleyes: Sorry for the long post and any help is appreciated.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry so much. You're a sophomore and still have plenty of time to improve your scores. A 194 cumulative for a sophomore is pretty good anyway. With some prepping, you should be able to get at least Commended status on the PSAT as a junior.

Percentile isn't a big deal. It's nice to say, "Oh, I scored in the 99th percentile in this section," but no one's going to be asking what percentile you landed in, just what your score out of 800 for each section was. One reason your percentiles may sound high is because you're being compared against all high-school sophomores across the nation, many of whom haven't started studying or seriously prepping for these tests yet. You might see those same percentiles change when you take the test again next year.

As far as prepping goes, that's a personal choice. I'm not a fan of my classroom prep classes, but you may be. Explore your options. Thankfully, you have time for that.

Hey everyone!

Today I got my PSAT scores back...and I must say I'm a little disappointed. My scores are as follows:

I was hoping to get at least in the 70s range for each category, since I averaged about a 210 on the practice tests I took. Also, I was wondering what the percentile deal is about...and why do they make it seem like I did much better than what my scores say? Sorry, I'm a bit inexperienced with standardized tests like this :oops:.

I'm only a sophomore, so I know I have another year to practice, but I was wondering what you guys recommend for next year. Prep classes? Practice books? I heard Kaplan is an overrated source...is that true? Also just to get an idea, roughly how much time do you recommend to take to study for the SAT?

I also was wondering, when it comes time to apply to colleges, do they see/take into account your percentile for your grade, or do they just look at the raw scores? According to the percentile I was placed in, I did very well, but my actual scores, on the other hand, are not up to par.

I know I shouldn't really be freaking out about this now, but I am :rolleyes: Sorry for the long post and any help is appreciated.:D

For PSAT, the percentile is used to show how well you really ARE doing. The fact you are in a high percentage means alot, and means you should do well on the SAT when it comes time. The PSAT is just a diagnostic, and you will do better on the SAT than you did on the PSAT because you will learn more over the next year and a half.

Colleges only look at raw scores. Percentages mean nothing with the actual test in all truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
About test prep: I have never taken a classroom course, I just studied on my own, so I don't know anything about that. You might want to get the official "blue" SAT book by the collegeboard, the Princeton review book, and if math is your weakest subject, get a book that specifically focuses on math. Since you seem to be shooting for a pretty high score, try to get a more intense book...called SAT 2400 I think? I didn't use it, but I wish I had. I wouldn't worry about studying for the SAT just yet-you can do that next summer and have plenty of time. I think most people use the SAT books to prep for the PSAT (but obviously no essay).

Good Luck:luck: You have a good score already, I'm sure you'll be fine.

About test prep: I have never taken a classroom course, I just studied on my own, so I don't know anything about that. You might want to get the official "blue" SAT book by the collegeboard, the Princeton review book, and if math is your weakest subject, get a book that specifically focuses on math. Since you seem to be shooting for a pretty high score, try to get a more intense book...called SAT 2400 I think? I didn't use it, but I wish I had. I wouldn't worry about studying for the SAT just yet-you can do that next summer and have plenty of time. I think most people use the SAT books to prep for the PSAT (but obviously no essay).

Good Luck:luck: You have a good score already, I'm sure you'll be fine.

to OP, make the collegeboard "blue book" that glowworm is talking about your best friend.

Those stats seem very good for a sophomore. I wouldn't worry to much. I am a junior and I just got back my psats back. 167 which is allright but since that time I have been studying from the college board book and actually took the sats and I scored a 2100. :)

shasan07 said:
make the collegeboard "blue book" that glowworm is talking about your best friend.

Will do. Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Hey everyone!

You beat the crap out of my 1350, as long as you have over a 3.5 GPA and over a 2k on the SAT I's, you are golden.

I am going to start using Princeton Review. Kaplan is fine.

I cannot believe you said your scores are not up to par, THEY ARE FINE! My friend is 15 in his class and he got an 1800 on the SAT's! Chill out.

jefgreen said:
I cannot believe you said your scores are not up to par, THEY ARE FINE! My friend is 15 in his class and he got an 1800 on the SAT's! Chill out.

I guess I tend to be a little hard on myself...but if I'm gonna take the test I might as well try to kick butt, right? :)