PSLF & moonlighting for a for-profit

Started by tallash
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tallash

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm interested in moonlighting for a local physician's group that is a for-profit private practice but has quite a few patients on the inpatient side they cover with hospitalists. I'm currently a fellow in Hem Onc and intend to stay in academic medicine and eventually pursue the PSLF program.

My question is: do I give up any eligibility in PSLF by moonlighting for a for-profit group when I am a fellow employed by a non profit?

Thanks.
 
As far as I know there's nothing that mentions your specific situation (being employed full-time at a non-profit but also having a side job at a for-profit company), but according to the PSLF guidelines, you just have to work full time for a non-profit, which you are. So if you're working an additional job, that shouldn't impact your eligibility.

Also--nothing disqualifies you from PSLF. You can still work at a for-profit company--it's just that the payments you make while working with that company aren't PSLF-eligible. But if you then return to a non-profit, then payments made while at the non-profit will count, as well as any prior payments made while at a non-profit (such as residency). The 10-years of working at a non-profit don't have to be consecutive.