PSLF Question on 2nd Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lem0nz

Broke Rule 3 of GS
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

Will keep this short. Have a job offer I like in the place I want to live but the salary is crummy for my level of training and it’s a for profit. I’m 7/10 years into PSLF from training.

It is an academic type job however and is closely affiliated (but distinctly separate) with a local medical school. I can get a full assistant professor appointment at the school which I think may solve my loan problems and I do as a “second job”. The thing I’m wondering is do I actually have to get paid by the school? If they’re willing to sign the certification form stating I give them at least 30 hours a week and they’re a non profit, that should suffice yes? The available information is clear you can’t volunteer and have to be employed and it defines full time as 30 hours, and I think I can do that. An eventual small salary/compensation is planned for the medical school work anyway but is not guaranteed, particularly up front, hence my question. Would appointment as faculty and their HR/payroll people signing off that I work full time with them be adequate?

I meet all other requirements for PSLF.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought full time was 36hrs or more, but go by whatever is on the sheet.

Generally a representative of whoever signs your check is who verifies the form. You would have to get paid by the school to qualify (of note, many academic attendings DO NOT qualify because even though the academic center is nonprofit, the physician’s group that employs the docs may not be).

If someone says your situation would qualify I’d be very hesitant. Still take the job if it’s what you want, but prep for the possibility of those certifications getting overturned I’m even if you do get HR from the school to sign it.

Thank ya. I figured as much. Hoping this can still be my loophole but suppose I will have to negotiate a contract with the medical school to make it really work.