PSU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabruen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a weird email from Penn State yesterday. It sounds like they are asking "Are you sure you want to waste our time and yours by interviewing here? We assume you don't want to come, but if you still plan on going through with this, let us know." Do they really have this big of an inferiority complex? What do others think of the school? I was planning on going because I had heard many good things (also because I have friends nearby I was planning on visiting), but I am leaning towards canceling.

Dear Applicant,

You are scheduled for an interview at the Penn State College of Medicine on October 25, 2002. If you are withdrawing from the applicant pool, please cancel your interview by contacting the Office of Student Affairs-Admissions at 717-531-8755 or email [email protected] Please note: other applicants would appreciate the opportunity to move up their interview date if a slot becomes available.

If you plan to keep your interview date, please take time to review and finalize your plans for travel and lodging. The day will include a walking tour of the College of Medicine and University Hospital. Please be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes. We all look forward to your visit to the medical campus and appreciate your interest in the College of Medicine.

Marc Lubbers
Admissions Representative

I would aprpeciate any thoughts.

(for clarification, I got the initial interview invitation and scheduled the interview over a month ago. I got this email this week, just one week before the actual interview. It was not part of the initial letter. It was clearly an email directed separately.)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's pretty standard in an interview letter to include a few sentences about withdrawing your application out of courtesy for others, and it doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on the school. I have received interview invitations from top 10 schools that also say something to a similar effect.

They must have people who are not showing up on the day of the scheduled interview without any notice. They probably are just making sure that you will indeed be there, because if you are not (say, because you recently got accepted to another school), then they could offer that interview spot to someone else. So my guess is they do not wanted to become backlogged with interviewees.

Or it could just be that your application is so good that they wonder why you would show up to an interview in Hershey, PA, when you have the stuff for Harvard.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SolidGold
Or it could just be that your application is so good that they wonder why you would show up to an interview in Hershey, PA, when you have the stuff for Harvard.:)

Is the PSU med school in Hershey instead of State College? :)

I received the same email from Penn State the day before my interview. My guess is that they send that out to everyone, and that it is not some kind of "I know we are nobody" email. I think they just want to get their schedule straight.

But anyway, when I was there I thought the students were awesome. Everyone went out of their way to say hi to all of the interviewees, and they all seemed happy and proud to be part of the school. I wound up staying with a college buddy of mine, who is an MS1 there. He loves the atmosphere that the student body produces. Everyone is always willing to help out, and there is no competition between members of the class. The only qualm I had with the school is that it is in the middle of nowhere, which kinda sucks, but that may be your cup of tea. The actual interviews I had there were absolutely NO STRESS, which is pretty much agreed across the board for people who interview there. The interviewers are not looking to get you, they just want to chat.

But anyway, if you choose to go, then you will enjoy it I think. It isn't the most superb medical complex, but I really felt at home with the attitudes of the students there. They were really cool. Good luck!

Originally saw your name as Dr. Cheech instead of Dr. Chooch!
sasmokin.gif

Originally posted by Random Access
Originally saw your name as Dr. Cheech instead of Dr. Chooch!
sasmokin.gif

Well, Cheech is my real name RA ;) , and it's about 4:20 now. :p

I am an MSI at Penn State. I am really enjoying it here so far. The other students are great. We have our last anatomy exam on Friday, but I will try to stop by and say hello. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Originally posted by Random Access
Is the PSU med school in Hershey instead of State College? :)

It's the Milton S. Hershey medical center. That was a condition of getting the money for the med school, that they'd build it in Hershey, PA in the middle of NOWHERE. A few buildings were donated. But, don't try to do any RNA work in them, chocolate is full of RNAse and it seems that no matter how many times they'red washed they can't get it out :)