Psy.D Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyD123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have advice for preparation of interviews for Psy.D programs? My first interview is approaching and I'm quite excited.

Members don't see this ad.

Another question related to this...I realize in Ph.D programs, you are generally assigned to a faculty member, and you interview with him/her. Is this the case with Psy.D programs-that you work under one faculty member? I did not specifiy a faculty member I wanted to work with in my application and I believe I'm interviewing with multiple faculty members. Thank you for any insight!

PsyD123 said:
Another question related to this...I realize in Ph.D programs, you are generally assigned to a faculty member, and you interview with him/her. Is this the case with Psy.D programs-that you work under one faculty member? I did not specifiy a faculty member I wanted to work with in my application and I believe I'm interviewing with multiple faculty members. Thank you for any insight!
In my PsyD program, I was assigned an advisor, which I meet with when signing up for classes.

PsyD123 said:
Anyone have advice for preparation of interviews for Psy.D programs? My first interview is approaching and I'm quite excited.

I interviewed for two PsyD programs in January and have gotten accepted at both. I over prepared for the interview with the first school, although I can't say this was a bad thing. I would suggest you go create a several folders for yourself to prepare. Among them should be; a) Folder 1:all your admissions materials, including your essay, b) Folder 2: a folder of everything abt the school, including any pages you have printed out from online sources, their web page, faculty research interests, history of the school, info abt every aspect of their Psy D program, etc., c) Folder 3: a folder with class material from key psychology courses ( eg. info on WAIS testing, MMPI, different theoretical paradigms/orientations, etc.), d) Folder 4: magazines such as APA Monitor and recent relevant industry articles. I had a few other folders, but these were the most impt for me. I would then be sure to read and review these folders leading up to the interview. Also, be sure to memorize some key faculty names and research interests. You want to give the impression that you are informed on the school and their program. I got some rest the night before the interview at an area hotel and got up early to review my folders. My final piece of advice is to appear both relaxed and not too intense. You want to give an impression of quiet confidence. You also want to be approachable and open, but not too eager and desperate. You also want to appear friendly and professional. Also, if you open your mouth at any point on interview day, be sure to say something valid and intelligent. Finally, you must wear a business suit. I found many people under-dressed, which is a bad move and sends the msg that you do not take this seriously. I hope this helps! Best of LUCK!