MA/MS Psy graduate program for a master's degree holder

Started by SylvieK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SylvieK

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I earned my master's degree from a high ranked graduate school in 2010.
After working in my field since then, I realized that pursuing a career in psychology is really what I want.
Although I have a master's degree, I don't think it's possible for me to get into a psy doctoral program.
So I looked at several graduate programs and their application requirement, which include some pre-requisite.
Since I've always been interested in psy, I read some books but was able to take only 1 psy course in my undergrad which was about "substance abuse."
My goal is to earn a doctoral degree and focus on research, publication, etc. I love interacting with people and listen to their issues but I'm a bit stronger on the scholastic side.

Do I need to go back to undergrad and take Introductory Psychology, basic Statistics class and such?
I looked at undergrad psy programs in my area but due to the CA budget cuts, most schools don't accept post-bacc student, which leaves me with pretty much one option to take the pre-req at community college.
In a case that I do need pre-req, would classes from community college hurt my chance of admission to a grad program?
 
Last edited:
Most phd programs are going to require a certain set of psych undergrad coursework, including intro, stats, research methods at minimum. Different programs may have different requirements. I don't think they would discriminate against community college coursework, but can't say for sure. But keep in mind that getting good grades in these courses is just a very small part of what is being evaluated. You may or may not be able to find an research methods class at your local CC though, which many schools will look for.

Either way, you will also need some real research experience in order to gain admission.