psych after Im pGY-1 anyone..?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gmonavydoc

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I completed a PGY-1 in IM then spent 4 years as a Navy GMO (civilian equivalent of nonresidency trained GP basically functioning as a UC doc in the box for the military in exchange for a free private school med education). this was fun and I traveled alot making 90K-100k yr x 4 w/o any Ed Debt.

Now my obligation is up and the Navy monkey off my back allowing me to reenter civilian life take a pay cut and pick a residency to finish. I origianlly 4 yrs ago wanted ER and did a IM prelim however 4 yrs of basically functioning in an acute care/ ambulat. care setting made me realize it was psychiatry I really enjoyed. I also moonlight at a state psych hospital providing h and p and med coverage for ward pts on weekends thus allowing me to gain insight within psychiatric medicine. i know I love it however w/ a IM PGY-1 can I apply for PGY-2 Psych and finish in the normal 36 months? Does psych usually save spots for transfers IM/trans interns who decide PGY-2 that psych is their calling?

Thanks
 
I know many programs (mine included) accept a limited number of PGY-2s. As long as you have fulfilled the basic requirements of a psychiatry PGY-1 resident (internal medicine, etc), you can apply to many programs as a PGY-2 and finish the remaining three years of psychiatry residency. Try this link to search for all the programs and look at their online brochures. Click on Residency/Fellowship Training Program Search and select Psychiatry and any limiters. Many places state if and how many PGY-2s they take. Good luck.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2997.html
 
Hopkins takes approximately half of its residents in a given class during the pgy-2 year -- many of them have done a prelim medicine year. The only issue that might arise is managing to fit the two months of neurology into the remaining part of the residency.