Psych Assistant Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonb123

Headline
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm curious to hear about peoples experiences as psych assistants. I'm interested in obtaining one myself and was considering writing a brief article on the topic. I'm I'll be starting my third year of graduate school next year and there's a scarce amount of information out there about this role.

Please considering addressing the following in your reply:

At what point in your training did you work in this capacity?

How did you obtain the assistantship?

How did you get clients? Did your supervisor refer clients for you?

Did you pay rent for the use of the office?

Did you pay for supervision?

How was the rate/your payment negotiated - did the supervisor take a percentage? If so, how much?

Overall, how was the experience? Was it worth while monetarily? As a learning experience?

Many thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm curious to hear about peoples experiences as psych assistants. I'm interested in obtaining one myself and was considering writing a brief article on the topic. I'm I'll be starting my third year of graduate school next year and there's a scarce amount of information out there about this role.

Please considering addressing the following in your reply:

At what point in your training did you work in this capacity?

How did you obtain the assistantship?

How did you get clients? Did your supervisor refer clients for you?

Did you pay rent for the use of the office?

Did you pay for supervision?

How was the rate/your payment negotiated - did the supervisor take a percentage? If so, how much?

Overall, how was the experience? Was it worth while monetarily? As a learning experience?

Many thanks...
Jonb- What exactly do you mean when you say psych assistant? Are you talking about like being an assistant for a practicing clinician? If that's what you have in mind...that's what I do.

sorry if that wasn't clear.... Somebody seeing clients under a practicing psychologists license. mainly intersted in hearing from people working in a private practice...

thx!