Psych C&L away rotation during Interview Season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawaiipupae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to a C&L rotation from October through the first week of November at a program I'm very interested in but my dean and rotation coordinator have advised me not to go. Their reasoning is that I may miss out on scheduling interviews and it would reflect poorly on me to go to any interviews during this rotation.

What are your thoughts? Does the service being C&L affect things in that I can schedule to work on weekends to make up for lost time? I also checked on the program director's survey and the majority (~30%) of interviews are offered Nov and Dec each so I figure I can just try to schedule interviews later on in the month and at most take only one day during the rotation to interview. But of course I've never been through the process and would appreciate some input!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to a C&L rotation from October through the first week of November at a program I'm very interested in but my dean and rotation coordinator have advised me not to go. Their reasoning is that I may miss out on scheduling interviews and it would reflect poorly on me to go to any interviews during this rotation.

What are your thoughts? Does the service being C&L affect things in that I can schedule to work on weekends to make up for lost time? I also checked on the program director's survey and the majority (~30%) of interviews are offered Nov and Dec each so I figure I can just try to schedule interviews later on in the month and at most take only one day during the rotation to interview. But of course I've never been through the process and would appreciate some input!
Take the rotation--there will be plenty of interviews in late Nov, Dec, and Jan.
If you have a critical interview come up during the rotation, preceptors generally understand. Be direct and open in your communication, and give as much advance notice as you have to give.

Reactions: 1 users
I would do the away if this is a top program for you. You still have 3/4 of November, all of December, and all of January to interview. You may be able to interview at the away program toward the end of your rotation there.

I wouldn’t bank on them letting you make-up days on weekends though. Many places including my program only saw consults M-F.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If this program doesn't show some understanding that interviews are important, I would look at that as a bad sign. Clearly you shouldn't over do it and you should ask them for the time in advance, but if it isn't more than a day or two, they should say yes.

Oh, and by the way, deans and rotation coordinators form beliefs from their experiences with all medical specialties. They often get psychiatry wrong. It is about numbers and schools and such, but knowing you and who you are trumps a lot more than it might in ortho for example. At any rate, you now have three people who work in psychiatry training and recruitment telling you the same thing. Go be great on C&L.

Reactions: 3 users
This question is asked frequently and the answer is the same. Write to the course director and explainyou are excited to do this rotation and aim to schedule interviews later on but if not possible would it be okay to attend an interview or two. Offer to make up the time.

I always tell students to just do the rotation. Seriously we deal with this every year. You are not the only one who deals with interviews. As long as you are not gone the whole time, ask in advance, and offer to make up the time (btw I never make students make up the time but I do expect them to offer and will ding you if you don’t,)

This question is asked frequently and the answer is the same. Write to the course director and explainyou are excited to do this rotation and aim to schedule interviews later on but if not possible would it be okay to attend an interview or two. Offer to make up the time.

I always tell students to just do the rotation. Seriously we deal with this every year. You are not the only one who deals with interviews. As long as you are not gone the whole time, ask in advance, and offer to make up the time (btw I never make students make up the time but I do expect them to offer and will ding you if you don’t,)

Lol why do u want them to offer if you are going to decline their offer

Last edited:
Same reason if a water spills on me I expect the restaurant to offer to cover the dry cleaning, but I probably wouldn't bother to make them do it.

Oh, and by the way, deans and rotation coordinators form beliefs from their experiences with all medical specialties. They often get psychiatry wrong. It is about numbers and schools and such, but knowing you and who you are trumps a lot more than it might in ortho for example. At any rate, you now have three people who work in psychiatry training and recruitment telling you the same thing. Go be great on C&L.

I appreciate your reply and words of wisdom. I'm going to accept the away rotation. My advisors are just being cautious, but I'm grateful they care. I'm so excited to have found my people, and I'll try my best!

Same reason if a water spills on me I expect the restaurant to offer to cover the dry cleaning, but I probably wouldn't bother to make them do it.

If water spills on you you get your clothes dry cleaned? Wtf? Also if a restaurant spills something on you they have damaged your goods and obviously should compensate you in some way. That is a horrible analogy that has nothing to do with a med student missing a couple of days to go interview..lol

I did three away psych C&L rotations and in every circumstance the attendings (and PD in one instance) expressed understanding and encouragement to go to interviews. Some even had it in the syllabus that 1 interview was permitted without needing to make up hours on a weekend. Unless where you're rotating is at the top of your list, I'd argue that the quantity of interviews is more important than worrying about missing a few days.

If water spills on you you get your clothes dry cleaned? Wtf? Also if a restaurant spills something on you they have damaged your goods and obviously should compensate you in some way. That is a horrible analogy that has nothing to do with a med student missing a couple of days to go interview..lol
I am pretty sure he meant waiter. Just forgot the I. Good thread I had the same question.

I did three away psych C&L rotations and in every circumstance the attendings (and PD in one instance) expressed understanding and encouragement to go to interviews. Some even had it in the syllabus that 1 interview was permitted without needing to make up hours on a weekend. Unless where you're rotating is at the top of your list, I'd argue that the quantity of interviews is more important than worrying about missing a few days.

That's a bit extra...

That's a bit extra...
Tell me about it...it's all I could get at the time. No advising at my school in regards to psych. Though as a new intern, I actually think the 3 months of C&L has been very advantageous, especially at a site that doesn't have a C&L service currently.

Tell me about it...it's all I could get at the time. No advising at my school in regards to psych. Though as a new intern, I actually think the 3 months of C&L has been very advantageous, especially at a site that doesn't have a C&L service currently.

Wow..... any advice for an M4 other than the usual, show on time and be an enthusiastic, normal human?

Wow..... any advice for an M4 other than the usual, show on time and be an enthusiastic, normal human?
Know your patients well, and do you best to put together a personalised treatment recommendation. Even if you're wrong, it means a lot to challenge yourself and try. Also, in the world of C&L, holding medications may very well be more important than adjusting or adding something.