Psych classes for BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roche112

Reaction score
Psych courses for science GPA?

I know 99% of psych classes don’t count but I have a few I was wondering if there was a possibility of them counting towards science GPA as I have heard some schools make an exception if it was mostly science based.

The 3 classes I’m wondering about are
1) “Statistics for behavioral sciences” (basically normal stats but going a little more into detail with examples you’d find in psych research papers) - and you can also take normal stats in place of this

2) physiological psychology (Mostly brain anatomy, firing of neuronal signals and some relation to physiological bases of psych disorders)

3) sensation and perception - this one is more iffy but there was also a lot of anatomy of the eye and the physical way our body responds to stimuli

Thank you in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

1) and 2) will definitely count as BCPM classes. 3) you can kind of make an argument for, so might as well label it as BCPM and let AMCAS decide for you (they'll change it to non-science with no penalty if it isn't BCPM).

2) physiological psychology (Mostly brain anatomy, firing of neuronal signals and some relation to physiological bases of psych disorders)
My physiological psychology course was counted toward my sGPA in AMCAS this cycle (20-21).

Reactions: 1 user
Lets clarify something here.

1) the classification of courses as BCPM is done by AMCAS not by the schools. The courses are classified based solely in course content and not by department. Classification is done to create “science” (BCPM) vs “non-science” (all other) GPAs

2) individual schools decide what specific courses they will accept as fulfilling prereqs or instructors they will accept as science or non-science for letters of evaluation.

3) so for example here while statistics for behavioral science may be classified as math by AMCAS there are a few schools that may not accept it as fulfilling a math requirement and more that may not accept a letter from the instructor as science
Thank you for the clarification! I wasn’t planning on using those professors for “science” recs but definitely good to know that each school has their own standards foe accepting vs not.
Would it be worth it to email a few schools I’m particularly interested in to see if they would count it ? Or just leave it until applying and see what AMCAS says?

Psych courses for science GPA?

I know 99% of psych classes don’t count but I have a few I was wondering if there was a possibility of them counting towards science GPA as I have heard some schools make an exception if it was mostly science based.

The 3 classes I’m wondering about are
1) “Statistics for behavioral sciences” (basically normal stats but going a little more into detail with examples you’d find in psych research papers) - and you can also take normal stats in place of this

3) sensation and perception - this one is more iffy but there was also a lot of anatomy of the eye and the physical way our body responds to stimuli

Thank you in advance!!!
Did we go to the same school bc I literally took those classes.

Stats counted. Physio Psych and Sensation and Perception did not, for AMCAS. ACOMAS (or whatever the DO system acronym is) counted Physio Psych.