Psych Clearance for BVNA???

Started by drusso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yeah, often get it requested from insurers and I think it's in the CMS LCD. I think it was a criteria in the clinical trials for approval so easier to just have it done.

If I remember right there are people that suggest a psychologist should assess anyone before they enter a pain clinic for an intervention. The argument being that they can identify who is most likely going to need more than interventional help with their assessment
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cigna had this in their policy….. when they had a policy (before they switched to evicore)…. I have not come across others requiring it since then. Granted there have been LCDs coming out as more Medicare and regional blue carriers come on board with positive coverage policies.
 
If/when it is needed… There are a couple telehealth companies who make the process pretty easy. Same as I use for scs clearance.
I had one just two days ago provide legitimately good psych advice and didn’t let slip a rather severely psychiatrically tenuous 40 yo with RLE CRPS (actual CRPS, Budapest +).

Get this BS - She wanted to try ketamine, so I referred to another local pain guy who does it. She did a few infusions and it didn’t work so he has her on 100mg oral HS, each dose she is having panic attacks and destabilizing emotional lability when she does it. He is managing her depression with it, and so I referred her to a psychiatrist and told her to stop it. I’ll trial her AFTER she is in a better place psychiatrically.

Pain docs shouldn’t be managing severe depression with ketamine, you’re just not qualified bro.
 
Another BVNA psych clearance.

"Statement from a primary care physician, neurologist, physiatrist, psychiatrist, psychologist, or
other licensed behavioral and/or medical health care provider attesting to the absence of
untreated, underlying mental health conditions/issues (e.g., depression, drug, alcohol abuse) as
a major contributor to chronic back pain."