Psych GRE Scores - To send or not to send

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookitssara

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the psych GRE and did...not super well, scoring a 649 I think, which was 64th percentile.

Some schools I'm applying tosay something like "subject test helpful but not required". I was a psych undergrad major (well, it was my secondary major, which means I took all the req'ed courses) and have a 4.0 psych GPA (3.95 other).

So...should I send them?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, there isn't much variance on the psych subject test, so you're probably fine. But check the average score on the full disclosure on the website if they list it.

I took the psych GRE and did...not super well, scoring a 649 I think, which was 64th percentile.

Some schools I'm applying tosay something like "subject test helpful but not required". I was a psych undergrad major (well, it was my secondary major, which means I took all the req'ed courses) and have a 4.0 psych GPA (3.95 other).

So...should I send them?

650 is a decent score, don't worry about it. if you crack a 600 you're good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
650 is a decent score, don't worry about it. if you crack a 600 you're good to go.

I'd agree, especially considering your high GPA. If you had a mediocre GPA in psych, then the GRE could play a more important role in counteracting that and convincing schools you know your stuff. Even then, 650 is a respectable score.

I was wondering how everyone prepared for the subject test, and how much time you put into it? I graduated as a psych major (3.9 psych GPA) in 2008, and have strong general GRE scores, I am just trying to gauge how much prep is really necessary for the subject test? Thanks all!

I was terrible and didn't study at all, aside from taking maybe two practice tests. I did just fine, too.

As for sending out subject scores, I only sent them to the schools that required them simply because it was so darn expensive to send them.

As for sending out subject scores, I only sent them to the schools that required them simply because it was so darn expensive to send them.

This is something I've been wondering about. Most schools (that I'm focusing on anyway) don't require it. BUT, most say it's "recommended."

e.g.
"The GRE Subject Test is not required but it is recommended. We will review scores if provided, but you will not be penalized if you do not take the exam."

So what does that mean? Is it worth it then to send them?

I studied for maybe 2 hours. I was disappointed with getting 64th percentile, but it seems my score wasn't so low at all.

Also, I didn't take intro to psych in college (which is where a lot of the material seems to be from) because I took the AP in high school. I suppose I remembered a bit, but I think I was still at a slight disadvantage.

I'm sending mine to places that say it's recommended because I want them to think I'm thorough :)

I have 3 different books I am studying from. Most helpful for me has been the Kaplan book. However, I was not a psy major and have never had some of the courses that the psy GRE covers. Thus, I am stuying a lot and finding it much more interesting than the regular gre studying!

I think if you were a psy major, just set aside time to read through one of the prep books and you will recognize what areas you need to focus on. I have heard it does not count as heavily as regular gres too.