Psych in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

West14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How easy is it to do psych and child psych residency in USA then work in canada. I'm curious about mont and tor areas. What is the salary range? Any drawbacks anyone can think of? btw. I'm a us citizen..

Members don't see this ad.

West14 said:
How easy is it to do psych and child psych residency in USA then work in canada. I'm curious about mont and tor areas. What is the salary range? Any drawbacks anyone can think of? btw. I'm a us citizen..

I am looking for that info too. I have the option of pursuing a family medicine or psychiatry in the US this year. However, I am confused as I eventually want to come back to Canada, and am wondering what would be a better choice, in terms of ease of finding a job, salary, etc. Anyone?

Once you get through a residency, you'd probably have no more trouble landing a Canadian job than a Canadian grad.

Obviously, psych would pay better than FP.

Obviously, Montreal is way cheaper than Toronto (and, for most people's tastes, nicer).

FPs are needed in many places all over Canada-- mostly rural spots, of course. Some provincial governments will fork over big incentives to convince immigrant docs to practice an agreed-upon number of years in an underserved location. After that, you'd be free to move on, of course.

But yeah-- overall if you do a residency in the States you shouldn't have any particular problems finding a job or getting licensed in Canada. Your citizenship doesn't matter, really.

Sorry I don't know whether psychiatrists are in particular demand right now.