psych intern year- count for prelim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

triathlondoc12

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guys I have a question: I am currently on a radiology rotation and have just matched into another specialty (Psych). I am happy with my match but just can't help but wonder if I should have discovered this amazing specialty sooner. (no fault but my own of course and school scheduling of electives). My question is this: how would I go about re-applying into a radiology position next year or in the future in case I decide I am not in love with my chosen specialty? I don't believe my intern year will count as I only have 4 IM months and 2 Neuro and 6 months psych, so I would assume I'd have to re-do intern year and match to an advanced spot also? I know this is difficult seeing as my intern year is not covering what would normally be easier to slide into a PGY-2 spot or so... any guidance from anyone on how best to approach this scenario? thanks so much and congrats to those who matched!
 
I think it can count, PDs have wiggle room and maybe they could front vacation time too. If you want it and independently prepare on your own u could start rads correct. Do an away rotation or get close with ur rads dept

Especially rads, its not like a surg prelim yr and u dont have clinic hrs to log pgy2 on
 
If you are considering switching specialties starting PGY 2 please let me know because I am considering switching specialty myself from IM-Psy to categorical Psych. If you leave it might create an open spot which might help my situation.