Psych LOR for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wAyRadikull

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for you OG's on here. I would appreciate if you could provide some insight on my situation.

I am ready to apply the 1st of September with everything except one LOR. I already have uploaded letters from my IM PD (did core and sub-i at same place) and the director of pulmonary medicine, both of which should be strong letters as I worked pretty closely with them. I recently finished a GI rotation, but that letter will not be ready for another month or so.

So my question is, would it hurt to upload a 3rd letter from my psych attending who knows me really well. He knows my interest in IM and is willing to write a general letter and comment on my clinical skills as well as personality. This should also be a strong letter from what he has told me. I'm just not entirely sure how a psych letter would be viewed by an IM PD, I can see it swing either way.

I would really like to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Quick question for you OG's on here. I would appreciate if you could provide some insight on my situation.

I am ready to apply the 1st of September with everything except one LOR. I already have uploaded letters from my IM PD (did core and sub-i at same place) and the director of pulmonary medicine, both of which should be strong letters as I worked pretty closely with them. I recently finished a GI rotation, but that letter will not be ready for another month or so.

So my question is, would it hurt to upload a 3rd letter from my psych attending who knows me really well. He knows my interest in IM and is willing to write a general letter and comment on my clinical skills as well as personality. This should also be a strong letter from what he has told me. I'm just not entirely sure how a psych letter would be viewed by an IM PD, I can see it swing either way.

I would really like to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks.

According to my dean, that's fine. I was going to do the same thing because psych was my last 3rd year rotation. I ended it up not doing it though. My dean also said peds attending was another option. Internal med is not as strict.

According to my dean, that's fine. I was going to do the same thing because psych was my last 3rd year rotation. I ended it up not doing it though. My dean also said peds attending was another option. Internal med is not as strict.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully it will work out just fine. Any other opinions out there?