Psych PGY-1 thinking I want to switch to IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

peachesncream6

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. I am a psych PGY-1 who has honestly felt doubts about if this field was for me since I started residency. I even talked to the IM PD at my program and applied to the match this year but ended up deciding to give psych more time since I have only done 2 months of it this year so far (my year is backloaded with psych). Now here I am feeling extremely depressed and trapped because I basically am locked into psych for another full year. I feel like I blew my chance to switch to IM by not doing it this year and I just feel hopeless.

Looking for advice, stories of people who have switched specialties after PGY-2. Also wondering if there’s any possible way I could switch before I finish PGY-2, but I doubt it. I don’t know what compelled me to give psych more time, I regret the decision so much. Not sure what to even do anymore.

The other thing I’ve contemplated is if I should soap into an open IM or prelim spot this year. But my PD thinks I’m staying in psych so he would be extremely pissed and it would screw him over if I did that.
 
Last edited:
First, don't worry about your PD. They will survive, no matter what you do.

The NRMP deadline is tomorrow. If your local IM PD is willing to consider you, it's not too late to get an ROL in and ask to be ranked. They may say no, but it costs nothing to ask.

If you want to participate in SOAP, you'll need to ensure you're in the match and get an ERAS app together if you haven't done so already.
 
First, don't worry about your PD. They will survive, no matter what you do. The NRMP deadline is tomorrow. If your local IM PD is willing to consider you, it's not too late to get an ROL in and ask to be ranked. They may say no, but it costs nothing to ask. If you want to participate in SOAP, you'll need to ensure you're in the match and get an ERAS app together if you haven't done so already.

Thank you for your reply. I already told the IM PD at my program that I regret not taking the spot this year, and she didn’t offer anything to me. So I think the answer is no as far as that. I have my ERAS app together but I had withdrawn from programs because my PD wanted proof that I withdrew/was staying in the psych program. So it’s too late for me to do anything other than soap. And I’m just not sure if I should soap into a random program, or wait and apply again next year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your reply. I already told the IM PD at my program that I regret not taking the spot this year, and she didn’t offer anything to me. So I think the answer is no as far as that. I have my ERAS app together but I had withdrawn from programs because my PD wanted proof that I withdrew/was staying in the psych program. So it’s too late for me to do anything other than soap. And I’m just not sure if I should soap into a random program, or wait and apply again next year.
Honestly, just apply again next year. Its the cost of being sure. Sometimes we gamble and win and sometimes we gamble and lose. it sounds like you signed the contract for next year (or said you would), made a commitment to your PD/program and withdrew from the program you wanted. You'll burn some bridges with no guarantee you'll get into a good program in the SOAP.

Just do another year, and reapply broadly. It'll be alright. In retrospect 1 year is rarely that big of a deal in the length of your entire career.
 
Agree. This will also ensure you'd be happier in IM. Perhaps when you get your psych experience later in the year, you'll realize that's what you really want. Better to spend an extra year now, and have the best career you can.
 
Honestly, just apply again next year. Its the cost of being sure. Sometimes we gamble and win and sometimes we gamble and lose. it sounds like you signed the contract for next year (or said you would), made a commitment to your PD/program and withdrew from the program you wanted. You'll burn some bridges with no guarantee you'll get into a good program in the SOAP.

Just do another year, and reapply broadly. It'll be alright. In retrospect 1 year is rarely that big of a deal in the length of your entire career.
Thank you so much. This reply made me feel better. I will reapply broadly next year. I appreciate this perspective so much. 🙂
 
Agree. This will also ensure you'd be happier in IM. Perhaps when you get your psych experience later in the year, you'll realize that's what you really want. Better to spend an extra year now, and have the best career you can.
Thank you. You’re right, I appreciate you!! I will reapply next year (assuming I still feel this way). Thank you for your insight!