Psych Pharmacy Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dextrose5%

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what are the most well known Psych Pharmacy Residency/ Hospitals. The most prestigious and competitive ones? I have researched a few, but I just want to know what everyone says.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't really heard of any tbh. From what I see in the hospital, I am not sure what the role of an RPh would be. Psychiatrists literally do NOTHING but meds. They are basically pharmacists. Has anyone done a psych rotation and could explain more about this?

The VA is opening up tons of psych PGY2s, and each VA medical center or health system usually has at least 1 psych pharmacist, maybe more. We have an inpatient psych pharmacist as well as one doing geri-psych in our LTC facility, as well as a few outpatient ones. The inpatient psych pharmacist does a lot of clozapine monitoring, as well as just regular pharmacist stuff such as monitoring, orders, med rec and discharge counseling on the psych wards. This is especially important because of the drug/drug and drug-disease interactions of many psych meds (for example atypical antipsychotics causing metabolic syndrome). Not sure what the outpatient psych pharmacists do. I know they review psych non-formulary requests and have a clinic, but I am not sure whom they see in the clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
The VA is opening up tons of psych PGY2s, and each VA medical center or health system usually has at least 1 psych pharmacist, maybe more. We have an inpatient psych pharmacist as well as one doing geri-psych in our LTC facility, as well as a few outpatient ones. The inpatient psych pharmacist does a lot of clozapine monitoring, as well as just regular pharmacist stuff such as monitoring, orders, med rec and discharge counseling on the psych wards. This is especially important because of the drug/drug and drug-disease interactions of many psych meds (for example atypical antipsychotics causing metabolic syndrome). Not sure what the outpatient psych pharmacists do. I know they review psych non-formulary requests and have a clinic, but I am not sure whom they see in the clinic.

From my understanding they see patients and monitor them. They give the mental health tests and tweak their meds as needed. Pretty much a primary care provider for psych post-diagnosis. That was my understanding of things.

I just finished an inpatient psych rotation at a VA. It was honestly fantastic, the pharmacists play a critical role there.

The hospital I work at has a psych PGY-2 program. In talking with the current residents, it seems like the residents do a lot with the inpatient psych team (rounding, admission med rec, monitoring, d/c med rec, adverse effect monitoring, and counseling). They also do things with the outpatient psych clinics here.

Last edited:
Psych pharmacist are like any other clinical pharmacist but they specialize in psych meds. From the looks of it, it sounds like a VA is the best place to for a PGY2/ Psych Pharmacist Job.

Thank you everyone