psych prereq

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basilisk312

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,
i'm an undergrad student and have a prospective opt question.
could a class in the department of "education and counseling psycology" cover the psycology requirement. the class in question is peer mentoring and counseling and the second class is principles in career and life planning.
i'm also involved in the creation of a new opt club on campus....the first one. and was wondering if any of you could give me tips on what to do for the club...somthing beneficial. we are officially starting next semester but have an informational meeting.

Members don't see this ad.

you'd have to call a school to see if it covers the psych requirement.. it might for one school but not others. You never know til ya call 'em unfortunately.

Here's the website to our P.O.P.S. chapter, maybe you'll get some ideas from there, you can always pm me if you have any questions.

www.opt.uh.edu/pops

Members don't see this ad :)
r_salis said:
That's a really nice-looking website, simisn!

Thanks!
We're lucky to have a creative webmaster, she designed our tshirts too (which is always getting compliments :))
We have an awesome POPS chapter :D

the website is really impressive. i don't think our opt. club website will be that great once we form it. what kind of activities do you guys do;??? i wasn't too clear on it.

I'm sure that when POPS first started at our school the website wasn't that great then either (it started in the 80s, so they probably didn't even have one then). As a chapter we do a lot of stuff. We have biweekly meetings and we have a speaker at each meeting. Our speakers this year have been Dr. Julie Jackson (director of student affairs at UHCO), Dean Smith (of UHCO), financial aid people, opt students, optometerists, etc. We do a lot of community service stuff such as vision screenings with Prevent Blindness (almost every weekend), host movie nights for kids at Star of Hope, play bingo at nursing homes, have clothing drives etc. Every spring we host a P.O.P.S. banquet/conference for all of the POPS chapters from the state of texas followed by a deck party at UHCO, we always do this the day before UHCO hosts optometry day since everyone will be in town for it anyway. This year for the first time A&M decided to have a conference in the fall so we went for that, and in feb the Texas Optometric Association invites us to thier conference and we went for that.
This weekend we're having our end of the year banquet where the officers for next year will be announced.
I'm president for next year :D
Let me know if you have any more questions.