Psych residency: Yale vs. UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychthrowaway123

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve been a long time creeper... but made an account to post and get some insight w my rank list and interview process. I really liked Yale ans UW so far. I have Stanford coming up which will also be a big contender for me as I see it like a Yale of the west coast— I will update my thoughts then but for now hoping to get some input on UW vs Yale. For reference I am Asian American and single.

Yale

+humanities slant- i was a humanities minor in college and have always had an interest in more humanities >> bio sciences

+flexibility in the amount of time and autonomy you get in creating your own project

+Yale-China relationship, yale relationship w global health (see cons down below)

+better COL to salary ratio (i have a butt load of loans)

+small enough town i think i could walk around, bike, make friends easily but also still within distance from more "happening" places like NYC if i need more excitement

+my inner asian prestige ***** is like woaaaw, drinking up that brand name

+moonlighting starting PGY2 (yay pay down my loans!!)

+really liked the residents on social hour, albeit virtual zoom social hour... hard to tell... they seemed passionate and opinionated-i am super opinionated too and would thrive w that kind of UP energy.

+social justice slant-- but i do see how maybe it can get really special snowflake culture-y... this is not necessarily a bad thing to me haha i kind of like that.

-far from family... but my sister might be going to med school in NYC making me close to family, just far from parents. i have a better relationship w my sister anyways > parents

-unnngh snow... and humidity... i actually mind the snow less, dislike humidity more.

-is there sporty things?? biking, hiking, beach things? i've been told yes but just hard to visualize since i've never lived in northeast USA.

-less Asian American, AAPI community-- and this is a negative for both personal reasons (dating) as well as professional (i want to learn how to serve AAPI clinical population, minority mental health!--though could seek this kind of work via the global health stuff?)

-i have heard really mixed reviews about new haven being like eh?? (i have never been there)

-can't really find any info about yale offering on call meals, gym, bonus lil perks like that.... though i guess the COLA:salary ratio kinda addresses that anyways

-the fact that there is no resident clinic and you only get 1 placement in 3rd year whether you like it or not for your outpatient clinic.

-liked the PD but didn't get a good grasp of the rest of the faculty b/c they asked me a lot of questions, i didn't have as much time to get to know them

Verdict: could see myself happy here, appeals to my artsy fartsy side.seems much smaller though than UW...this isn’t bad necessarily... seems like this will give me depth> breadth

UW

+closer to family

+i grew up on the west coast... the evil you know vs. the evil you don't...

+better weather, i think i can handle overcast, because even if its overcast i can go outside and do sporty things

+sporty landscape for sporty me, landscape seems pretty similar to Northern California so i can visualize what i'd do for fun/relax

+seattle seems funner, more diverse than new haven (though again, new haven is close to nyc so could maybe still scratch that itch..)

+liked the faculty a lot, felt connected with them, i got a lot of time to ask them questions and learn about them more than in the yale interview.

+resident clinic, more diverse outpatient experience in pgy3

+huge UW and affiliated training sites, seems like id get a better clinical training by volume and site diversity here (but at the cost of potential burnout?)

+more oppty to serve AAPI, and date AAPI lol. since more AAPI presence here.

-GROSS off service schedule, sounds way more workhorse than yale call schedule, both off and on service -- significant concern for burnout

-no moonlighting until pgy3 or 4? and seems like people dont even take advantage of it anyways? prolly cuz ^^ busy w above

-seattle COLA: salary ratio sucks more

-seems like their advertised "pathways" is like high school clubs, come to attend the lunch talks if you can or whatever. i have a lot of diverse interests but due to the work schedule it seems like i wouldnt really truly have the time to pursue my interests

-biological/medicine slant > humanities, which to me is a negative based on my interests/personality

-i'm nervous about seattle freeze, i'm slow to make friends to begin with and would ideally like to have a diverse friend group that ISNT only people from medical backgrounds.

-did not have as positive perception towards residents. admittedly we had a kind of weird resident in our social hour, was a nontrad person so was hard to relate. other residents were okay, i think i'd get along fine with them, but didn't feel as "ooh!" as the yale residents.

-the weird resident vs. insitution problem.

Verdict: could see myself becoming an excellent clinician here but am concerned about burnout both from
Hours and from the more rigid structure and psychologically the loan situation?. Happy w the outdoorsy **** that appeals to my athletic side. This seems more like breadth> depth.

And I don’t know what matters ultimately for preparing to be a good attending re: breadth vs depth ?

thank you for any help and insight you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yale all the way. I've heard nothing but good things about Yale, they are widely considered the best Psych residency program in the nation. FYI I attended UW for med school, during that time I saw the Psych residents being worked hard, many appeared quite stressed or drained. Rotating a so many sites is a challenge, commutes eat up a large part of your day, and COL is absurd. Seattle is a fun place, it didn't seem like residents had much time to enjoy it.

Why don't you just train at Yale for residency and go back to the west coast after training? It sounds like you want to go to Yale, but you're hesitant. Life is an adventure, just go for a few years, and if it's not amazing, you can always go back home. I think you will regret not going to Yale.

I lived in New Haven, and I personally didn't like it as an undergraduate. The nightlife did not have a lot of what I am now looking for. The winters are cold, but still humid. When the snow melts in the city, it's dirty and the city looks ugly. I don't do well with winters, so combined with the dreariness of the dirty, melted snow in the downtown area, I'm done with it. That's just me though.

If you're really into the humanities, Yale is a great place to be. At least on the undergraduate level, Yale prides itself as being an institution where the humanities are emphasized. I imagine this would bleed over into their residency training.

Also, it seems like paying off your loans quickly is important to you. Yale will provide strong training AND allow you to start moonlighting PGY-2...unlike UW which is known for being a workhorse program. I wonder if you will still have the energy to moonlight after its notoriously difficult schedule?

Just my two cents, but you're definitely in a great position! Let us know how it all turns out!

Also happy to answer more questions about living in New Haven. There are a couple of beaches close by, but you'll have to drive to get to them. You could take the bus to get to them, but it'll take about an hour to get there. You have to do a couple of transfers. It's not very time efficient. Feel free to PM me for more details!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I’ve been a long time creeper... but made an account to post and get some insight w my rank list and interview process. I really liked Yale ans UW so far. I have Stanford coming up which will also be a big contender for me as I see it like a Yale of the west coast— I will update my thoughts then but for now hoping to get some input on UW vs Yale. For reference I am Asian American and single.

Yale

+humanities slant- i was a humanities minor in college and have always had an interest in more humanities >> bio sciences

+flexibility in the amount of time and autonomy you get in creating your own project

+Yale-China relationship, yale relationship w global health (see cons down below)

+better COL to salary ratio (i have a butt load of loans)

+small enough town i think i could walk around, bike, make friends easily but also still within distance from more "happening" places like NYC if i need more excitement

+my inner asian prestige ***** is like woaaaw, drinking up that brand name

+moonlighting starting PGY2 (yay pay down my loans!!)

+really liked the residents on social hour, albeit virtual zoom social hour... hard to tell... they seemed passionate and opinionated-i am super opinionated too and would thrive w that kind of UP energy.

+social justice slant-- but i do see how maybe it can get really special snowflake culture-y... this is not necessarily a bad thing to me haha i kind of like that.

-far from family... but my sister might be going to med school in NYC making me close to family, just far from parents. i have a better relationship w my sister anyways > parents

-unnngh snow... and humidity... i actually mind the snow less, dislike humidity more.

-is there sporty things?? biking, hiking, beach things? i've been told yes but just hard to visualize since i've never lived in northeast USA.

-less Asian American, AAPI community-- and this is a negative for both personal reasons (dating) as well as professional (i want to learn how to serve AAPI clinical population, minority mental health!--though could seek this kind of work via the global health stuff?)

-i have heard really mixed reviews about new haven being like eh?? (i have never been there)

-can't really find any info about yale offering on call meals, gym, bonus lil perks like that.... though i guess the COLA:salary ratio kinda addresses that anyways

-the fact that there is no resident clinic and you only get 1 placement in 3rd year whether you like it or not for your outpatient clinic.

-liked the PD but didn't get a good grasp of the rest of the faculty b/c they asked me a lot of questions, i didn't have as much time to get to know them

Verdict: could see myself happy here, appeals to my artsy fartsy side.seems much smaller though than UW...this isn’t bad necessarily... seems like this will give me depth> breadth

UW

+closer to family

+i grew up on the west coast... the evil you know vs. the evil you don't...

+better weather, i think i can handle overcast, because even if its overcast i can go outside and do sporty things

+sporty landscape for sporty me, landscape seems pretty similar to Northern California so i can visualize what i'd do for fun/relax

+seattle seems funner, more diverse than new haven (though again, new haven is close to nyc so could maybe still scratch that itch..)

+liked the faculty a lot, felt connected with them, i got a lot of time to ask them questions and learn about them more than in the yale interview.

+resident clinic, more diverse outpatient experience in pgy3

+huge UW and affiliated training sites, seems like id get a better clinical training by volume and site diversity here (but at the cost of potential burnout?)

+more oppty to serve AAPI, and date AAPI lol. since more AAPI presence here.

-GROSS off service schedule, sounds way more workhorse than yale call schedule, both off and on service -- significant concern for burnout

-no moonlighting until pgy3 or 4? and seems like people dont even take advantage of it anyways? prolly cuz ^^ busy w above

-seattle COLA: salary ratio sucks more

-seems like their advertised "pathways" is like high school clubs, come to attend the lunch talks if you can or whatever. i have a lot of diverse interests but due to the work schedule it seems like i wouldnt really truly have the time to pursue my interests

-biological/medicine slant > humanities, which to me is a negative based on my interests/personality

-i'm nervous about seattle freeze, i'm slow to make friends to begin with and would ideally like to have a diverse friend group that ISNT only people from medical backgrounds.

-did not have as positive perception towards residents. admittedly we had a kind of weird resident in our social hour, was a nontrad person so was hard to relate. other residents were okay, i think i'd get along fine with them, but didn't feel as "ooh!" as the yale residents.

-the weird resident vs. insitution problem.

Verdict: could see myself becoming an excellent clinician here but am concerned about burnout both from
Hours and from the more rigid structure and psychologically the loan situation?. Happy w the outdoorsy **** that appeals to my athletic side. This seems more like breadth> depth.

And I don’t know what matters ultimately for preparing to be a good attending re: breadth vs depth ?

thank you for any help and insight you can offer!
I'm a urology resident, so take this for w/e it's worth, but my wife is from the PNW and is finishing up psychiatry residency on the east coast. She weighed many of the same pros/cons as you.

If you have a shot at top programs like Yale/MGH/Columbia, she recommends taking the shot. It's only 4 years/3 if you fast track, and the dividends will pay off over your career. She has no regrets about heading east as she finishes up, and when I'm finished, we'll probably go back to Oregon, where she's originally from.

They're both excellent programs, and you'll get solid training at either one. Yale cultivates leaders in psychiatry (everything from administration, clinical work, and research), and UW offers world-class CL and integrated care teams that are moving the needle in mental health/psychiatry.

I'd choose Yale. New Haven isn't the most exciting place to be, but most people don't go to Yale because it's in New Haven.

I did my residency on the east coast though not at Yale (moved from CA), I then did my fellowship back in CA, never regretted that decision, had an excellent training, 3 years went by fast, though in my opinion practicing on the west coast is more defensive than the east coast in general.

So Yale without hesitation then move back for practice/fellowship which is alot easier than you think.

Thank you everyone for your responses, and especially

ArdorAyurveda and​

rikudo for the "insider" scoop about how new haven and uw/seattle is like. i do agree that my heart is in yale right now, but i want to keep an open mind as possible and not be too invested in it....lest i don't match into my "dream"... (!) in any case, I have a few more cali interviews upcoming and will update this post to reflect my thoughts there next week and hope to get further insight about the yale vs. west coast programs as i continue making my ROL!

I did my residency on the east coast though not at Yale (moved from CA), I then did my fellowship back in CA, never regretted that decision, had an excellent training, 3 years went by fast, though in my opinion practicing on the west coast is more defensive than the east coast in general.

So Yale without hesitation then move back for practice/fellowship which is alot easier than you think.
this is great to know, because i do wonder about the 'Train where you want to practice' old adage... but i also think i'll be apt to train where i'll love it for 4 years and then can go back for 40 years kind of thing

Can you expand on this?
Just the style in general, for example drug induced mood/psychotic disorders were handled as such initially while on the west coast they were reluctant to call them such, and prefer to go with a billable axis 1 ( in the old days). We often would call a no diagnosis on axis 1 for some obscure consults with no active psychiatric sx while doing so in CA raised eye brows, just a couple of examples

One pro for Yale is that they are really connected to the community they are in. You get to work with a VA population as well as an underserved medicaid/medicare population in New Haven. You also have the option of working with Yale students. I'm bringing this up because I've heard some of the other 'prestige' programs tend to cater to the rich. This is not the case at Yale.

Just the style in general, for example drug induced mood/psychotic disorders were handled as such initially while on the west coast they were reluctant to call them such, and prefer to go with a billable axis 1 ( in the old days). We often would call a no diagnosis on axis 1 for some obscure consults with no active psychiatric sx while doing so in CA raised eye brows, just a couple of examples

I've seen far worse example of defensive medicine in the NE to be frank. Endless screening questionnaires to be mindlessly filled out , unnecessary required safety plans in the ER, tens of needless alert messages embedded in the system (such as everytime you prescribe a benzo). I think this is very institution-specific.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
just as an update to everyone, i did also interview at Stanford which i consider to be the west coast equivalent of Yale, and.... is it just me or does Stanford have a more biologic leaning bias? the PD did place a lot of emphasis on wanting to bring interdisciplinary approach to psychiatry and education, but mostly I felt the overall pitch and vibe was focused on cutting edge basic science/translational research as well as interventional psychiatry. it seems they have great training to offer and I especially liked their CHIPAO initiative with using theater acting skits to teach cultural psychiatry for asian american populations. However, i felt also that the resident exposure I got seemed to be very enthusiastic on California (no need to sell me there, i'm from there..), on tech (i'm sick of bay area bubble lol i actually see this as a minus), and i don't know, it just didn't connect with me. the thought of living around south bay/palo alto and commuting every day b/c i am only willing to pay something cheaper far far away... mmmphhhfff. the PD didn't seem to know my application well, or had read it a very long time ago... i just didn't really connect in a personal way. there was a chief resident interview which i liked, but knowing this person will go away by the time i arrive, i was also mphfff about that. i also am significantly concerned that i will be swallowed up by the bay area being so massive and feeling somewhat disjointed. on the other hand, i could feel claustrophobic in New Haven but am comforted by the fact there is NYC nearby for fun and play. I do not care for SF at all so that being close, does not make me excited. maybe i'll eat my words 4 years later and despair over the northeast climate (the one thing i do take for granted constantly is the climate here, i love cool, dry desert climates > hot wet humidity)... but in general i think I will be still ranking Yale #1. I hope they love me back. honestly this is such a personal choice though, at the end of the day, everyone's rank list is going to be different depending on what they want. i take one look at stanford and just feel so close minded already b/c its like... hm is this just going be like going back to being around the same flavor of people i was with in high school and college. I feel like i already know the norcal bro and the socal valley girl (i am her so i know it haha).

in the end though i will still rank stanford high due to its opportunity, resources and flexibility. and being around what's familiar is really not an evil at all. i just want something different b/c i'm in an exploratory phase of life (single, not settled, not looking to settle), but at some point in my life i will start to crave creature comforts and familiarity. i think i could still find a way to be very happy at stanford, but i will always regret it if i didn't TRY my best to optimize for a new, different experience, which is why yale gets my #1 on ROL.

Nothing wrong with Yale, but if your life is on the West coast, there is nothing wrong with UW or Stanford. You need to get real, by the time you are talking about the top 10% vs the top 15%, it is more up to you and your motivation to make the most of opportunities than it is up to the place. Your future patients aren't going to know where you trained. They will only be testing you to see if they can get Xanax or Ritalin out of you and you can be good at treating patients in a moral way from either program. You might benefit from a few years in New Haven, but that isn't the question or maybe it is.... This lens is focused on a distant star, if you are trying to hit an academic spot maybe geography isn't so important, otherwise, it is time to let go and live the life you want or more to the point, where you want. Just my 2 cents and I wish someone said this to me a long time ago. If you need the name, that is your call. There will be many GME trained impressive people from UW and Stanford that you will not be embarrassed to call your friends.

this is great to know, because i do wonder about the 'Train where you want to practice' old adage... but i also think i'll be apt to train where i'll love it for 4 years and then can go back for 40 years kind of thing

This is often true, but when you're coming out of a big name place like Yale or Stanford you're unlikely to have difficulties finding work anywhere you want and pretty much all doors will be open. The big issue would be knowledge of the general area outside of places you've previously worked.

just as an update to everyone, i did also interview at Stanford which i consider to be the west coast equivalent of Yale, and.... is it just me or does Stanford have a more biologic leaning bias? the PD did place a lot of emphasis on wanting to bring interdisciplinary approach to psychiatry and education, but mostly I felt the overall pitch and vibe was focused on cutting edge basic science/translational research as well as interventional psychiatry. it seems they have great training to offer and I especially liked their CHIPAO initiative with using theater acting skits to teach cultural psychiatry for asian american populations. However, i felt also that the resident exposure I got seemed to be very enthusiastic on California (no need to sell me there, i'm from there..), on tech (i'm sick of bay area bubble lol i actually see this as a minus), and i don't know, it just didn't connect with me. the thought of living around south bay/palo alto and commuting every day b/c i am only willing to pay something cheaper far far away... mmmphhhfff. the PD didn't seem to know my application well, or had read it a very long time ago... i just didn't really connect in a personal way. there was a chief resident interview which i liked, but knowing this person will go away by the time i arrive, i was also mphfff about that. i also am significantly concerned that i will be swallowed up by the bay area being so massive and feeling somewhat disjointed. on the other hand, i could feel claustrophobic in New Haven but am comforted by the fact there is NYC nearby for fun and play. I do not care for SF at all so that being close, does not make me excited. maybe i'll eat my words 4 years later and despair over the northeast climate (the one thing i do take for granted constantly is the climate here, i love cool, dry desert climates > hot wet humidity)... but in general i think I will be still ranking Yale #1. I hope they love me back. honestly this is such a personal choice though, at the end of the day, everyone's rank list is going to be different depending on what they want. i take one look at stanford and just feel so close minded already b/c its like... hm is this just going be like going back to being around the same flavor of people i was with in high school and college. I feel like i already know the norcal bro and the socal valley girl (i am her so i know it haha).

in the end though i will still rank stanford high due to its opportunity, resources and flexibility. and being around what's familiar is really not an evil at all. i just want something different b/c i'm in an exploratory phase of life (single, not settled, not looking to settle), but at some point in my life i will start to crave creature comforts and familiarity. i think i could still find a way to be very happy at stanford, but i will always regret it if i didn't TRY my best to optimize for a new, different experience, which is why yale gets my #1 on ROL.
Seems like your gut is telling you Yale and you want to try living somewhere else for a while- would encourage you to do so as it is a valuable experience. As far as Stanford being more biologic, it has been in the past, but their aPD has been really trying to make up for it and seems like it is flexible enough to spend significant time on psychotherapy. One of their residents gets 1-on-1 supervision from Irvin Yalom, and one of their resident classes invited him to teach at their week-long retreat.

:bang: "We are biologic' = "We don't care about psychotherapy" Who isn't biologic? Give me a break. :barf:

Nothing wrong with Yale, but if your life is on the West coast, there is nothing wrong with UW or Stanford. You need to get real, by the time you are talking about the top 10% vs the top 15%, it is more up to you and your motivation to make the most of opportunities than it is up to the place. Your future patients aren't going to know where you trained. They will only be testing you to see if they can get Xanax or Ritalin out of you and you can be good at treating patients in a moral way from either program.

My experience has taught me that this is demonstrably false in cash PP. Especially for people whose medical schools are not as brand name, residency name can be very important for cash-paying patients. To this very narrow extent, Yale = Stanford > UW, except in the Seattle area, where UW is probably equivalent to the other two. This effect is somewhat rescued if you went to name brand for undergrad/med school.

W.r.t. tech startups, a lot of them like to name drop. UW has a good reputation overall, but in that very narrow corridor, Stanford > Yale > UW.

For most clinical jobs that deal with bread and butter/insurance, Yale = Stanford = UW. For research jobs, depends on the name of your mentor/arrangement more than the institution of training. I wouldn't go to Stanford if you want to do psychotherapy research. You'll more than likely drop out of research altogether if you went there.

• Hmm
Nothing wrong with Yale, but if your life is on the West coast, there is nothing wrong with UW or Stanford. You need to get real, by the time you are talking about the top 10% vs the top 15%, it is more up to you and your motivation to make the most of opportunities than it is up to the place. Your future patients aren't going to know where you trained. They will only be testing you to see if they can get Xanax or Ritalin out of you and you can be good at treating patients in a moral way from either program. You might benefit from a few years in New Haven, but that isn't the question or maybe it is.... This lens is focused on a distant star, if you are trying to hit an academic spot maybe geography isn't so important, otherwise, it is time to let go and live the life you want or more to the point, where you want. Just my 2 cents and I wish someone said this to me a long time ago. If you need the name, that is your call. There will be many GME trained impressive people from UW and Stanford that you will not be embarrassed to call your friends.

‘nothing wrong with Yale’ 😂

I would pick Yale. I like outdoors stuff a lot and thus am now an attending in Utah but 1) the five years at Yale were the best of my life and 2) everyone who says it doesn’t make a difference getting a job is wrong. It has helped a lot.

could you share why you think that's the case? thanks in advance.

Without proper mentorship and the right institutional environment, trying to do research is like navigating a maze without a map. People usually give up. Even with good mentorship, about 60% of K awardees have no further record of NIH funding. The current state is that NIH does not want to fund psychotherapy treatment research, except in some very specific narrow circumstances which you won't be privy of unless you have the right advisory.

my life isn't "on the west coast", so this isn't as much of a concern to me. single, not looking to settle, ready to go where it pleases me, and i have friends both on east and west coast. maybe i'll eat my words but so far the content of training> location for now.

Another update: Does anyone have any insight on UCSD Community Psychiatry Track? @splik wrote a funny review a while back re: this thread Top Social Psychiatry Programs. @SmallBird @rikudo @ArdorAyurveda ?

I am interested in this program for the more "apprenticeship" type model of training, especially for LEADERSHIP. it seems to be a very much smaller program, very focused on developing and investing in individual trainees. they are pitching and selling about "leadership" and "health systems" type lens, with increased autonomy, flexibility and both formalized (didactic) as well as informal experiential learning of health systems, policy making, economic decisions, legislature, social media advocacy... however i am not sure how this actually plays out as their elective time is less flexible, rather than more flexible, though that is because the residents are spending their time at community sites, FQHCs and admin elective re: public health policy/administration type roles.

pros:
+closer mentorship, especially in nontraditional physician spaces ie. physician leadership, medical administration type roles
+san diego is nice and COLA is not bad if you live inland a little bit +i am familiar w the area + have friends/family nearby
+opportunity to be less tied to clinical care, and more to big picture level thinking (my style!), and seems as if clinical care is meant to inform the 30,000 ft view
+super focused training (but...see cons)
+says that they train trainnees to go on for leadership roles/medical director type positions
+seems to be more of a partnership with leadership PD/APD rather than the traditional style of residency which as one yale resident put it, is a "benevolent dictatorship" lolololol. more horizontal structure, less vertical/hierarchical

cons
-less oppty for psychotherapy- cuz all ur time is spent w community sites
-despite community focus, no real state hospital/incarceration exposure (OHSU impressed me much more on this aspect)
-super focused training: less oppty for literally anything else... neuromods/TMS/ECT, med ed?, random electives i might be interested in? what if i want to do something totally different and realize that administation is a total headache and not as glam as it seems.... i like big picture thinking but i also am intensely pragmatic, not the type of person to go back to school just for the sake of "learning" an MPH, MBA, unless of course it was fully reimbursed and a night class i could do on the side.
- ?less oppty for moonlight? ? financial constraints of SD? vague concern about loan situation?
- would probably not really get the chance to do my artsy fartsy **** i like as part of the residency, would be more relegated to hobby arena. not necessarily a bad thing.. hobbies are fun when they're hobbies, not work.

not a pro, not a con: not even sure how to interpret this info
#pgy1 and 2 years sounds basically like the FM/psych combined program since off service is FM outpatient clinics rather than traditional IP med. honestly i might like this since outpatient is a little less chaotic of a setting than IP, but it also might make me crazy cuz you are "on" more than IP which involves a lot of sitting around (at least in the med student level LOL). in general medicine makes me crazy lol.

verdict: i value autonomy and apprenticeship--i like to see "what goes on behind the scenes", and i value flexibility, although this program seems to be flexible only in a certain context (sure you can go have more health systems/policy experience!! but... if u want more psychotherapy, gotta use an elective for that). i am wondering if yale will provide a similar experience in regards to leadership cultivation with more flexibility--though it seems like at yale, you can choose to be a leader in whatever the hell you want (including some weird esoteric interest nobody knows about, well that's great for the person spearheading it, but also kind of makes me laugh from the pragmatic side-big "who cares")-- whereas here its a leader in health systems . i am not sure if yale provides this more structured type education in public psychiatry wo explictly doing the fellowship but am pretty sure if i asked, there could be things made since curriculum is so flexy there. I am more familiar w SD over new haven, i get the vibe that this type of experience feeling more like i'm joining the workforce rather than sort of being infantilized in a benevolent dictatorship which i associate w highly academic ivory tower tropes--though i could be entirely wrong. i am also concerned that i have primacy bias with yale, and also just internal bias b/c i feel like i feel in love with my fantasy of yale, without even knowing the real gist of it. Though to argue, with creating the ROL how much of the "gist" does anyone know? until we actually get there, we are making rank lists based off very loose realism/fantasy and random subjective feelings.

Another update: Does anyone have any insight on UCSD Community Psychiatry Track? @splik wrote a funny review a while back re: this thread Top Social Psychiatry Programs. @SmallBird @rikudo @ArdorAyurveda ?

I am interested in this program for the more "apprenticeship" type model of training, especially for LEADERSHIP. it seems to be a very much smaller program, very focused on developing and investing in individual trainees. they are pitching and selling about "leadership" and "health systems" type lens, with increased autonomy, flexibility and both formalized (didactic) as well as informal experiential learning of health systems, policy making, economic decisions, legislature, social media advocacy... however i am not sure how this actually plays out as their elective time is less flexible, rather than more flexible, though that is because the residents are spending their time at community sites, FQHCs and admin elective re: public health policy/administration type roles.

pros:
+closer mentorship, especially in nontraditional physician spaces ie. physician leadership, medical administration type roles
+san diego is nice and COLA is not bad if you live inland a little bit +i am familiar w the area + have friends/family nearby
+opportunity to be less tied to clinical care, and more to big picture level thinking (my style!), and seems as if clinical care is meant to inform the 30,000 ft view
+super focused training (but...see cons)
+says that they train trainnees to go on for leadership roles/medical director type positions
+seems to be more of a partnership with leadership PD/APD rather than the traditional style of residency which as one yale resident put it, is a "benevolent dictatorship" lolololol. more horizontal structure, less vertical/hierarchical

cons
-less oppty for psychotherapy- cuz all ur time is spent w community sites
-despite community focus, no real state hospital/incarceration exposure (OHSU impressed me much more on this aspect)
-super focused training: less oppty for literally anything else... neuromods/TMS/ECT, med ed?, random electives i might be interested in? what if i want to do something totally different and realize that administation is a total headache and not as glam as it seems.... i like big picture thinking but i also am intensely pragmatic, not the type of person to go back to school just for the sake of "learning" an MPH, MBA, unless of course it was fully reimbursed and a night class i could do on the side.
- ?less oppty for moonlight? ? financial constraints of SD? vague concern about loan situation?
- would probably not really get the chance to do my artsy fartsy **** i like as part of the residency, would be more relegated to hobby arena. not necessarily a bad thing.. hobbies are fun when they're hobbies, not work.

not a pro, not a con: not even sure how to interpret this info
#pgy1 and 2 years sounds basically like the FM/psych combined program since off service is FM outpatient clinics rather than traditional IP med. honestly i might like this since outpatient is a little less chaotic of a setting than IP, but it also might make me crazy cuz you are "on" more than IP which involves a lot of sitting around (at least in the med student level LOL). in general medicine makes me crazy lol.

verdict: i value autonomy and apprenticeship--i like to see "what goes on behind the scenes", and i value flexibility, although this program seems to be flexible only in a certain context (sure you can go have more health systems/policy experience!! but... if u want more psychotherapy, gotta use an elective for that). i am wondering if yale will provide a similar experience in regards to leadership cultivation with more flexibility--though it seems like at yale, you can choose to be a leader in whatever the hell you want (including some weird esoteric interest nobody knows about, well that's great for the person spearheading it, but also kind of makes me laugh from the pragmatic side-big "who cares")-- whereas here its a leader in health systems . i am not sure if yale provides this more structured type education in public psychiatry wo explictly doing the fellowship but am pretty sure if i asked, there could be things made since curriculum is so flexy there. I am more familiar w SD over new haven, i get the vibe that this type of experience feeling more like i'm joining the workforce rather than sort of being infantilized in a benevolent dictatorship which i associate w highly academic ivory tower tropes--though i could be entirely wrong. i am also concerned that i have primacy bias with yale, and also just internal bias b/c i feel like i feel in love with my fantasy of yale, without even knowing the real gist of it. Though to argue, with creating the ROL how much of the "gist" does anyone know? until we actually get there, we are making rank lists based off very loose realism/fantasy and random subjective feelings.
IDK man, that seems super complicated and hard to really assess. Maybe it really is a unique and awesome learning experience.

I don't post here often anymore and as I get further away from training I am less sure how helpful I can be. But it seems I have one more post in me
:) I just don't think that any place is as good as Yale for psych residency. The experiences I had are just not ones that my colleagues had in their residencies. I remember how as a PGY-1 I'd walk straight from the medicine floor to some gorgeous building on the Yale campus to attend the Psychiatry and Philosophy groups, where we'd get free food and talk about epistemology and the basic nature of a psychiatric diagnosis. I remember when my program director invited my mother to visit the faculty from South Africa to do a presentation because he was just the nicest person on earth. I remember writing a book chapter with Jim Leckman on the evolutionary basis of OCD after promising him that I would never apply for a grant and had zero chance of being a major researcher. In my second year I was interested in neuroscience so Phil Corlett taught me predictive coding in his office and the next year I was interest in therapy so I had 25 therapy patients and had 4 analysts as my therapy supervisors. I wanted to study social media as in intern so the medical director of YPH gave me $3000 to do so. Yale is an incomparable academic wonderland filled with insanely smart people who research everything from narrative approaches in social psychiatry research to the basic neuroscience of psychosis and they are all willing to work with you if you are willing to show up and ask. Everything I have achieved as an attending is the result of channeling some perspective that I learned at Yale. I continue to feel connected to a rich network of colleagues who remain constantly available for academic and clinical collaboration. I came to Yale naive and with limited experience, and left with 26 publications and a broader perspective. Go with your gut -you won't regret it.

Reactions: 3 users
@psychthrowaway123 Hey there, I did not mean to imply that I have completed residency. I went to Yale for undergrad, so I can speak on living in New Haven. Restaurants I went to, parks I visited, things like that. I'm still a medical student, so can't really comment on pros/cons of different residencies.

IDK man, that seems super complicated and hard to really assess. Maybe it really is a unique and awesome learning experience.

I don't post here often anymore and as I get further away from training I am less sure how helpful I can be. But it seems I have one more post in me
:) I just don't think that any place is as good as Yale for psych residency. The experiences I had are just not ones that my colleagues had in their residencies. I remember how as a PGY-1 I'd walk straight from the medicine floor to some gorgeous building on the Yale campus to attend the Psychiatry and Philosophy groups, where we'd get free food and talk about epistemology and the basic nature of a psychiatric diagnosis. I remember when my program director invited my mother to visit the faculty from South Africa to do a presentation because he was just the nicest person on earth. I remember writing a book chapter with Jim Leckman on the evolutionary basis of OCD after promising him that I would never apply for a grant and had zero chance of being a major researcher. In my second year I was interested in neuroscience so Phil Corlett taught me predictive coding in his office and the next year I was interest in therapy so I had 25 therapy patients and had 4 analysts as my therapy supervisors. I wanted to study social media as in intern so the medical director of YPH gave me $3000 to do so. Yale is an incomparable academic wonderland filled with insanely smart people who research everything from narrative approaches in social psychiatry research to the basic neuroscience of psychosis and they are all willing to work with you if you are willing to show up and ask. Everything I have achieved as an attending is the result of channeling some perspective that I learned at Yale. I continue to feel connected to a rich network of colleagues who remain constantly available for academic and clinical collaboration. I came to Yale naive and with limited experience, and left with 26 publications and a broader perspective. Go with your gut -you won't regret it.
amazing.. say no more, and thank you for one last post <3 yes, i know in my heart of hearts it is for me. i can only hope i am in their hearts as well :) will update when match result comes out!

One of their residents gets 1-on-1 supervision from Irvin Yalom, and one of their resident classes invited him to teach at their week-long retreat.
Can you expand on this? My thinking trends toward existentialism and I'd like to know how this works-- would the route be apply to Stanford-->get into Stanford--> approach Yalom?

Can you expand on this? My thinking trends toward existentialism and I'd like to know how this works-- would the route be apply to Stanford-->get into Stanford--> approach Yalom?
PLEASE don't choose a program based on one "name" faculty member, no matter how revered they are.

Reactions: 3 users
Senior faculty are not your friends.
(Not necessarily your enemies, either)

The likelihood that you will work with a senior faculty member - particularly at an institution with a large psychiatry department - is extremely low. I agree that you shouldn’t choose a program because of the presence of one or two specific people as the reality is that you are unlikely to have any meaningful interactions with them.

We have a big name faculty member who is well-known with respect to depression-related research, and not once did I have any interaction with this person as a resident or since joining the faculty. Unless that faculty member is particularly interested in trainee education, they are very likely to have other things that they’re more interested in doing which will not include you. And in any event, they are simply one person and will only have so much impact - likely relatively little impact - on who you become as a psychiatrist.

One of my colleagues received psychotherapy supervision from Glen Gabbard as a resident, and as far as I can tell that experience has had almost no meaningful impact on either her current clinical interests or day-to-day clinical work. I’m sure that the experience was great, but the idea that a single faculty member is going to somehow fundamentally shape who you are as a psychiatrist is pretty laughable to me.

I wouldn't, I'm much more interested in quality of training and geographical location. That being said, I'm curious about the process and want to know how likely it is that I could interact with distinguished faculty at either Stanford or JHU

I wouldn't, I'm much more interested in quality of training and geographical location. That being said, I'm curious about the process and want to know how likely it is that I could interact with distinguished faculty at either Stanford or JHU
No one can predict this for you. The process is that you match to a place and then at some point you either seek out someone's contact info, get a facilitated introduction (our chair used to do this for trainees all the time), or you have a chance meeting with them. Then you ask for what you want. If you have a demonstrated interest or ability related to their area of expertise, that's how you make yourself more relevant. It's up to chance as to whether that person has time in their schedule, an inclination to work with trainees, or if they even like you in the first place.

I can only speak for one big name place but generally no one is going to hold your hand. There will be lots and lots of resources and available networking opportunities but it's up to you to be proactive and reach out. People from smaller places with more handholding end up feeling that they're not "supported" when they arrive in that sort of environment. Initiative and effort are the prerequisites for making these sorts of relationships fruitful for both parties in the first place.

No one can predict this for you. The process is that you match to a place and then at some point you either seek out someone's contact info, get a facilitated introduction (our chair used to do this for trainees all the time), or you have a chance meeting with them. Then you ask for what you want. If you have a demonstrated interest or ability related to their area of expertise, that's how you make yourself more relevant. It's up to chance as to whether that person has time in their schedule, an inclination to work with trainees, or if they even like you in the first place.

I can only speak for one big name place but generally no one is going to hold your hand. There will be lots and lots of resources and available networking opportunities but it's up to you to be proactive and reach out. People from smaller places with more handholding end up feeling that they're not "supported" when they arrive in that sort of environment. Initiative and effort are the prerequisites for making these sorts of relationships fruitful for both parties in the first place.

@bGMx , you could try to reach out to residents at these programs and directly ask them how frequently they interact with specific faculty. If a doc is interesting in training residents they should be able to tell you that at least. Otherwise agree with the above, you really won't know until you're there.