psych shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chalazion12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone used Kaplan Qbook for the psych shelf and if it was a good representation of the actual examination. Thanks...:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I had plenty of time to study for my Psych shelf--read First Aid for Psych Clerkship x2 and Case Files Psych. My only MCQ sources were the Psych ques from Kaplan's QBank and Qbook. I ended up getting a 97 on the Psych shelf (finishing ~25min early!!!!) and Honored the rotation. Overall, my best shelf score so far :)

I think Kaplan's MCQ's are fairly representative of the NBME Shelf exams, except the vignettes on the real ones can be longer. They do help you work on timing and reading question stems (I always read the last line first!). Make sure to read ALL ques and explanations!

Of course, if you have rotations with in-house exams (e.g., at Pitt it's OB/GYN, Peds, Fam Med, Outpt Med/Peds), then you may want to add more varied question sources.

Good luck :luck:

Hi there,

I had plenty of time to study for my Psych shelf--read First Aid for Psych Clerkship x2 and Case Files Psych. My only MCQ sources were the Psych ques from Kaplan's QBank and Qbook. I ended up getting a 97 on the Psych shelf (finishing ~25min early!!!!) and Honored the rotation. Overall, my best shelf score so far :)

I think Kaplan's MCQ's are fairly representative of the NBME Shelf exams, except the vignettes on the real ones can be longer. They do help you work on timing and reading question stems (I always read the last line first!). Make sure to read ALL ques and explanations!

Of course, if you have rotations with in-house exams (e.g., at Pitt it's OB/GYN, Peds, Fam Med, Outpt Med/Peds), then you may want to add more varied question sources.

Good luck :luck:
I taught qbank was for 3 months, how do you get long time access, is there another qbank source. Thanks

I taught qbank was for 3 months, how do you get long time access, is there another qbank source. Thanks

If you call Kaplan directly, you can get better deals on Qbank. I was able to get 12-mo of Step2 Qbank for the price of 6-mos ($399?). They called this an "early bird special", back around July 2006. This has been great for all my third year clerkships. Just be assertive when you call.

For my actual Step2, I'm going w/ USMLE World, of course :)