neuro_psych

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Hi all

Can somebody help me with some querries

I am a SHO( resident) in psychiatry in UK at present and finished almost 2 yrs of training. I haven't done MRCPsych yet but hoping to do that in next year or so. So far I haven't had any involvement with any research ut i have done a couple of audits.( no publication)

I had written usmle part 1 and barely passed it with score of 186(76) . I know its too bad. But I will try my best to get above 90 in step 2 and step 3.

I am hoping to come to us for a 2008 match. I am looking at residency in Psychiatry, neurology and neuropsychiatry. Please help me with my querries if anybody can, THANKS IN ADVANCE

How competitive these specialities are, especially neuropsychiatry.

I checked on frieda online and none of neuropsychiatry programs are affiliated with US gov, what does this mean.

Is there anybody who has done neuropsychiatry residency who can tell me what does it include, what are job prospects afterwards (pay scale) and do you practice as psychiatrist/neurologist or both.

I ll appreciate any answers

Thankyou again

fiatslug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
well, I'll jump in, though I don't think I can give you the answers you're looking for. I'm a 3rd yr resident in psychiatry in California. I've never heard of a residency in "neuropsychiatry"; in the US, we sit for boards administered by the Academy of Psychiatry & Neurology (I may have the board's name wrong), but there are separate residencies for psychiatry and neurology in the states. Here, psychiatrists practice in psychiatry and neurologists practice neurology, though there are of course obvious areas of overlap. We could all call ourselves "neuropsychiatrists," I suppose, but it's sort of implied.

I'm unfamiliar with the UK schooling/residency/licensing process, so I don't know where you are as compared to where a US graduate from medical school is--would you be essentially repeating a residency here in the states? Psychiatry is getting more competitive in the states, particularly on the East & West coast. Historically, it's been quite friendly to IMGs, but I expect that will get tighter as interested & qualified US grads apply.

As far as salaries go, a psychiatrist can look to make from a low of $120K in academic medicine (heard this is the going rate for starting psychiatrists at UCSF) to probably near 180-250K for most practicioners, depending on type of practice. And there are those folks who can pull in much more with further training and/or a head for business.

Milo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
I think he/she is looking for a combined neurology and psychiatry program.

mdblue

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
neuro_psych said:
Hi all

Can somebody help me with some querries

I am a SHO( resident) in psychiatry in UK at present and finished almost 2 yrs of training. I haven't done MRCPsych yet but hoping to do that in next year or so. So far I haven't had any involvement with any research ut i have done a couple of audits.( no publication)

I had written usmle part 1 and barely passed it with score of 186(76) . I know its too bad. But I will try my best to get above 90 in step 2 and step 3.

I am hoping to come to us for a 2008 match. I am looking at residency in Psychiatry, neurology and neuropsychiatry. Please help me with my querries if anybody can, THANKS IN ADVANCE

How competitive these specialities are, especially neuropsychiatry.

I checked on frieda online and none of neuropsychiatry programs are affiliated with US gov, what does this mean.

Is there anybody who has done neuropsychiatry residency who can tell me what does it include, what are job prospects afterwards (pay scale) and do you practice as psychiatrist/neurologist or both.

I ll appreciate any answers

Thankyou again
PM me :)

OP
N

neuro_psych

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Hi all

Thanks all for your messages.

Yes I was asking about combined programs for neurology and psychiatry.

I will have to repeat residency as UK experience will not count towards american MD, but I wonder will this experience help me getting interviews and matching, given my low scores in step 1.

MDblue, please check PM, Thanks