Psychiatrists, Physicians, and the Prescriptive Bond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronpies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, All--For anyone interested in my take on the divisions within psychiatry, and how they might be bridged, I have an Editorial up on the Psychiatric Times website. The link is

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/display/article/10168/1555057?CID=rss

but you may need to "register" (for free!) as a health care professional in order to bring up the article. Essentially, I argue that the "split" within psychiatry that anthropologist Tanya Luhrmann described in her 2000 book,
"Of Two Minds" has only widened in some respects; and that the way forward requires bridging this divide by articulating a medically-based, but pluralistic, profession of psychiatry: one fully-grounded in general medicine and neurology, yet sensitive to the "inner life" and psychodynamics of the patient. I also discuss the "prescription" --that little piece of paper!--in terms of its symbolic and moral implications. I develop the concept of the "prescriptive bond" as an implicit contract between physician and patient.
I believe the arguments have direct implications for many of the ideas being discussed and debated here. --Cheers, Ron Pies MD

Members don't see this ad.

Well, thank you--I'm honored! I don't believe I've ever had my own thread. Perhaps our readers will weave it into an interesting fabric! ---Best regards, Ron Pies MD