Psychiatry movie coming out soon: Side Effects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In this case a professional meeting denotes any gathering that would affect potential employment.

To wrap up- I hope my intimate knowledge and appreciation of the leitmotifs of Wagner's Ring Cycle are no more likely to get me hired than another candidates intimate knowledge and appreciation of gentleman's clubs.

if you believe that, you're very naive. Look at the way businesses, partners in business, and basically the world in general works. If I interview next week with an outpt practice where all the psychiatrists there are feminazis, I doubt they are going to ask me to join the group. They are going to say "hmmm, he just doesn't seem like a good fit here". That's the way the world works.

Members don't see this ad.

Note to applicants: if any resident (or staff for that matter) invites you to a "gentleman's club", however "upscale" such establishment may be, please feel free to report that invitation to the Program Director. Said resident may indeed decide that you're not someone he wants to work with, but rest assured, he will not be there in that program the next time you visit. :rolleyes:

It would really only work with AMG residents hanging out with AMG applicants interviewing in big cities(NY, Miami, LA, Atlanta, etc....)....

Members don't see this ad :)
if you believe that, you're very naive. Look at the way businesses, partners in business, and basically the world in general works here in 1963*. If I interview next week with an outpt practice where all the psychiatrists there are feminazis, I doubt they are going to ask me to join the group. They are going to say "hmmm, he just doesn't seem like a good fit here". That's the way the world works.

Oh I can't imagine why... :rolleyes:

*PS--you left a couple of words out, Mr. Draper, so I added it in for clarity's sake.

*PS--you left a couple of words out, Mr. Draper, so I added it in for clarity's sake.

Academia is different(and I realize the original point of this discussion centered around applicants applying for residency). So are govt employers. But apart from that the basic principle of people working with people they feel most comfortable around, like the most(whatever you want to call it) still holds true.....qualifications and skills and whatever matter, but there are a lot of sufficiently qualified and skilled people out there.

If a group is looking to add one person between two different candidates, and they feel both can meet the needs of the job/their practice goals, they are going to pick the one they like more, want to hang out with more, etc....

I feel like I'll step away from this thread now. I don't feel it's productive at this point. I'll also note that if an intern or two(meaningful because I would want to know they are going to be in the program simultaneously with me) had invited me for drinks at a nice gentlemans club after the formal interview dinner and we had a good time, I would have been far more likely to rank them highly.

Academia is different(and I realize the original point of this discussion centered around applicants applying for residency). So are govt employers. But apart from that the basic principle of people working with people they feel most comfortable around, like the most(whatever you want to call it) still holds true.....qualifications and skills and whatever matter, but there are a lot of sufficiently qualified and skilled people out there.

If a group is looking to add one person between two different candidates, and they feel both can meet the needs of the job/their practice goals, they are going to pick the one they like more, want to hang out with more, etc....

I feel like I'll step away from this thread now. I don't feel it's productive at this point. I'll also note that if an intern or two(meaningful because I would want to know they are going to be in the program simultaneously with me) had invited me for drinks at a nice gentlemans club after the formal interview dinner and we had a good time, I would have been far more likely to rank them highly.

This thread is reminding me of how burnt out I am with medicine and medicine-types. I just want to do my job and go home and live my life outside of medicine. I don't particularly want to hang out with my goofball Type-A co-residents. I don't want to go to retreats, or play ping-pong with them, or play Pin the Tail on the Donkey over a bowl of fruit punch. If I meet a person or two who I gel with, great. We can hang and do things, just like normal friends.

But this whole notion of "let's play summercamp" with my co-residents is mildly infuriating. We're not freshman at a dorm. We're adults doing a job. Let things happen organically and leave it alone.

:smack:

This has to be professional trolling at it's finest... there is just no way someone rational would actually suggest something like this for an interview dinner.

Last edited:
I just want to pipe in that despite claims to the contrary, the concept of inviting applicants to a strip club (the only folks who call them gentlemen's clubs are the ones who also believe that the ladies work there because it gives them a sexual thrill as they pay their way through college) is not acceptable in the business world. I did consulting for years and I would not have dreamed of taking the client out to one nor would I take a potential employee or co-worker as part of the recruitment process. It would have demonstrated bad judgment and questionable character on my part.

This being an acceptable form of business went out of favor back when it was still okay for bosses to pat their secretaries in the ass. And the reason it was acceptable is that the business world was still dominated by straight white men. Times change. Thank God.

:smack:

This has to be professional trolling at it's finest... there is just no way someone rational would actually suggest something like this for an interview dinner.

(sigh)

for the 100th time, not the interview dinner itself. It would be an optional, non-officially program sponsored, after dinner thing.....

Members don't see this ad :)
(sigh)

for the 100th time, not the interview dinner itself. It would be an optional, non-officially program sponsored, after dinner thing.....

You seriously need to stop. There is NO context in which this would be appropriate. One has to wonder about your judgment.

You seriously need to stop. There is NO context in which this would be appropriate. One has to wonder about your judgment.

Only if "one" hasn't seen his posts on this forum in the past. I'm surprised that there are still people on this board who don't have vistaril on their "ignore" list...

Only if "one" hasn't seen his posts on this forum in the past. I'm surprised that there are still people on this board who don't have vistaril on their "ignore" list...

It doesn't work. People still reply to him and his comments show up in the quotes...and then you can't follow awesome convo threads like this one.

Off topic much? How about that MOVIE?

I'm not an active poster, but have been lurking since 2004. I've seen everything vistaril has to offer. I just really struggle with the idea that there are psychiatrists out there with his understanding of how the world works. I rarely feel compelled to participate in discussion on this board, but feel the need to offer up counterpoints to some of the more outlandish of his statements out of a sense of duty to my profession and its reputation.

I wish Sazi or Whopper would give their analysis. I miss their long posts.

I'm not an active poster, but have been lurking since 2004. I've seen everything vistaril has to offer. I just really struggle with the idea that there are psychiatrists out there with his understanding of how the world works. I rarely feel compelled to participate in discussion on this board, but feel the need to offer up counterpoints to some of the more outlandish of his statements out of a sense of duty to my profession and its reputation.

:thumbup:

nothing like a pair of mammaries and some alcohol to loosen the social inhibitions

wow, you are funny man, continue to amaze me - what program, oh, i would love to know tolerated your sorry ass - wow, it speaks very bad of the program!!!

nothing like a pair of mammaries and some alcohol to loosen the social inhibitions

hahaha, whose social inhibitions? seriously, what age group are we talking about again, besides the point the professional area all this junk is being spewed out of, vist, vist?
:confused::confused::confused:

you are missing the point....it wouldnt be some formal 'professional' thing.

Think about all the awkward forced social things you did with residents related to the interview. I remember one night before an interview we met 3 residents(i think there were 4 of us applicants) for tea and coffee. And then made forced conversation about where we were from, what areas of psych we were interested in, asked the usual questions about their program, etc.....all while we sat around and drank coffee and/or tea in some crappy coffee house. I *guarantee* you not a single person of the 7 involved(at least I hope not) had a good time. I certainly didn't feel like I clicked with the residents, but heck sitting around drinking crappy tea listening to crappy elevator music I probably wouldn't have clicked with the coolest person in the world. If there would have been a situation where a couple of the people who would be cool went to a gentlemans club with a couple of the residents who were also cool with that(the others could go somewhere they preferred), I guarantee you we would have had a better time, clicked better, felt more comfortable, and really got a better sense of what they were like....and more importantly what their program was like.

"I certainly didn't feel like I clicked with the residents, but heck sitting around drinking crappy tea listening to crappy elevator music I probably wouldn't have clicked with the coolest person in the world." A bit limited?

Do you find yourself unable to hold conversations that allow you to "click" with anyone unless a woman is undressing in front of you? I hope you have open minded, non-misogynistic therapist, that grants equal respect to patients regardless of gender or sexual orientation (i believe i've read some brilliant prose in which you insists that you "don't have any issues with homosexuals" (aprx quote). I hope you can sort out WHY you need alcohol and the proximity of objectified females in a disadvantaged, exploitative position (they are naked and you get to gaze with your clothes on) in order to "bond" with other closed minded misogynistic individuals.

Doctors orders: attempt to think beyond patriarchal society's norms of acceptable behavior. A bit critical thinking. Supplement with cultural studies. Augment with Women's Studies." And than, maybe, just maybe, you may question why those women of upper-middle class subject themselves to voluntary sublimation(and go beyond your BPD jokes - but that is asking too much). Our society has done very well in brain washing people (a lot of whom vote unfortunately) with no critical skills what so ever. In this case "money" does not equate with education or freedom from internalized sublimation.

Hm, and the fact that your wife does not see any problem with you "gentlemen" clubs tells me you drank the same cool-aid and are mostly likely a good match, until she starts to ...do some noggin workouts:)

"I guess what I'm trying to get across is that if someone is going to get all hysterical and think "oh my god how could he ask if we wanted to hang out there."

Do you define and equate "hysterical" with someone that may express a strong feminist critical point of view and raise an objection to your choice of "entertainment" that actively dehumanizes, exploits, and objectifies women? (cliff note for your convenience - feminist does not denote gender, if you are confused) You have the DSM-IV, right? Are your female patients ok or are they all manipulative hysterical, neurotic, borderlines or all of the above? I do hope you do receive adequate supervision, for the sake of the patients. So would love to know what self-respecting academic environment is proud of your graduation.

(ok, this was a fun brake but vist, you're easy to poke at so i feel guilty of jumping on your case - you got to see the humor in it all, but keep in mind the points i brought up do not luck in validity;as someone else above said - this kind of thought process is not up to par with the powers and responsibilities a future, out on the loose, psychiatrist...will be given - wow - side efects - you never what loony you may encounter behind a care giving degree:)

peace:)

"I certainly didn't feel like I clicked with the residents, but heck sitting around drinking crappy tea listening to crappy elevator music I probably wouldn't have clicked with the coolest person in the world." A bit limited?

Do you find yourself unable to hold conversations that allow you to "click" with anyone unless a woman is undressing in front of you? I hope you have open minded, non-misogynistic therapist, that grants equal respect to patients regardless of gender or sexual orientation (i believe i've read some brilliant prose in which you insists that you "don't have any issues with homosexuals" (aprx quote). I hope you can sort out WHY you need alcohol and the proximity of objectified females in a disadvantaged, exploitative position (they are naked and you get to gaze with your clothes on) in order to "bond" with other closed minded misogynistic individuals.

Doctors orders: attempt to think beyond patriarchal society's norms of acceptable behavior. A bit critical thinking. Supplement with cultural studies. Augment with Women's Studies." And than, maybe, just maybe, you may question why those women of upper-middle class subject themselves to voluntary sublimation(and go beyond your BPD jokes - but that is asking too much). Our society has done very well in brain washing people (a lot of whom vote unfortunately) with no critical skills what so ever. In this case "money" does not equate with education or freedom from internalized sublimation.

Hm, and the fact that your wife does not see any problem with you "gentlemen" clubs tells me you drank the same cool-aid and are mostly likely a good match, until she starts to ...do some noggin workouts:)

"I guess what I'm trying to get across is that if someone is going to get all hysterical and think "oh my god how could he ask if we wanted to hang out there."

Do you define and equate "hysterical" with someone that may express a strong feminist critical point of view and raise an objection to your choice of "entertainment" that actively dehumanizes, exploits, and objectifies women? (cliff note for your convenience - feminist does not denote gender, if you are confused) You have the DSM-IV, right? Are your female patients ok or are they all manipulative hysterical, neurotic, borderlines or all of the above? I do hope you do receive adequate supervision, for the sake of the patients. So would love to know what self-respecting academic environment is proud of your graduation.

(ok, this was a fun brake but vist, you're easy to poke at so i feel guilty of jumping on your case - you got to see the humor in it all, but keep in mind the points i brought up do not luck in validity;as someone else above said - this kind of thought process is not up to par with the powers and responsibilities a future, out on the loose, psychiatrist...will be given - wow - side efects - you never what loony you may encounter behind a care giving degree:)

peace:)

this was about the funniest thing I have read this week. Now I know what the result would be if sylvia plath and ward churchhill had had a son....

BIG SPOILER ALERT

So, saw the movie today. For those who've seen it also, what do you think of the last scene in the doctor's office where he basically treated those medications like punishment? I understand that he wants justice and the antagonist may have thought that she's gotten away with her crime, but coupled with the final scene showing her back in the hospital spaced out, it seems that the doctor was content to use medications punitively as a substitute for the antagonist getting a criminal sentence.

Also, how about after what looks like a semi-serious suicide attempt and then an admission of continued suicidal ideation, how does the doctor not feel compelled to hospitalize her?

Lastly, who in their right mind continues to insist that inviting applicants to your residency program to visit a strip club in any officially or unofficially sanctioned capacity is normal? That's just crazy talk.

BIG SPOILER ALERT

So, saw the movie today. For those who've seen it also, what do you think of the last scene in the doctor's office where he basically treated those medications like punishment? I understand that he wants justice and the antagonist may have thought that she's gotten away with her crime, but coupled with the final scene showing her back in the hospital spaced out, it seems that the doctor was content to use medications punitively as a substitute for the antagonist getting a criminal sentence.

Also, how about after what looks like a semi-serious suicide attempt and then an admission of continued suicidal ideation, how does the doctor not feel compelled to hospitalize her?

Lastly, who in their right mind continues to insist that inviting applicants to your residency program to visit a strip club in any officially or unofficially sanctioned capacity is normal? That's just crazy talk.

Hollywood could have come up with something better. I am pitching a tv show about a neuroscientist who discovers time travel through a tesla helmet.

nice that catherine zeta jones is in it..she had announced she has bipolar 2 as was treated..
really awesome that she is in this movie..
when psychiatrists have helped her..

gd

As long as you accept that bipolar 2 can be sorted out over a long weekend in a private clinic....stigma associated with plugging your name into Google and it all being not entirely positive must be....well dreadful...something I'm sure the average patient can relate to in big big way...

ps. she never intended to come out....she had a long weekend in a clinic...it leaked to the press...got spun into a story...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/apr/17/catherine-zeta-jones-bipolar-disorder-national-enquirer
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...sts-victim-sick-talking-mental-condition.html

Last edited:
BIG SPOILER ALERT

So, saw the movie today. For those who've seen it also, what do you think of the last scene in the doctor's office where he basically treated those medications like punishment?

He's using the side effects to push her into threatening noncompliance. Once she balks, he can commit her.

Smoother storytelling (and something we can all point at and say "that ain't right"). Admitting her wouldn't have changed the rest of the story. She could have seen him outpatient or some other doc, but none of the major plot points would have changed.

Ibid, welcome back!

Thanks! :) I'm good, for a receptor tetris refusenik...... hope you are likewise!

Re: Films, Gaslight is a great film with a mental health theme imo.."A story that reveals a man's secret and unholy desires and probes the emotional depths of one woman's heart".

I won't ruin the ending.....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6j05aHvkXA[/YOUTUBE]

Something not widely known about John Nash, portrayed in "A beautiful mind".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film) (see divergence from facts section)

John Nash in the video below says explicitly he never used medication again after an initial period of crisis and the movie was purposely misleading because the screenwriter's mother was a psychologist enamored with medication and feared people would go off their medication if they knew the truth.

4.30 in.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiWBWwCa1E0[/YOUTUBE]

:rolleyes: Not that I care about staying on topic, but...
Review of the movie on a Psychiatrist's blog

Certainly not the only person who's taken issue with this film, the queer community has issued a call to action.

(quoted from link)

"The film gives no reason or explanation for why the character of Siebert had to be a bisexual woman. I can imagine the studio pitch where some exec suggests changing Victor Siebert (maybe Clive Owen was considered for that part) to Victoria Siebert. "Wouldn't it be more interesting if it was a female therapist being seduced by another woman?" One reviewer even used the word "titillating". Our sexual orientation - one that we have reconciled with after agonizing inner turmoil and at the risk of societal rejection - is a source of titillation for Hollywood.

When I was a young activist, I remember activists with placards and leaflets to protest movie theaters screening 'Basic Instinct'. Twenty years later, we have 'Side Effects', an equally, if not more, disturbing mainstream movie selling biphobia as intrigue and suspense.

Are we going to remain silent? Are we going to support this movie with our queer dollars? Online social media has taken the place of placards and leaflets. Activism is much easier these days, and much more powerful. I implore you to do your part."

http://bialogue.livejournal.com/46707.html

Certainly not the only person who's taken issue with this film, the queer community has issued a call to action.

(quoted from link)

"The film gives no reason or explanation for why the character of Siebert had to be a bisexual woman. I can imagine the studio pitch where some exec suggests changing Victor Siebert (maybe Clive Owen was considered for that part) to Victoria Siebert. "Wouldn't it be more interesting if it was a female therapist being seduced by another woman?" One reviewer even used the word "titillating". Our sexual orientation - one that we have reconciled with after agonizing inner turmoil and at the risk of societal rejection - is a source of titillation for Hollywood.

http://bialogue.livejournal.com/46707.html

I'm sure once Hollywood realizes they are at risk of losing the bisexual blogger demographic, we will never see any girl-on-girl sex scenes on-screen ever again.

Last edited:
I'm sure once Hollywood realizes they are at risk of losing the bisexual blogger demographic, we will never see any girl-on-girl sex scenes on-screen ever again.

Hey so long as we're getting well rounded, well written characters that don't play into tired old, negative stereotypes, I'm all for Hollywood putting out as many girl on girl sex scenes they want. As a matter of fact, I heartily encourage it. ;)

Bit like wanting a movie about Psychiatry to actually have well rounded, well written characters that don't play into tired old, negative stereoptypes...

...speaking of which, has there ever been a movie about Psychiatry that was actually half decent? I've seen I Never Promised You A Rose Garden, which I thought was a pretty good film for its time, but not sure how accurate it is from the Psych angle. It seems most films focus on the mental health aspect and have the psychiatrist there almost as an afterthought.

just don't take a medical student interviewing to be a psychiatry resident to see it, even "unofficially":laugh:

You know as a bisexual woman I can think of nothing more conducive to relaxation, and ease of concentration whilst interviewing for a Psychiatry residents position, than to be surrounded by a bunch of naked women...Oh, wait. ;)