Psychiatry Residency and Job Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how difficult it is to gain acceptance to a top tier psychiatry residency? Assuming I get one, what is the job market geared towards? Do most psychiatrists work in the private sector or are they needed most in hospitals? Thanks for answering my ignorant questions. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Psychiatry is becoming more competitive as more US grads enter the field but it still among the least competitive specialities. Rightly or wrongly, if you are a US grad with a decent record you will be seen by many programs to be a more attractive candidate than an IMG.

Like most specialities, the demand for psychiatrists varies from region to region. Some areas of the country desperately need more psychiatrists and if you choose to practice in those areas you will likely have a good practice. Of course, you will probably never make as much as an orthopedic surgeon, etc.

As for career options, there are many. There is, of course, private practice. Psychiatrists can work at a county mental health center, and many younger doctors do a combination of these two options while setting up a practice. You can work at a state mental hospital; the doctors who have done this that I know enjoyed this option because they could work with patients for a longer period of time than in other hospital settings and they don't have to deal with the paperwork, etc., of private practice. You can work in academics, teach, and do research. One area that many doctors are needed in in my area are psychiatrists to do consultations in private hospitals. Then there are the subspecialities of psychiatry -- forensic (where you work to evaluate defendents on their competency to stand trial and their mental state at the time of the alleged events), child, addiction, sleep medicine, etc.

Hope this gives you a little bit of the info you are looking for. I'm sure that others who post here will have more to add. Good luck!

I have done extensive research on this subject as I plan on going into psychiatry.

Pysch residencies are wide-open for the most part. Programs seemed to be concerned with the person, not the board scores. Psych revolves around the ability to communicate with people, and that's what psych programs want. If you have a 99 in Step 1 but are a book dork with not-so-good communication skills most programs would be hesitant to rank you. Furthermore, if you flunked Step 1 a few times and barely passed but are easy to talk do, have great communication skills, make people feel at ease around you, programs will gobble you up. I've come to this conclusion after talking to PD's at a couple of different places. Psych selection is very unlike other fields. They really do care a lot more about the person rather than academic achievement. Last year only 40% of pysch spots were taken by AMGs. Many mid-level university programs and community programs have to fill the majority of their spots by IMGs. If you are an American IMG or a DO you will easily match, as true IMGs tend to have communication problems (for the most part, I don't mean to stereotype anyone).

The psych job market is wide-open. There are actually shortages in many cities and parts of the country.

Pysch is a good field with the potential for one to do a lot of good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I agree with most of what Chianti said, I will warn you that some of the top academic programs will not take you if you have poor board scores, or clinical grades. In addition, successful applicants at these programs have had significant research experience. That being said, no program will take you if you have poor communication skills.

i m a non US IMG wit 82 in step 1 (2nd attempt) and very good in step2 90 1st shot. i dont have any experience in the states although i did work in my country in drug deaddiction for 6 mths. what chances do i ve of getting matched with all this, althoug i dont have any problem in communication since i have done all my studies in english. thanks in advance for your replies.

Originally posted by Chianti
. Last year only 40% of pysch spots were taken by AMGs.

Actually US Seniors filled 60.5% of the PGY1 spots in 2003 according to the NRMP 2003 match data.

If you really want to be "golden" in the psych job market, go into Peds Psych (requires a post-residency fellowship). Huge unmet need just about everywhere in the country.