Psychiatry Residency Programs without USMLE Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDoctorM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am in my third year of medical school (Osteopathic) and am interested in Psychiatry. I did not take the USMLE step 1 at the end of my second year and I wanted to hear about any experiences on matching into psychiatry without a Step 1 score. Am I limited to a DO match or is there a chance for me elsewhere? are there any auditions, preferably on the West coast because that is where my family is, that you would recommend for me?

I am in the process of setting up my fourth year rotations and any advice would help. Is it worthwhile to contact a competitive psychiatry residency program that might not be DO friendly to set up an audition in hopes of getting a good letter?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

i think itll be hard getting cali interviews without a USMLE score. Arrowhead, in san bernadino, has a decent DO psych program. Would definitely consider doing an away there.

Members don't see this ad :)
taking it and getting an interview are 2 diff things though.

I took the USMLE but you are in no way limited to the DO match if you did at least average on COMLEX.

Places I'd recommend that I know don't require USMLE are OHSU, Good Samaritan in Corvalis, Spokane.

Moving a bit more inland, Both university of Nevada programs, Banner in Phoenix.

Now if you want purely California, the DO match is probably a smarter way to go.

I thought that you couldn't take a resident without first having interviewed him.
I meant a program saying they accept comlex vs them actually offering an interview

I applied with COMLEX only, and am a resident at an ACGME program. Many others have done the same. I received numerous interviews at solid programs, so many places are willing to consider COMLEX only applicants. Maybe higher competitive programs have the luxury of choosing primarily MDs and not take those without the USMLE, but a large percent of programs will be open to you.

Last edited: