Psychiatry Residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ams8855

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel stupid asking some of these questions but I just can't seem to find the answers in other forums or on the internet. I was wondering if you guys could give me some answers or at least point me in a direction...please!!

First of all, I have wanted to persue psychiatry since high school and don't plan on changing this. I am graduating college this May (I'm 22) and will be starting medical school at DMU next year. My first question is whether or not attending an osteopathic school will hinder my chances in obtaining a psych residency? Should I plan on taking the USMLE as well as the COMLEX? Out of last year's DMU class, there were only about 7 out of ~220 students that got into a psych residency. Generally speaking, is psychiatry a difficult residency to get into? I have heard conflicting answers to this question and am really just looking for a truthful one.

Secondly, I was wondering how you get information on the different residency programs and how they compare. I know some of these programs are obviously better than others but am not really sure where to look to find a comparison.

I was also wondering if different areas of psych are more competitive than others. For example, I am very interested in child psych (and have spent my summers during college interning for a child psych hospital) and am wondering if this type of residency is harder to get into.

Also, what will increase my chances of obtaining a good residency? Is research a necessity here? I'm not a huge fan of research, but would be definitely willing to do it if it increases my chances. What about volunteering in the community; does this help as well (especially if it's something psych related??)? Should I try to do my psych rotation during 3rd/4th years at a hospital where there's a residency I'm interested in?

Again, I know this is really early to be asking these types of questions but I'm just really curious and excited for medical school to start. Thanks in advance for all of your replies! :)

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I think you should relax. I also went to medical school to be a psychiatrist and just that fact got me any interview I wanted (and I'm from an offshore school). Though my board scores of 99 and 99 probably helped. Secondly, if you want a child fellow, it won't be a problem. I see too many med students who are going into psych not assessing whether they want to do academics or private practice. If you want private practice, then a big name psych residency will not help you any. Think about where you want to live and go there. You are much better off going to a residency program and establishing contacts and then practicing in that area. Now if you want to go into academics, then research is beneficial, as is a big name university. A DO school will not hinder you at all. Again, relax. Just worry about learning the stuff that is in front of you. Wait until your 3rd year to get worried about all this stuff. You'll be fine.

I'm working in a Child & Adolescent Partial unit right now, and I hear all the time how there's a major shortage of Child & Adolescent Psychiatrists. So I imagine it shouldn't be too much trouble to get into it.