Psychoanalysis Vs. Dynamics?

Started by maranatha
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

maranatha

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I come from a medical school whose psych department leans toward the biological side and really beats the drum of CBT, IPT, and what not; so I'm less familiar with psychodynamics...

I keep on hearing that psychoanalysis and psychodynamics are different. Can someone explain the difference to me?

Thanks!
 
Well, not being an analyst myself, but being trained in a dynamics-heavy program, my rule of thumb is that psychodynamic therapy is generally 2x a week (a.k.a. insight-oriented psychodynamic therapy) and can be either a brief short-term treatment or a longer treatment of 1-2 years. Psychoanalysis is 4x a week, conducted by an analyst, and occurs over a much longer time spans (years). While there are techniques in common, interpretation, dream work, & working in the transference, my impression is that there's a real difference in the intensity of the treatment.

MBK2003
 
Well, not being an analyst myself, but being trained in a dynamics-heavy program, my rule of thumb is that psychodynamic therapy is generally 2x a week (a.k.a. insight-oriented psychodynamic therapy) and can be either a brief short-term treatment or a longer treatment of 1-2 years. Psychoanalysis is 4x a week, conducted by an analyst, and occurs over a much longer time spans (years). While there are techniques in common, interpretation, dream work, & working in the transference, my impression is that there's a real difference in the intensity of the treatment.

MBK2003

Also, psychoanalytic theory is grounded in Freud's concept of the two basic drives - sex and aggression (eros & thanatos).

Back in the day, several theorists did not agree on the centrality of eros/thanataos, and developed psychodynamic theories that stress otherwise similar concepts (i.e., inner conflicts, the unconscious, working with transference, etc.- as MBK nicely outlined) but without the particularly strong focus on sex and aggression.

Also, in addition to being shorter in terms of # of sessions, psychodynamic therapy is typically a bit more structured within the session.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, psychoanalytic theory is grounded in Freud's concept of the two basic drives - sex and aggression (eros & thanatos).

Back in the day, several theorists did not agree on the centrality of eros/thanataos, and developed psychodynamic theories that stress otherwise similar concepts (i.e., inner conflicts, the unconscious, working with transference, etc.- as MBK nicely outlined) but without the particularly strong focus on sex and aggression.

Also, in addition to being shorter in terms of # of sessions, psychodynamic therapy is typically a bit more structured within the session.

Modern psychoanalysis integrates the concepts of Jung, Klein, Kohut, etc. No-one practices pure Freudian analysis anymore.
 
Modern psychoanalysis integrates the concepts of Jung, Klein, Kohut, etc. No-one practices pure Freudian analysis anymore.

Sorry I wasn't more clear - I was just clarifying that, historically, the "sex thing" was where there was a large rift which set the ball rolling for some of these other "psychodynamic" models to emerge.

Not to turn this into a psychologist vs. psychiatrist thread (because I very genuinely don't want to do that), but I think it's interesting that very few psychologists are trained in psychoanalysis these days, whereas several of my psychiatry colleagues get a lot of this on residency. For example, one of my psychiatry buddies refers to all therapy as "analysis." He always asks me about my "analysis" cases, when in reality, I'm a behaviorist. It's an interesting divergence of the two fields.
 
.....I think it's interesting that very few psychologists are trained in psychoanalysis these days, whereas several of my psychiatry colleagues get a lot of this on residency.

Interesting. I believe one reason behind this is the problem of pratical application of the approach in today's world (insurance coverage, frequency, duration, etc) I prefer an Object Relations perspective, but for some....they want a 'quicker' fix, which is one reason why CBT, and related approaches, have gained popularity. Each method has their own positives and negatives.....but I think the largest obstacle traditional analysis work encounters is the scarcity of time in our modern world.

-t