Psychodynamic Training in PHD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flanagan10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone know any Clinical Psychology programs which offer good psychodynamic/depth psychology internships and clinical training? What clinical psychology programs are good for getting a psychodynamic training? I doubt that I want to get this type of training, but want to look into things as I prepare. Thanks. -10

Members don't see this ad.

flanagan10 said:
Hi, Does anyone know any Clinical Psychology programs which offer good psychodynamic/depth psychology internships and clinical training? What clinical psychology programs are good for getting a psychodynamic training? I doubt that I want to get this type of training, but want to look into things as I prepare. Thanks. -10

Look into programs in the NYC area.

You should check out the Insider's Guide to Clinical and Counseling Graduate Programs (something close to that anyway), it lists all the accredited programs and rates them on a scale of 1 to 7, from highly clinically-oriented to highly research-oriented, and lists the faculty's clinical approaches. Programs that are psychodynamic generally are going to be closer to the low end of the scale, as research-oriented programs tend to emphasize CBT or other empirically-supported therapeutic methods.

City College's clinical PhD program (CUNY) is highly regarded for its clinical training, and they have a strong psychodynamic emphasis. As the previous poster stated, the NYC area schools tend to be psychodynamic in character. The University of Michigan has a stronger clinical focus than most research-oriented programs and I have heard that they have a significant amount of psychodynamic training as well. The general rule of thumb I have been told is that psychodynamic approaches tend to flourish on the coasts and in major urban centers.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Clinical program at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville is one of the few left that still emphasizes psychodynamics. That's where I did my undergrad degree.

flanagan10 said:

I don't know how important the school's rank is to you, but Adelphi in NY is a psychodynamic program. Although it is not a top program, it is well known for its clinical training (at least in NY). Just something to consider.

The program at Northwestern Univesity Medical School trains its students to perform both CBT and psychodynamic therapies and is well respected within both academic and clinical circles.

Generally speaking, Chicago and New York are going to have more training opportunities in psychodynamic therapies and psychoanalysis than the rest of the US (since they have the best psychoanalytic institutes). You might want to focus your search on these locations.

Check out The Wright Institute in Berkeley, I'm pretty sure it is psychodynamic

I know that you mentioned PhD programs but George Washington University's PsyD program is almost completely psychodynamic in nature and they have a ton of practicum sites where you receive psychodynamic training and supervision. I believe that the program is highly regarded but it can be expensive if you do not receive some tuition waiver. Good Luck.