Psychologist Assistant for Rec Letter?

Started by Dre42
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dre42

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

What are your thoughts on trying to get an assistantship for a working psychology professional to help bolster CV for grad school? I am looking to gain admission into an equal emphasis clincial psychology program (PhD) in the near future. I have a paid research position in a neuro psychology lab at a local med school and a volutneering position as a post bacc research assistant at a local university's psychogy lab where I'm taking some post bacc classes.

Seeing it that PhD in clincial psychology is a degree that implies research and practice, I've been thinking about reaching out to local psychologists to see if I can volunteer some time helping them with non confidential minutia office work in exchange for a chance to shadow a private practice and hopefully get a rec letter from working professional. Is this something that is feasible to puruse?
 
I am a clinician and am not involved with admissions. But I don't think most programs would put much weight on shadowing because what could that person really say? That you had professional demeanor? That you seem like a nice person?

It's important in medicine because you get to see the reality/grind of being a doctor, which should theoretically discourage some people from this path but helping out with paperwork/billing or potentially sitting in on therapy sessions doesn't add much to your ability to succeed in grad school IMO (although it might help you realize whether this is a good path for you). Plus, you can watch videos of experts doing therapy all day long on YouTube or via paid CEs/trainings.

The general assumption is that if somebody can meet the academic rigors of grad school for psychology, they can be trained to become a competent clinician, whether they have had a lot of exposure or none or even if their ultimate interest in doing clinical work is minimal. So I would focus on what you're already doing or explore other options if you have time. Good luck!