psychologist/psychiatrist2B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasevan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently discovered SDNF.

Currently I'm completing my post-doc fellowship in clinical psychology and have begun taking pre-req courses for medical school.

I'm planning to go to medical school in a couple of years and to eventually practice psychiatry.

Just wondering if there are any psychiatry residents out here who are also psychology professionals?

Peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!
I'm doing something similar but i didnt go to the doctorate level...im getting my masters in clinical psychology, and i grad in may (fingers crossed i get my thesis in on time) and I am applying now and interviewing for med school. Med school was always my ultimate goal, but i love psychology so much, that i took the extra time i had to go get my masters. hopefully in 9 years or so, ill be a child and adol psychiatrist.
you dont find many of us out there!

indigofire,

Where are you doing your Master's? I am aware of a few terminal M.A. programs in psychology, so was curious to know. What are you studying? Have you considered clinical psychology?

PH

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Indigofire,

CONGRATULATIONS:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: on your upcoming psych graduation (good luck with your thesis defense).

Congrats too on already applying to med school. Best of luck with that as well.

It was a psychologist/psychiatrist doing his child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship at the med ctr where I'm doing my post-doc fellowship that clarified many issues for me and inspired me to follow a similar road to his.

Like he said, you can be a psychologist AND a psychiatrist. You don't have to deny your identity. Other psychiatrists with whom I work have echoed this and assurred me that my psychology background will be a big plus in getting into a great psychiatry residency. Hope that is true for both of us.

Peace.

I did think of doing clinical psychology...Im out at East Carolina U. and no there are not that many terminal masters programs in cl. psychology. but med school was always my ultimate goal...and i think that this is a good background to have to do that.
Im really excited about actually getting to do somewhat what i had always wanted.

I actually have met a bunch of psychiatrists over at Brody School of Med at ECU and they are really well up on psyhology as well, which is promising. and i have heard from lots of people that it is better to have a background that makes you more interdisciplinary.
so thats good news!