Psychologists and Food

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For quick meals I just push the lever, works most of the time

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
For quick meals I just push the lever, works most of the time

For some reason I just picture folks pushing a lever and having chicken nuggets lobbed into their mouths from a McDonalds drive through window.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the few things I miss about grad school is scavenging leftover food from department talks/events.

Reactions: 6 users
One of my friends and I like fantasizing about being food critics instead of psychologists

Reactions: 1 users
One of the few things I miss about grad school is scavenging leftover food from department talks/events.

I mean you can still do that. People will just give you odd looks. I have an older family member who used to get dressed up and crash wedding cocktail hours at the local hotels when he was a med student. This gets you free cocktails as well.

I just got one doing that. I have a refrigerator full of ham, turkey, and chicken sandwiches.
Took 2 cases of sparkling water too. I think people thought I was cleaning up after the event.
And I'll do it again.

Reactions: 1 user
Former colleague had a baking blog as a side gig. Almost every week we got to test out the new recipes. A running joke became that we would have listed it as a requirement in all future job ads if HR allowed us.

On a more serious note, would love any recipe recommendations for people health-conscious, who work ridiculous hours and have small children. Sufficient protein, sufficient sleep and being a sufficient parent seems to be a zero-sum game for me. Only so much canned tuna dumped over a prepackaged salad that I can take.

Reactions: 2 users
On a more serious note, would love any recipe recommendations for people health-conscious, who work ridiculous hours and have small children. Sufficient protein, sufficient sleep and being a sufficient parent seems to be a zero-sum game for me. Only so much canned tuna dumped over a prepackaged salad that I can take.
Especially during grad school, I would make these single pot lentil based stews all the time.

Started with sauteed onion and garlic, dump in canned diced tomatoes (and tomato paste if you want it more tomato-ey), and then add dried lentils, some canned beans (kidney and/or black) and season as you wish (tumeric, cayenne pepper, cumin, ketchup for umani, salt/pepper, etc) and cook for a hour or so and it will last a week or so (or longer if frozen).

You can also add fresh veggies like bell peppers or eggplant, canned veggies like corn and ground or chunked meat if you like. But even without meat, you get tons of protein from the lentils and and beans.

It's easy to put into a tupperware and heats up great, with the flavors getting better over time. I'm sure you can find plenty of specific recipes online for something like this.

Reactions: 2 users
Former colleague had a baking blog as a side gig. Almost every week we got to test out the new recipes. A running joke became that we would have listed it as a requirement in all future job ads if HR allowed us.

I enjoy cooking and do most of it at home, but my wife does not. Still, she is responsible for one night a week. I've turned her on to crock pot meals. Do some prep the night before (e.g., cut/dice veggies if needed) and in the morning, throw everything in the post, put on low, and when you get back from work, dinner is ready. Works especially well as we get into fall/winter as you can make a wide variety of hearty stews and chilis. Plenty of ways to make fairly healthy chili, like lean turkey as the protein and such.

I did a rotation at a community mental health clinic around 2011ish. This was before the big crack down on big pharma. Let me tell you....the stuff the reps brought in and catered was AMAZING. They....don't do that as much any more from what ive heard hahah. optics and all. (sidenote: Ive also got a cousin who was a purdue rep in the 90s, and everything you've heard or seen on the docs is all true).

A801D56F-75E0-429D-9FFD-4232DE9D6D08.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)

Air fryer has changed my life.

Marinated chicken thighs - 25 min at 400 (you can't really overcook them)

Frozen fish (I like tilapia) - 7-10 min in the air fryer. I usually thaw and season it ahead of time. Goes well with rice and veggies or I like to throw it in a soft taco shell with crema, avocado, tomato and onion.

I usually reserve grilling or from scratch cooking for the weekends.

My wife is the baker/Instapot expert.

Poke! Rice with protein (usually fish, I do tofu), sauce, and vegetables--easy and so good!

Poke! Rice with protein (usually fish, I do tofu), sauce, and vegetables--easy and so good!

How do you prepare your tofu? I've been doing crispy tofu (cornstarch) for my stir fry dishes, but I am a newbie with tofu.

Actually this + air fryer suggestion could be great. Stir-fry that more or less aligns with what you describe is my usual go-to. Air fryer might make that healthier and easier. I'd love to do traditional poke, but haven't been brave enough to do raw fish at home...

Really need to get that air fryer. Been on my list forever, its one of the few cooking items we don't have.

I just got one doing that. I have a refrigerator full of ham, turkey, and chicken sandwiches.
Took 2 cases of sparkling water too. I think people thought I was cleaning up after the event.
And I'll do it again.
I fully support this. My then poor self survived grad school and fellowship interviews by grabbing leftovers with permission from staff and taking it back to my hotel.

How do you prepare your tofu? I've been doing crispy tofu (cornstarch) for my stir fry dishes, but I am a newbie with tofu.

If you have access to one of those stove top griddles or even just a big skillet, here's what you do. Press extra firm tofu for however long you usually press it, then pat very dry with paper towels. Slice it into rectangles that are maybe 3-4 inches long and no more than an inch thick. Grease your griddle/skillet well, heat it up, lay out the rectangles in a single layer, flipping occasionally until you get a nice, crispy golden brown crust on both sides. Then put it in whatever dish you are making.

You get that excellent crisp outer shell and the soft chewy inside.

Of course.my people are culturally southern so sauteing those rectangles for a while in copious barbecue sauce served up along a mess of collards or mustard greens and homemade cornbread (super-easy, real fire and forget recipe) is always a good time.

Air fryer! Absolutely the best way to cook chicken without firing up the grill. It makes wonderful roast veggies too.
My competition season ends next week. Currently planning pies.
We just moved and the new house has a pear tree with an unbelievable yield. Got some canning stuff to start that!
For people without much upbringing for making food, I strongly suggest Alton Brown’s Good Eats. Very accessible ways to make great food and he brought on scientists and historians to talk about food too.

Grilled pizza- left is with cheddar, apple, arugula dressed with vinaigrette, walnuts, and pecorino Romano, right with smoked Gouda, pear, ham, chèvre, arugula, pecorino Romano, walnuts, and balsamic vinegar-fig butter reduction. Enjoyed with a local Oktoberfest and local-ish double IPA, while playing cribbage on the porch.
IMG_4479.jpeg

I tried a new recipe: cheesy white bean bake on toast.
  • white beans
  • garlic
  • tomato paste
  • mozz,parm
  • crust bread
So good.

Air fryer! Absolutely the best way to cook chicken without firing up the grill. It makes wonderful roast veggies too.
My competition season ends next week. Currently planning pies.
We just moved and the new house has a pear tree with an unbelievable yield. Got some canning stuff to start that!
For people without much upbringing for making food, I strongly suggest Alton Brown’s Good Eats. Very accessible ways to make great food and he brought on scientists and historians to talk about food too.
I kind of want this thingy:

It seems to add the benefits of smoke with the ease of electricity...

No breakfast! Only cheeeseburger!

cheeeseburger, cheeeeseburger, cheeeeseburger...!

I kind of want this thingy:

It seems to add the benefits of smoke with the ease of electricity...
A smoking gun would do the same thing for less than a hundred bucks. I have one; works great for cocktails and meat.

Old man, none of these kids are going to get a Belushi era SNL reference.
Started streaming all the SNL episodes from 75-79 on Peacock last month while I work. Never realized it was all on there before now.

Started streaming all the SNL 75-79 on Peacock last moth while I work. Never realized it was all on there before.
Do they have the full seasons from the 80s and 90s? Netflix had all the seasons but most of the material was cut from that time block (eg no Wayne), I think bc the actors maybe own the characters still.

I watched the awful season (80?) when it was on Netflix, wow that was bad.

1Do they have the full seasons from the 80s and 90s? Netflix had all the seasons but most of the material was cut from that time block (eg no Wayne), I think bc the actors maybe own the characters still.

I'm only up to 1978 at this point. But I think Peacock has them all if you have the subscription? Seems to anyway....

I could watch the Samurai Delicatessen sketch all day! Some of them I gloss over of course cause I'm working on something and it's in the background, but that one made me stop in my tracks. Definitely one of the benefits of work-from-home/remote working!

Last edited:
Do they have the full seasons from the 80s and 90s? Netflix had all the seasons but most of the material was cut from that time block (eg no Wayne), I think bc the actors maybe own the characters still.

80-81 and 94-95 were pretty epically bad.

80-81 and 94-95 were pretty epically bad.
There is a Farley sketch during that time that is probably poo-pooed by today's standards (sexist language?) but I still think is pretty great.

I still remember my high school girlfriend and I watching the shweaty balls NPR sketch episode live when it happened and waking up her parents cause we were laughingly so hard.

Last edited:
Are you a fan of homemade instant dry soup? It was pretty interesting when I saw it, you just take a bunch of dried veggies, spices, quick cooking pasta, freeze dried meats, instant potatoes etc then you put it in a jar or bag. You store it as long as you want, then just add boiling water and presto, ready-to-eat soup.

Adam Driver Soup GIF by VON GRAMBUSCH

Are you a fan of homemade instant dry soup? It was pretty interesting when I saw it, you just take a bunch of dried veggies, spices, quick cooking pasta, freeze dried meats, instant potatoes etc then you put it in a jar or bag. You store it as long as you want, then just add boiling water and presto, ready-to-eat soup.

Adam Driver Soup GIF by VON GRAMBUSCH
You know, I have fantasized about this level of food prep but have never been able to get my life together enough to do it.

I've been curing my own lox, which is super easy and tasty.

I've want to try this out:

I just bought some duck eggs and if my schedule frees up Friday, maybe.

Otherwise, I do almost all the cooking for the family and I am in dire need of more easy baked chicken ideas.

Time for gumbo! I'll be adding crawfish for the first time this round, so we'll see how that goes.

Easy summer proteins that look like you're trying:

1) Rack of lamb: marinate in neutral oil+acid of your choice+game friendly herbs or full grain mustard. 450 for 12-20 min.
2) Neutral fish filet: use to bind such as sugar+butter or a light egg wash, cover in a mixture of panko+seasoning+maybe garlic+light paprika+parsley for color. 400 on lower rack for normal cook time.
3) Chicken breast: saute, remove chicken, deglaze with stock+lemon juice, add dill, reduce, add chicken, cover until done. You can do that with rosemary as well, but rosemary is gross.
4) Grill pan + marinated whatever. Skewers add something to the presentation. If you're having guests, getting them involved in putting things on skewers can be a fun activity if they are more casual.
5) Whole trout: pat dry, stuff with lemon+herbs, brush with oil + salt, wrap in foil, bake for less than 20 min

I've been experimenting with spatchcocking drumsticks recently. The texture is interesting.

A smoking gun would do the same thing for less than a hundred bucks. I have one; works great for cocktails and meat.
Yeah... and it's price tag. Maybe just get a pellet grill. I already have a smoker called a pit barrel cooker. But that price is wild.

Yeah... and it's price tag. Maybe just get a pellet grill. I already have a smoker called a pit barrel cooker. But that price is wild.
Got an upright/cabinet smoker for Xmas last year. I want to say it was ~$250. Propane fired, with a tray for wood chips/chunks. Works pretty good and I've done the usual stuff- ribs, brisket, pork butt, chicken wings. Also have tried some non-traditional stuff- pizza (just ok), corn on the cob (good), mac-n-cheese (good, but not much of an improvement on the original). We especially like it for turkey burgers- more juicy and more flavor than other cooking methods.

Today I made a chocolate Great Depression cake with chocolate frosting. It’s a cake with no eggs, milk or butter. Came out really good!

For my birthday, my wife got me a small high-temp pizza oven. We can now make pizza as good as your average Neapolitan place. Look at all that char.

20230922_193618.jpg

20230922_193421.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Today I made a chocolate Great Depression cake with chocolate frosting. It’s a cake with no eggs, milk or butter. Came out really good!
I've that dude on tiktok who makes depression cakes. What was in it? One of my favorite swaps is applesauce for oil in baking.

I've recently fallen in love with mochi--ice cream bites wrapped in edible, sweet rice paper. Great way to eat small portions of ice cream without hassle or getting your hands sticky!
Dude - trader joe's has these caramel apple ones that awesome. I also had some sort of sweet bean one. Super good. Great texture.

I've that dude on tiktok who makes depression cakes. What was in it? One of my favorite swaps is applesauce for oil in baking.
The recipe I used called for a small amount of apple cider vinegar and also room temperature coffee.