-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Psychologists and Food
Started by AbnormalPsych
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sanman
O.G.
For quick meals I just push the lever, works most of the time
For some reason I just picture folks pushing a lever and having chicken nuggets lobbed into their mouths from a McDonalds drive through window.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For some reason I just picture folks pushing a lever and having chicken nuggets lobbed into their mouths from a McDonalds drive through window.
I prefer the McNugget Trebuchet.
One of the few things I miss about grad school is scavenging leftover food from department talks/events.
D
deleted1038433
One of my friends and I like fantasizing about being food critics instead of psychologists
Sanman
O.G.
One of the few things I miss about grad school is scavenging leftover food from department talks/events.
I mean you can still do that. People will just give you odd looks. I have an older family member who used to get dressed up and crash wedding cocktail hours at the local hotels when he was a med student. This gets you free cocktails as well.
I just got one doing that. I have a refrigerator full of ham, turkey, and chicken sandwiches.One of the few things I miss about grad school is scavenging leftover food from department talks/events.
Took 2 cases of sparkling water too. I think people thought I was cleaning up after the event.
And I'll do it again.
Former colleague had a baking blog as a side gig. Almost every week we got to test out the new recipes. A running joke became that we would have listed it as a requirement in all future job ads if HR allowed us.
On a more serious note, would love any recipe recommendations for people health-conscious, who work ridiculous hours and have small children. Sufficient protein, sufficient sleep and being a sufficient parent seems to be a zero-sum game for me. Only so much canned tuna dumped over a prepackaged salad that I can take.
On a more serious note, would love any recipe recommendations for people health-conscious, who work ridiculous hours and have small children. Sufficient protein, sufficient sleep and being a sufficient parent seems to be a zero-sum game for me. Only so much canned tuna dumped over a prepackaged salad that I can take.
Especially during grad school, I would make these single pot lentil based stews all the time.On a more serious note, would love any recipe recommendations for people health-conscious, who work ridiculous hours and have small children. Sufficient protein, sufficient sleep and being a sufficient parent seems to be a zero-sum game for me. Only so much canned tuna dumped over a prepackaged salad that I can take.
Started with sauteed onion and garlic, dump in canned diced tomatoes (and tomato paste if you want it more tomato-ey), and then add dried lentils, some canned beans (kidney and/or black) and season as you wish (tumeric, cayenne pepper, cumin, ketchup for umani, salt/pepper, etc) and cook for a hour or so and it will last a week or so (or longer if frozen).
You can also add fresh veggies like bell peppers or eggplant, canned veggies like corn and ground or chunked meat if you like. But even without meat, you get tons of protein from the lentils and and beans.
It's easy to put into a tupperware and heats up great, with the flavors getting better over time. I'm sure you can find plenty of specific recipes online for something like this.
Former colleague had a baking blog as a side gig. Almost every week we got to test out the new recipes. A running joke became that we would have listed it as a requirement in all future job ads if HR allowed us.
On a more serious note, would love any recipe recommendations for people health-conscious, who work ridiculous hours and have small children. Sufficient protein, sufficient sleep and being a sufficient parent seems to be a zero-sum game for me. Only so much canned tuna dumped over a prepackaged salad that I can take.
I enjoy cooking and do most of it at home, but my wife does not. Still, she is responsible for one night a week. I've turned her on to crock pot meals. Do some prep the night before (e.g., cut/dice veggies if needed) and in the morning, throw everything in the post, put on low, and when you get back from work, dinner is ready. Works especially well as we get into fall/winter as you can make a wide variety of hearty stews and chilis. Plenty of ways to make fairly healthy chili, like lean turkey as the protein and such.
I did a rotation at a community mental health clinic around 2011ish. This was before the big crack down on big pharma. Let me tell you....the stuff the reps brought in and catered was AMAZING. They....don't do that as much any more from what ive heard hahah. optics and all. (sidenote: Ive also got a cousin who was a purdue rep in the 90s, and everything you've heard or seen on the docs is all true).
Sanman
O.G.
Former colleague had a baking blog as a side gig. Almost every week we got to test out the new recipes. A running joke became that we would have listed it as a requirement in all future job ads if HR allowed us.
On a more serious note, would love any recipe recommendations for people health-conscious, who work ridiculous hours and have small children. Sufficient protein, sufficient sleep and being a sufficient parent seems to be a zero-sum game for me. Only so much canned tuna dumped over a prepackaged salad that I can take.
Air fryer has changed my life.
Marinated chicken thighs - 25 min at 400 (you can't really overcook them)
Frozen fish (I like tilapia) - 7-10 min in the air fryer. I usually thaw and season it ahead of time. Goes well with rice and veggies or I like to throw it in a soft taco shell with crema, avocado, tomato and onion.
I usually reserve grilling or from scratch cooking for the weekends.
My wife is the baker/Instapot expert.
Poke! Rice with protein (usually fish, I do tofu), sauce, and vegetables--easy and so good!Former colleague had a baking blog as a side gig. Almost every week we got to test out the new recipes. A running joke became that we would have listed it as a requirement in all future job ads if HR allowed us.
On a more serious note, would love any recipe recommendations for people health-conscious, who work ridiculous hours and have small children. Sufficient protein, sufficient sleep and being a sufficient parent seems to be a zero-sum game for me. Only so much canned tuna dumped over a prepackaged salad that I can take.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sanman
O.G.
Poke! Rice with protein (usually fish, I do tofu), sauce, and vegetables--easy and so good!
How do you prepare your tofu? I've been doing crispy tofu (cornstarch) for my stir fry dishes, but I am a newbie with tofu.
Actually this + air fryer suggestion could be great. Stir-fry that more or less aligns with what you describe is my usual go-to. Air fryer might make that healthier and easier. I'd love to do traditional poke, but haven't been brave enough to do raw fish at home...Poke! Rice with protein (usually fish, I do tofu), sauce, and vegetables--easy and so good!
Really need to get that air fryer. Been on my list forever, its one of the few cooking items we don't have.
I fully support this. My then poor self survived grad school and fellowship interviews by grabbing leftovers with permission from staff and taking it back to my hotel.I just got one doing that. I have a refrigerator full of ham, turkey, and chicken sandwiches.
Took 2 cases of sparkling water too. I think people thought I was cleaning up after the event.
And I'll do it again.
#SoupSeason
How do you prepare your tofu? I've been doing crispy tofu (cornstarch) for my stir fry dishes, but I am a newbie with tofu.
If you have access to one of those stove top griddles or even just a big skillet, here's what you do. Press extra firm tofu for however long you usually press it, then pat very dry with paper towels. Slice it into rectangles that are maybe 3-4 inches long and no more than an inch thick. Grease your griddle/skillet well, heat it up, lay out the rectangles in a single layer, flipping occasionally until you get a nice, crispy golden brown crust on both sides. Then put it in whatever dish you are making.
You get that excellent crisp outer shell and the soft chewy inside.
Of course.my people are culturally southern so sauteing those rectangles for a while in copious barbecue sauce served up along a mess of collards or mustard greens and homemade cornbread (super-easy, real fire and forget recipe) is always a good time.
D
deleted1162863
This thread is wholesome.
Air fryer! Absolutely the best way to cook chicken without firing up the grill. It makes wonderful roast veggies too.
My competition season ends next week. Currently planning pies.
We just moved and the new house has a pear tree with an unbelievable yield. Got some canning stuff to start that!
For people without much upbringing for making food, I strongly suggest Alton Brown’s Good Eats. Very accessible ways to make great food and he brought on scientists and historians to talk about food too.
My competition season ends next week. Currently planning pies.
We just moved and the new house has a pear tree with an unbelievable yield. Got some canning stuff to start that!
For people without much upbringing for making food, I strongly suggest Alton Brown’s Good Eats. Very accessible ways to make great food and he brought on scientists and historians to talk about food too.
Grilled pizza- left is with cheddar, apple, arugula dressed with vinaigrette, walnuts, and pecorino Romano, right with smoked Gouda, pear, ham, chèvre, arugula, pecorino Romano, walnuts, and balsamic vinegar-fig butter reduction. Enjoyed with a local Oktoberfest and local-ish double IPA, while playing cribbage on the porch.
I tried a new recipe: cheesy white bean bake on toast.
- white beans
- garlic
- tomato paste
- mozz,parm
- crust bread
I kind of want this thingy:Air fryer! Absolutely the best way to cook chicken without firing up the grill. It makes wonderful roast veggies too.
My competition season ends next week. Currently planning pies.
We just moved and the new house has a pear tree with an unbelievable yield. Got some canning stuff to start that!
For people without much upbringing for making food, I strongly suggest Alton Brown’s Good Eats. Very accessible ways to make great food and he brought on scientists and historians to talk about food too.
Ninja Woodfire™ 8-in-1 Outdoor Oven Ninja Catalog US - Ninja
Reimagine what you can cook outdoors with the Ninja Woodfire™ Outdoor Oven. Unlock 8-in-1 versatility with temps from 105-700°F to achieve premium textures and flavors with ease. Add woodfire flavor to anything you make with only 1/2 cup of pellets.
It seems to add the benefits of smoke with the ease of electricity...
No breakfast! Only cheeeseburger!
cheeeseburger, cheeeeseburger, cheeeeseburger...!
Old man, none of these kids are going to get a Belushi era SNL reference.
A smoking gun would do the same thing for less than a hundred bucks. I have one; works great for cocktails and meat.I kind of want this thingy:
![]()
Ninja Woodfire™ 8-in-1 Outdoor Oven Ninja Catalog US - Ninja
Reimagine what you can cook outdoors with the Ninja Woodfire™ Outdoor Oven. Unlock 8-in-1 versatility with temps from 105-700°F to achieve premium textures and flavors with ease. Add woodfire flavor to anything you make with only 1/2 cup of pellets.www.ninjakitchen.com
It seems to add the benefits of smoke with the ease of electricity...
Started streaming all the SNL episodes from 75-79 on Peacock last month while I work. Never realized it was all on there before now.Old man, none of these kids are going to get a Belushi era SNL reference.
Do they have the full seasons from the 80s and 90s? Netflix had all the seasons but most of the material was cut from that time block (eg no Wayne), I think bc the actors maybe own the characters still.Started streaming all the SNL 75-79 on Peacock last moth while I work. Never realized it was all on there before.
I watched the awful season (80?) when it was on Netflix, wow that was bad.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm only up to 1978 at this point. But I think Peacock has them all if you have the subscription? Seems to anyway....1Do they have the full seasons from the 80s and 90s? Netflix had all the seasons but most of the material was cut from that time block (eg no Wayne), I think bc the actors maybe own the characters still.
I watched the awful season (80?) when it was on Netflix, wow that was bad.
I could watch the Samurai Delicatessen sketch all day! Some of them I gloss over of course cause I'm working on something and it's in the background, but that one made me stop in my tracks. Definitely one of the benefits of work-from-home/remote working!
Last edited:
Do they have the full seasons from the 80s and 90s? Netflix had all the seasons but most of the material was cut from that time block (eg no Wayne), I think bc the actors maybe own the characters still.
I watched the awful season (80?) when it was on Netflix, wow that was bad.
80-81 and 94-95 were pretty epically bad.
There is a Farley sketch during that time that is probably poo-pooed by today's standards (sexist language?) but I still think is pretty great.80-81 and 94-95 were pretty epically bad.
I still remember my high school girlfriend and I watching the shweaty balls NPR sketch episode live when it happened and waking up her parents cause we were laughingly so hard.
Last edited:
Fun fact. My bio bases of behavior grad course was taught by a certain famous neuro guy at UF who has a very strong fondness for snl.80-81 and 94-95 were pretty epically bad.
Are you a fan of homemade instant dry soup? It was pretty interesting when I saw it, you just take a bunch of dried veggies, spices, quick cooking pasta, freeze dried meats, instant potatoes etc then you put it in a jar or bag. You store it as long as you want, then just add boiling water and presto, ready-to-eat soup.
8 Instant Dry Soup Mixes | Just Add Boiling Water
Just add boiling water for instant, nutritious soups perfect for backpacking, camping, dorms, office, travel, and emergencies.
You know, I have fantasized about this level of food prep but have never been able to get my life together enough to do it.Are you a fan of homemade instant dry soup? It was pretty interesting when I saw it, you just take a bunch of dried veggies, spices, quick cooking pasta, freeze dried meats, instant potatoes etc then you put it in a jar or bag. You store it as long as you want, then just add boiling water and presto, ready-to-eat soup.
![]()
8 Instant Dry Soup Mixes | Just Add Boiling Water
Just add boiling water for instant, nutritious soups perfect for backpacking, camping, dorms, office, travel, and emergencies.www.theyummylife.com
![]()
I've been curing my own lox, which is super easy and tasty.
I've want to try this out:
I just bought some duck eggs and if my schedule frees up Friday, maybe.
Otherwise, I do almost all the cooking for the family and I am in dire need of more easy baked chicken ideas.
I've want to try this out:
I just bought some duck eggs and if my schedule frees up Friday, maybe.
Otherwise, I do almost all the cooking for the family and I am in dire need of more easy baked chicken ideas.
Easy summer proteins that look like you're trying:
1) Rack of lamb: marinate in neutral oil+acid of your choice+game friendly herbs or full grain mustard. 450 for 12-20 min.
2) Neutral fish filet: use to bind such as sugar+butter or a light egg wash, cover in a mixture of panko+seasoning+maybe garlic+light paprika+parsley for color. 400 on lower rack for normal cook time.
3) Chicken breast: saute, remove chicken, deglaze with stock+lemon juice, add dill, reduce, add chicken, cover until done. You can do that with rosemary as well, but rosemary is gross.
4) Grill pan + marinated whatever. Skewers add something to the presentation. If you're having guests, getting them involved in putting things on skewers can be a fun activity if they are more casual.
5) Whole trout: pat dry, stuff with lemon+herbs, brush with oil + salt, wrap in foil, bake for less than 20 min
I've been experimenting with spatchcocking drumsticks recently. The texture is interesting.
1) Rack of lamb: marinate in neutral oil+acid of your choice+game friendly herbs or full grain mustard. 450 for 12-20 min.
2) Neutral fish filet: use to bind such as sugar+butter or a light egg wash, cover in a mixture of panko+seasoning+maybe garlic+light paprika+parsley for color. 400 on lower rack for normal cook time.
3) Chicken breast: saute, remove chicken, deglaze with stock+lemon juice, add dill, reduce, add chicken, cover until done. You can do that with rosemary as well, but rosemary is gross.
4) Grill pan + marinated whatever. Skewers add something to the presentation. If you're having guests, getting them involved in putting things on skewers can be a fun activity if they are more casual.
5) Whole trout: pat dry, stuff with lemon+herbs, brush with oil + salt, wrap in foil, bake for less than 20 min
I've been experimenting with spatchcocking drumsticks recently. The texture is interesting.
Yeah... and it's price tag. Maybe just get a pellet grill. I already have a smoker called a pit barrel cooker. But that price is wild.A smoking gun would do the same thing for less than a hundred bucks. I have one; works great for cocktails and meat.
Okay, so how do you do this? I need recipe/instructions.I tried a new recipe: cheesy white bean bake on toast.
So good.
- white beans
- garlic
- tomato paste
- mozz,parm
- crust bread
Okay, so how do you do this? I need recipe/instructions.
Cheesy White Bean Tomato Bake
This cheesy white bean tomato bake is the ultimate easy and cozy dinner recipe. We take white beans and simmer them in a fire-roasted tomato sauce then smother them with cheese. #theendlessmeal #beans
Got an upright/cabinet smoker for Xmas last year. I want to say it was ~$250. Propane fired, with a tray for wood chips/chunks. Works pretty good and I've done the usual stuff- ribs, brisket, pork butt, chicken wings. Also have tried some non-traditional stuff- pizza (just ok), corn on the cob (good), mac-n-cheese (good, but not much of an improvement on the original). We especially like it for turkey burgers- more juicy and more flavor than other cooking methods.Yeah... and it's price tag. Maybe just get a pellet grill. I already have a smoker called a pit barrel cooker. But that price is wild.
Today I made a chocolate Great Depression cake with chocolate frosting. It’s a cake with no eggs, milk or butter. Came out really good!
I've recently fallen in love with mochi--ice cream bites wrapped in edible, sweet rice paper. Great way to eat small portions of ice cream without hassle or getting your hands sticky!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've that dude on tiktok who makes depression cakes. What was in it? One of my favorite swaps is applesauce for oil in baking.Today I made a chocolate Great Depression cake with chocolate frosting. It’s a cake with no eggs, milk or butter. Came out really good!
Dude - trader joe's has these caramel apple ones that awesome. I also had some sort of sweet bean one. Super good. Great texture.I've recently fallen in love with mochi--ice cream bites wrapped in edible, sweet rice paper. Great way to eat small portions of ice cream without hassle or getting your hands sticky!
I've that dude on tiktok who makes depression cakes. What was in it? One of my favorite swaps is applesauce for oil in baking.
His cookbook is quality (Baking Yesteryear), definitely worth checking it out.
The recipe I used called for a small amount of apple cider vinegar and also room temperature coffee.I've that dude on tiktok who makes depression cakes. What was in it? One of my favorite swaps is applesauce for oil in baking.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 474
- Replies
- 26
- Views
- 3K