Psychology careers confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelloJoeHello

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread; if it's not then please redirect me. I am interested in the field of psychology, but I'm not really interested in therapy or research. I'd say that what I enjoy is effectively providing (clinical or non-clinical) insight about individuals, anticipating behavior or causes, and really just anything that might fall under the large label of "personality". I enjoy the diagnosis that clinical psychologists do, but I wouldn't say I'm genuinely interested in the work of therapy (you know, like, healing people). I'd say what I enjoy is effectively more consultation. Problem solving. I like providing insight, coming up with the answers, coming up with the "why" as it relates to people. I am very good at it. I know the BCBA path is getting big right now, but I'm not sure if that's the right fit. Forensic psychology sounds like maybe it's along the right lines. I know some clinical psychologists serve as experts in court cases or consultants in myriad other capacities. I just don't feel like good therapists serve to "come up with the answers", and that's sort of the crux of what I'm interested in.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked into program evaluation?
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread; if it's not then please redirect me. I am interested in the field of psychology, but I'm not really interested in therapy or research. I'd say that what I enjoy is effectively providing (clinical or non-clinical) insight about individuals, anticipating behavior or causes, and really just anything that might fall under the large label of "personality". I enjoy the diagnosis that clinical psychologists do, but I wouldn't say I'm genuinely interested in the work of therapy (you know, like, healing people). I'd say what I enjoy is effectively more consultation. Problem solving. I like providing insight, coming up with the answers, coming up with the "why" as it relates to people. I am very good at it. I know the BCBA path is getting big right now, but I'm not sure if that's the right fit. Forensic psychology sounds like maybe it's along the right lines. I know some clinical psychologists serve as experts in court cases or consultants in myriad other capacities. I just don't feel like good therapists serve to "come up with the answers", and that's sort of the crux of what I'm interested in.

Any suggestions?

Many clinical psychologists spend all their time doing assessment... in other words, figuring out the "what" and potentially the "why," without being the ones who try to address/heal anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many clinical psychologists spend all their time doing assessment... in other words, figuring out the "what" and potentially the "why," without being the ones who try to address/heal anything.

Definitely some, but even in Neuropsychology, many of my colleagues conduct assessments and then are either delivering or directly involved in rehabilitation and/or compensatory plans. Heck, many us still do therapy for neurological and non-neurologically compromised individuals. Luckily, a good clinical psychology training program trains us to do many things.

Reactions: 1 users
The numbers dont support that. a majority of psychologists spend their time providing therapy services rather than assessment.

What I'm saying is that it is possible to have an assessment-focused career - which seems to be what the OP is looking for.

I don't think that saying "many clinical psychologists spend their time doing assessment" is contrary to "a majority of psychologists spend their time providing therapy services rather than assessment." I know a lot of people who do assessment-based practice without therapy. That said, you do have to learn how to do therapy to get through grad school, and you'll probably end up doing therapy on internship. But it doesn't have to be the mainstay, or even a real component, of a long-term career in psychology.

Any suggestions?

This is perhaps an unpopular opinion, but IMO personality assessment tends to be overvalued in treatment planning. Many of the "why" questions and insights you refer to emerge during the course of psychotherapy and may be easier for the patient to accept in the setting of therapy.

This is not to negate the role of a good diagnostic evaluation, or a functional behavior assessment, or a more specialized assessment (eg, neuropsychological or forensic evaluation). But these assessments are typically conducted to address specific, focused referral questions and not to generate sweeping insights into a person's psyche.

Reactions: 3 users
This is perhaps an unpopular opinion, but IMO personality assessment tends to be overvalued in treatment planning. Many of the "why" questions and insights you refer to emerge during the course of psychotherapy and may be easier for the patient to accept in the setting of therapy.

This is not to negate the role of a good diagnostic evaluation, or a functional behavior assessment, or a more specialized assessment (eg, neuropsychological or forensic evaluation). But these assessments are typically conducted to address specific, focused referral questions and not to generate sweeping insights into a person's psyche.

I'm in agreement about use in general psych, and it doesn't help that insurance companies are not fond of paying for straight psych assessment. If they do, the rates are poor. (As an aside.....for trainees who eventually want to be assessment-only/mostly, you want to avoid the behavioral health carveout whenever possible, and only credential on the medical side. The process and requirements on the medical side are always easier and the reimbursement of rates are much better).

I'm a big fan of the -2RF, though I only use it for specific types of cases (e.g. medicolegal injury cases, pain and/or somatoform suspected, some mTBI cases, etc.) I feel like it has some very useful scales and research about specific diagnoses, though I like it much less as a solo assessment of personality.

My current job is almost exclusively assessments. Any “treatment” is billed as a BCBA, rather than as a psychologist. Previous positions have been largely administrative/ program management stuff, with minimal treatment. It can be done, but certainly not the norm. Therapy and assessment (and related research) seem to be the meat of doctoral training. You might find some programs/researchers focusing on program evaluation and consultation. Either way, a strong foundation in the “grunt work;)” of therapy can be invaluable in guiding your systems level work. You can’t truly understand the ins, outs, and absurdities of service delivery unless you actually deliver those services.recognize that a lot of the stuff you (the OP) want to do are more mid-later career goals- you’ll need to build up some clinical “capital” in the trenches if you really want to be taken seriously as a senior level clinical “advisor.l

I just don't feel like good therapists serve to "come up with the answers", and that's sort of the crux of what I'm interested in.

I strongly disagree with this statement, at least in the context of what I do. As the assessor/diagnostician, I pretty much identify the specifics of the problem. I then refer the client to the “good therapist” who does the hard work of coming up with the solutions.

Reactions: 3 users
Sure, some do, if that's what they want to do. But all of the ones I've known also do therapy, generally with more complex cases (the run-of-the-mill CBT etc is typically done by master's level in the places I've worked but that leaves pleeeeenty of other cases for psychologists).

Reactions: 1 user
My current job is almost exclusively assessments. Any “treatment” is billed as a BCBA, rather than as a psychologist. Previous positions have been largely administrative/ program management stuff, with minimal treatment. It can be done, but certainly not the norm. Therapy and assessment (and related research) seem to be the meat of doctoral training. You might find some programs/researchers focusing on program evaluation and consultation. Either way, a strong foundation in the “grunt work;)” of therapy can be invaluable in guiding your systems level work. You can’t truly understand the ins, outs, and absurdities of service delivery unless you actually deliver those services.recognize that a lot of the stuff you (the OP) want to do are more mid-later career goals- you’ll need to build up some clinical “capital” in the trenches if you really want to be taken seriously as a senior level clinical “advisor.l

I strongly disagree with this statement, at least in the context of what I do. As the assessor/diagnostician, I pretty much identify the specifics of the problem. I then refer the client to the “good therapist” who does the hard work of coming up with the solutions.

I can't like this reply enough. Excellent advice. :thumbup::thumbup:

Sure, some do, if that's what they want to do. But all of the ones I've known also do therapy, generally with more complex cases (the run-of-the-mill CBT etc is typically done by master's level in the places I've worked but that leaves pleeeeenty of other cases for psychologists).
I worked in several (non-neuro, non-forensic) assessments-only practices when I was in grad school. If the OP is interested in vocational assessment, that's definitely an area where you can do a lot of assessment without counseling (e.g. referrals from Work Force). There are also folks who specialize in adoption placements - not really forensic, but also not therapy at all. It just depends on what you want to do - our field is really big and there are a lot of ways to work in it without doing therapy - AFTER you get through the training, which will include therapy :)

I dont know what the breakdown is. I will state, for a fact however, that assessment only practices are often at the mercy of the managed care industry unless one runs a cash only practice. Not easy to start and sustain. It can be done, however.

I dont know what the breakdown is. I will state, for a fact however, that assessment only practices are often at the mercy of the managed care industry unless one runs a cash only practice. Not easy to start and sustain. It can be done, however.

That was not my experience. Made sure I had a guaranteed referral source, and opened. Still turning business away, even though I closed my clinical practice years ago.

If you refuse to enter into business with bad insurance companies, life is easy. If you fully read the relevant state laws, fully read every contract, read every insurance provider handbook, and get a reputation for just reporting things to the states insurance department, life is easy.

(As an aside.....for trainees who eventually want to be assessment-only/mostly, you want to avoid the behavioral health carveout whenever possible, and only credential on the medical side. The process and requirements on the medical side are always easier and the reimbursement of rates are much better).

Can you say more about this or can we even have a thread about it?

Can you say more about this or can we even have a thread about it?
Here ya go!