Psychology Ph.D in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brian1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found similar threads about this but they were concerning M.As in Social Work so I will post here.

I have been thinking of completing my Ph.D at Curtin University. I had an interview and it seems as though mine, and the professor which whom I spoke with, have equal research interests.
The issue I have is that I would have to find grants, or scholarships in order to pay for my schooling. I have been in the process of searching but have found very little. And the two that are offered by Curtin are said to go to students who have already published many articles.

I have one co-authorship, and my own research will be finished hopefully next year. But this may not be enough.

Anyways, I would love to go but my question is, how likely is it to receive a good starting academic job in America with a degree from Australia?(The degree would be in Research Psychology)

I understand that there are a multitude of issues concerning an overseas degree, but does have a Bachelor and Masters degree from the states help?

Curtin is the 15th overall best Uni in Australia, and has been on some world rankings, albeit at numbers around 350-400. So I do not know if this helps at all with finding jobs in America.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about overseas degrees and competitiveness for academic jobs. One of my mentors had a foreign doctorate and seemed to do just fine getting jobs at both an AMC and in a psychology department. I do know, however, that a lot of Clinical Programs want their tenure-track faculty to be licensed or license-eligible in order to be able to supervise students' clinical work. An overseas degree would substantially limit your ability to be licensed in the U.S., and thus your chances at positions that seek this in their applicants. That, and depending on how you network, that your work might be less known in the states are the only things I can see as downsides to being competitive for academia in the U.S.
Thank you for the help!

Brian1, Psych PhDs in Australia (as you may already know) involve exactly 0 clinical training - they are pure research degrees. AFAIK, research PhDs from reputable institutions are recognised anywhere in the world so I don't see why getting a research/academic/postdoc position in the US afterwards would be a problem.

There's a very good Australian grants database that might be useful in finding some funding: JASON.

Good luck!