Psychology Postbaccalaureate Programs

Started by accarter
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

accarter

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, does anyone know of a good postbaccalaureate program specifically for Psychology? I am not interested in going into medical school - rather a PhD program.
I majored in Comparative Literature at Brown and have no psych classes at all (although I did get a 5 on the AP exam years ago!). I could probably study and do well on the subject GRE - I assume this is probably not sufficient for acceptance into a good PhD program?
Thank you for any advice!
Allison
 
Hi, does anyone know of a good postbaccalaureate program specifically for Psychology? I am not interested in going into medical school - rather a PhD program.
I majored in Comparative Literature at Brown and have no psych classes at all (although I did get a 5 on the AP exam years ago!). I could probably study and do well on the subject GRE - I assume this is probably not sufficient for acceptance into a good PhD program?
Thank you for any advice!
Allison
For most PhD programs, research is the key. Most of the time, you just need to take a bunch of courses in the field for about two years, while getting involved in as much research as possible. In two years, you might even have a second degree (depends on how much it xfers over), and you'll have some research experience.

I am not sure if psychology is different (PsychD might be, whereas something like Cognitive Psychology would be similar to biology). But in the end, PhD = research, so thats what you want to emphasize.
 
Thanks!
So you don't think I need to worry about an actual degree program - rather that I should try to enroll in individual classes at a good school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks!
So you don't think I need to worry about an actual degree program - rather that I should try to enroll in individual classes at a good school?
Yes - either that, or go for a second degree at a school where they'll transfer most of your classes. Alternatively, you can take some undergrad courses, and then try for a masters program, and then a PhD.
 
Columbia has a Psych / Clinical Psych Postbac.... check it out. The little I know also supports the above comments about research...