psychopharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school, Psychopharmacology is a very biologically oriented class. Would that count toward science GPA? In other words, could I classify it under biology so that it would factor into the BCPM GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by camisho
At my school, Psychopharmacology is a very biologically oriented class. Would that count toward science GPA? In other words, could I classify it under biology so that it would factor into the BCPM GPA?

I recall psychopharm qualifying as a bio upper level at jhu, which is where you go right? But it IS listed under the psych department, probably wont get you there.

YES. I had a biological psych count into my science gpa. Considering it was intro neuroscience it should be a science... it was also listed as a psychology.

As w/ most psych classes, it was a big fat joke.

yes, you absolutely can. don't listen to the mean responses on this thread. if it was neuroscience, then it is biology. not all neuro classes are jokes, even if they are in the psych department. in a lot of schools you can pursue a neuro degree through either the psych or bio depts.
med schools recognize that neuroscience classes are not straight psych classes, but involve a lot of biology (at least mine did) and so you can count them in your science gpa.
by the way, this is all coming straight from my pre-med advisor who really knows her stuff.

yes this Psychopharmacology class is cross-listed between the Psychology dept. and Neuroscience dept.! So it should qualify?

Originally posted by camisho
yes this Psychopharmacology class is cross-listed between the Psychology dept. and Neuroscience dept.! So it should qualify?

Honestly, its kidna up to you since you're the one that fills out the AMCAS. You might as well list is as a BIO and see if they accept it when they review your AMCAS during verificaiton. It can't hurt

Yes, you can list it. I listed two psych classes as bio. classes. I also got approval to do this from the faculty members explaining to them why I wanted to list them as biology classes. Both agreed and one even said that it is taught at the same level as his neuroscience class for graduate students.

The both wrote me an email of support. AMCAS never questioned it, but I did have their emails to contest them if it occured.

So, yes do it. If you have an A in it, then it is wise to use that A.

Check whether or not it's crosslisted with a biology course. A lot of my neuro courses were crosslisted with psychology.

It's not cross-listed with a biology course, but it is a neuroscience elective here. I figure it should count?

You can go ahead and try it... it might be ok. I listed a physio psych class that was very neuroscience based as bio and AMCAS left it alone.

Originally posted by lilstina
You can go ahead and try it... it might be ok. I listed a physio psych class that was very neuroscience based as bio and AMCAS left it alone.

YOU DID?? i listed it as non science.. grrrr...

Originally posted by exmike
YOU DID?? i listed it as non science.. grrrr...

Hehe... of course. I definitely needed that A ;)

Originally posted by lilstina
Hehe... of course. I definitely needed that A ;)

lilstina...always controversial :D