Psychotherapy hours in your residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worriedwell

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought it might be nice to get a feel for how many psychotherapy hours people either know of directly or hear about at the residency programs they have encountered. In other words, as third and fourth years, what are the therapy requirements for the residents at different programs? Curious how much it varies across programs and across the country. I am actually unsure if there are any official requirements or minimums nationally as well. Also what type of training people are getting in terms of cases and modalities might be interesting to add as well.

Any takers?

Members don't see this ad.

at my program, we need to complete 183 hours each for third year and fourth year. We have two half-days for third year in the therapy clinic, and have the option to spend more time in the clinic during fourth year. presently my case load is four therapy pts.

as far as cases, mostly supportive, CBT, psychodynamic, as well as a required marital/couples case.