Psychotherapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for the clinical psychology students participating in this forum:

What approaches/modalities of treatment do you use?

I noticed that some people identify themselves as "CBT, MET, psychodynamic, interpersonal, etc, therapists." What are the predominant modes of psychotherapy being taught in clinical psychology programs?

Members don't see this ad.

i personally dont have a particular orientation (and i know a lot of people see that as a cop out) i like to take things on a case by case basis....i like to orient myself to what i think the client needs, rather than trying to fit them into my preconceived mold....

my program is psychodynamically based, but we do receive instruction on the other modalities...and we have a variety of practica where we get to learn other modalities hands on....and our professors are also very varied....

Members don't see this ad :)
Shatani said:
i personally dont have a particular orientation (and i know a lot of people see that as a cop out) i like to take things on a case by case basis....i like to orient myself to what i think the client needs, rather than trying to fit them into my preconceived mold....

my program is psychodynamically based, but we do receive instruction on the other modalities...and we have a variety of practica where we get to learn other modalities hands on....and our professors are also very varied....

What do you mean by "psychodynamically based?"

um....i guess i mean the core philosophy of the prog is psychodynamic theory....wow, ive never had to put it into words! LOL!

psisci said:
Shatani, Great approach! You will be a good psychologist. ;)
thank you! :D

I mostly consider myself "empirically-oriented" when it comes to psychotherapy. I rely on treatments that have some evidence for efficacy or effectiveness - CBT, IPT, motivational interviewing, etc. Generally, I adjust my conceptualization and approach through frequent assessment, and choose my approach accordingly. With all of that said, I find that I rely on CBT approaches most frequently.

Of course, there are the "non-specifics" of treatment that cut across all orientations - empathy, warmth, therapeutic alliance. I find that it's always helpful to check in with myself with regards to those elements of psychotherapy.