PsyD heads-up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluehorse

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I would like to connect with alumni or current students from DMU- Divine Mercy University, PsyD in clinical psychology program.
Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1615160429410.png
1615160450524.png

Never heard of this program before, but those match stats and the cost are alarming.

Reactions: 6 users
Ouch. Waaaaaay too costly.

Also, APA-acred. is the standard accreditation. APPIC is a membership org that has some standards, but it isn't considered an accreditation. Getting licensed w/o APA-acred. internship can be difficult, depending on the state. There are many more hoops. You will automatically be barred from certain jobs such as jobs in the VA*, many/most hospital positions bc the credentialing board will likely decline approval, and the military. Private practice would be a crapshoot, as practices tend to get plenty of applications, and the first cut is usually those w/o an APA-acred. program and then w/o an APA-acred. internship.

Any program below 90% APA-match rate (over at least 5 yrs) should be looked at skeptically. Between the questionable match rates and obscene cost....I'd never recommend that mix to a potential student.

*the VA has a small exception if you train at a VA site, you can work in the VA, but policies can change and they may have already, so YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch. Waaaaaay too costly.

Also, APA-acred. is the standard accreditation. APPIC is a membership org that has some standards, but it isn't considered an accreditation. Getting licensed w/o APA-acred. internship can be difficult, depending on the state. There are many more hoops. You will automatically be barred from certain jobs such as jobs in the VA*, many/most hospital positions bc the credentialing board will likely decline approval, and the military. Private practice would be a crapshoot, as practices tend to get plenty of applications, and the first cut is usually those w/o an APA-acred. program and then w/o an APA-acred. internship.

Any program below 90% APA-match rate (over at least 5 yrs) should be looked at skeptically. Between the questionable match rates and obscene cost....I'd never recommend that mix to a potential student.

*the VA has a small exception if you train at a VA site, you can work in the VA, but policies can change and they may have already, so YMMV.

To quickly follow-up on this, the policy is still in effect (i.e., if it's a VA internship in good standing with OAA, you are eligible for VA postdocs and employment). There is a second exception that individuals boarded via ABPP are also eligible for VA employment, regardless of whether their internship was APA-accredited.

Nonetheless, attending an APA-accredited internship is still your best bet by a long shot. Case in point, it's a more difficult/effortful process to pursue boarding via ABPP if your internship is not APA-accredited.

Hello!
Thanks, folks for sharing your insights. I applied to 7 PsyD in clinical psychology universities for Fall 2021. Rejected by 6 universities and one waitlisted. I haven't applied to DMU. Since, they have extended the application deadline date. Thought, I might just try. I didn't apply to DMU initially for the most obivous reason- COST FACTOR. Being an international student the costs add up fast and hard.
I cross-checked with them, DMU is APA accredited. I also checked the APA website pg 23. VIRGINIA Divine Mercy University (Clinical Psy.D.) 45154 Underwood Lane Sterling, Va. 20166 April 22, 2016 Accredited Next site visit scheduled 2023. Please, can someone lemme know if it's true?
Hoping for a last minute miracle.

Attachments

• 2020 APA Accredited Doctoral Programs_FINAL.pdf
    436.4 KB · Views: 56
Hello!
Thanks, folks for sharing your insights. I applied to 7 PsyD in clinical psychology universities for Fall 2021. Rejected by 6 universities and one waitlisted. I haven't applied to DMU. Since, they have extended the application deadline date. Thought, I might just try. I didn't apply to DMU initially for the most obivous reason- COST FACTOR. Being an international student the costs add up fast and hard.
I cross-checked with them, DMU is APA accredited. I also checked the APA website pg 23. VIRGINIA Divine Mercy University (Clinical Psy.D.) 45154 Underwood Lane Sterling, Va. 20166 April 22, 2016 Accredited Next site visit scheduled 2023. Please, can someone lemme know if it's true?
Hoping for a last minute miracle.
It looks like they are APA accredited, I would just be cautious there because of the poor APA-accredited internship match rate and the high cost. Is there a reason you need to go to school for sure this year? Feel free to DM me if you want to talk this through more!

Reactions: 4 users
It looks like they are APA accredited, I would just be cautious there because of the poor APA-accredited internship match rate and the high cost. Is there a reason you need to go to school for sure this year? Feel free to DM me if you want to talk this through more!
From looking at various websites and forums, it seems relatively common for people to be making these decisions based on desperation and other emotions instead of dispassionately evaluating the programs and making wise financial and career decisions.

Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 331979View attachment 331980

Never heard of this program before, but those match stats and the cost are alarming.
And if you also consider cohort sizes and attrition rates, something is really funky. High attrition and only a portion of all students who SHOULD be eligible for internship (based on year of matriculation) actually applying. Big red flags (though you don't really need to look much further than that 40k per year price tag right there at the top to make you very leary of this program). Basically, the data says that only relatively small portion of people who begin the program are able to complete the program and be- at a minimum- eligible for licensure in ANY jurisdiction. The rest, well they have invested a lot of money with no tangible returns.

If these are the types of programs you are applying to, and you are not having luck with admissions, that a clear message that you should re-evaluate your decision to pursue doctoral training at this time. There are likely significant things missing in your application that you need to work on.

Reactions: 4 users
Work on your application and try again for another cycle when you are a more competitive candidate. Attending a school just because they accept you and no one else did, is not a good reason to go. Do a lot of reflection, think about where you can improve (so many threads you can read through on this forum). Many successful students (meaning in fully funded programs or at least better programs that the one you were considering) have applied in 2-3x cycles before getting an offer. It is better to really think about this and try again, rather than undoubtedly regret an awful mistake in a few years.

Reactions: 2 users
APA internship match rate is trending upwards, which I guess is a positive sign but even there it is still pretty mediocre. There is no way to justify the cost.

I agree with others, there is really zero reason to attend. Take a year off, get more clinical/research experience and reapply.

Reactions: 1 users
Attending a school just because they accept you and no one else did, is not a good reason to go.
Very much agree. I know that folks have certain plans and expectations about their future and timelines they have in mind, and that it’s hard to adjust when you’re really set on getting that doctorate.

That said, I strongly encourage folks to really put this all in perspective rather than seek the lowest bar to get a doctorate in our field. I’ve seen several folks say “I’m applying to PsyD programs because it’s easier to get into and I have no interest in research.” “Easier” to get into does not a good training program make. I really wish folks would really look at what that means for the bigger picture in terms of their own career, their future finances, and the field as a whole. Also, research experience and coursework is one of the best ways I learned to understand and critically examine research studies in our field to keep abreast of new treatments. And you don’t have to do research after you graduate, so it’s not a lifelong commitment.

Many folks who want a doctorate but have difficulty getting into programs might benefit from some deeper reflection about why they feel they need a doctorate specifically. I think for some, a master’s degree is probably a better fit. For others, it may be that they just need a bit more experience built up to be competitive, which isn’t the end of the world!

OP, I know folks aren’t giving you the answers you’re probably looking for, but as long as we still have for-profit doctoral programs out there that rely heavily on charging unbelievably high tuition that will saddle folks with decades worth of debt (and these programs have huge numbers of students such that there’s less faculty availability for mentoring and less 1:1 attention), we will continue to encourage folks to pursue other routes.

Hello!
To everyone who took their time out and responded, thank you so much. I am all ears and open to advice especially being an international student I am still learning about different procedures and requirements needed to pursue a doctorate degree in the US. I've noted down the red flags.
Since I have already completed my masters from my country of origin. I was hoping to pursue a doctorate degree in the US. There are many reasons, why I would like to pursue it.
My plan B is to get experience, in the US and re-apply again. It would greatly benefit me if someone could let me know how do I proceed further? I am willing to intern and volunteer with a stipend under clinicians. Thank you, once again! :)