PsyD/PhD App Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepsyd2024

Reaction score
I wanted to ask if anyone could look over my stats and tell me if I am competitive for top PsyDs/clinically focused PhDs. I am interested in clinical psychology, with a focus on children/trauma.

Education:

Associate of Gen. Liberal Arts from my local community college

Now senior pursuing a BS in Psych at a T50 private research uni

Stats:

GPA from associate degree: 3.6

Current GPA: 3.8

I have made deans list multiple semesters, different honor societies, good relations with profs. Not taking the GRE.

Research:

By the time I graduate, I will have 2 years experience in a Social Psych lab. Focuses on research of prejudice/dehumanization. I have one poster presentation. I have a research internship with a statewide non-profit org that oversees all children's advocacy centers in that state. I am not crazy interested in research and want to pursue a more clinical route.

Work/volunteer/clinical:

I am involved in multiple orgs on campus, including a veteran advocacy org (does community service for/with vets) and a peer sexual assault hotline/education org (I volunteer on sexual aggression hotline). I worked at a summer camp. Volunteered for a music therapy program for children with disabilities. I am in Psi Chi/psych club and jewish leaders program.

Letters of Rec:

I think I will have solid recs. One from PI from my lab. One from a psych prof. One from the supervisor of my internship.

I know I will get comments about how PsyDs are not worth the debt, but my program will be fully paid for using money my grandparents left me when they passed away. So that is not a worry. I still want to explore applying to PhDs, but honestly prefer PsyD route. I will be applying for Fall 2024. Please let me know if you have advice on how I can strengthen my app from now to then. Thank you for your help!

Considering applying to:
-UDenver PsyD
-Rutgers PsyD
-Yeshiva PsyD
-Florida Tech PsyD
-Pacific U PsyD
-Indiana PsyD
-Chestnut Hill PsyD
-LaSalle PsyD
-Northwestern PhD
-Gallaudet U PhD
-UKentucky PhD

Members don't see this ad.

Curious why you're only considering PsyD/Phd versus masters level programs if your end goal is to be a clinician?

I just noticed that I couldn't find the sticky threads any more because I thought this would get folded into WAMC. Did that go away or is it just my UI settings?

By the time I graduate, I will have 2 years experience in a Social Psych lab. Focuses on research of prejudice/dehumanization. I have one poster presentation. I have a research internship with a statewide non-profit org that oversees all children's advocacy centers in that state. I am not crazy interested in research and want to pursue a more clinical route.

What kind of clinical interests? Remember the modal outcome of balanced Ph.D. programs is clinical practice. These programs are shooting for research competence, which is different than emphasis. A poster presentation is great for undergrad, a minor authorship credit on a pub would also help you, if possible.

know I will get comments about how PsyDs are not worth the debt, but my program will be fully paid for using money my grandparents left me when they passed away. So that is not a worry. I still want to explore applying to PhDs, but honestly prefer PsyD route.

Yes you will. Transferring your wealth to a predatory unfunded program because you don't like research all that much, despite succeeding in a research lab, isn't the best use of your resources. Consider investing them in a slow growth asset instead. While there are exceptional Psy.Ds., opportunities are better in Ph.D. programs generally. I would strong suggest looking into the Insider's guide or APA's guide to graduate study for a list of more balanced program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just noticed that I couldn't find the sticky threads any more because I thought this would get folded into WAMC. Did that go away or is it just my UI settings?
For me, they're now on a right sidebar instead of pinned at the top of the page.

I completely agree with everything that R. Matey stated. There are many Ph.D. programs that have a balanced focus, and investing that money elsewhere would be life-changing for your long-term financial health. I personally don't know of any solid reasons why one would only consider applying to PsyDs.

Considering applying to:
-UDenver PsyD
-Rutgers PsyD
-Yeshiva PsyD
-Florida Tech PsyD
-Pacific U PsyD
-Indiana PsyD
-Chestnut Hill PsyD
-LaSalle PsyD
-Northwestern PhD
-Gallaudet U PhD
-UKentucky PhD
Besides the financial cost of some of these programs being dubious, at best, investments of your family's money, you also have a very interesting spread of programs. Some of these, like Chestnut Hill, have very minimal research requirements and are more similar to professional schools, while others like UK are very research intensive and actually PCSAS-accredited. Any clinical psych program, PsyD or PhD, will allow you to have a clinical career, that's how they are able to get APA accredited. The issues are really going to be those of (1) cost, (2) quality of education, and (3) how much research experience you want to have during grad school.

Cost and quality are related, as fully-funded programs are investing time and money into you as a student, rather than having you pay them to attend. This means that they have an incentive to help you succeed and will lose significantly if you drop out. Conversely, unfunded programs aren't really going to suffer if you were to drop out, because they have been making money from you, not spending money on you, and they can always just replace you with someone else willing to pay. That's not to say you'll be making bank during grad school at a funded program, but that's where your inheritance would really shine. I'm doing well financially (looking to buy a house now before internship starts), but it would have been pretty great to have a couple hundred thousand in the bank during grad school.

I'm planning to have a more clinically-focused career and attend a clinical science program, but the research has been incredibly helpful to my clinical training and I would not have been as competitive for internship without both.

Reactions: 1 users
Besides the financial cost of some of these programs being dubious, at best, investments of your family's money, you also have a very interesting spread of programs. Some of these, like Chestnut Hill, have very minimal research requirements and are more similar to professional schools, while others like UK are very research intensive and actually PCSAS-accredited. Any clinical psych program, PsyD or PhD, will allow you to have a clinical career, that's how they are able to get APA accredited. The issues are really going to be those of (1) cost, (2) quality of education, and (3) how much research experience you want to have during grad school.

Cost and quality are related, as fully-funded programs are investing time and money into you as a student, rather than having you pay them to attend. This means that they have an incentive to help you succeed and will lose significantly if you drop out. Conversely, unfunded programs aren't really going to suffer if you were to drop out, because they have been making money from you, not spending money on you, and they can always just replace you with someone else willing to pay. That's not to say you'll be making bank during grad school at a funded program, but that's where your inheritance would really shine. I'm doing well financially (looking to buy a house now before internship starts), but it would have been pretty great to have a couple hundred thousand in the bank during grad school.

I'm planning to have a more clinically-focused career and attend a clinical science program, but the research has been incredibly helpful to my clinical training and I would not have been as competitive for internship without both.
Couldn't agree more with all of this! Not to mention that cohorts are often much smaller in PhD programs than PsyD programs, which amplifies the program's investment in students' training. I have never once had to compete with a fellow student for practicum hours, supervision hours, desired coursework or mentorship of any kind, really. My program is extremely invested in my professional development and like psych.meout stated, would lose big if I were to fail.

I completely agree with everything that R. Matey stated. There are many Ph.D. programs that have a balanced focus, and investing that money elsewhere would be life-changing for your long-term financial health. I personally don't know of any solid reasons why one would only consider applying to PsyDs.
Do you have examples of more balanced PhDs that I would be competitive for? Another factor is that PsyD programs are shorter in duration compared to PhDs, and I really would like to start having children before I reach age 30, which I think would be less doable if I pursued PhD.

Could you give me some examples of PhD programs with lower research emphasis and more clinical focus?

Do you have examples of more balanced PhDs that I would be competitive for? Another factor is that PsyD programs are shorter in duration compared to PhDs, and I really would like to start having children before I reach age 30, which I think would be less doable if I pursued PhD.
Reputable PsyDs are similar in time to balanced and clinical PhDs. And when there is a difference in mean time, it's a half to year at most. In any case, many people delay children for financial reasons as well, such as being 200k+ in debt.

Another factor is that PsyD programs are shorter in duration compared to PhDs, and I really would like to start having children before I reach age 30, which I think would be less doable if I pursued PhD.
I would hesitate to consider this a major pro since a) it's a year at most and factors like not matching could make this moot; b) you'll almost certainly sacrifice valuable training and have worse odds of matching to a really good internship, which can negatively impact future career choices and options.

Having just reviewed internship applications at my VA, that added year makes a huge difference in both quantitative factors like total hours, accumulated experience, and professional confidence/competence. Without looking at the school, you can already tell the people who have spent 3 years at a low quality PsyD versus people who have spent 4 or 5 years at a better program (which includes PsyDs) and it's not a good difference.

In terms of research, to use a basketball or soccer analogy, a PsyD that does not emphasize research is like somebody who just wants to play hard on offense and ignore/loaf on defense. Yes, offense is more fun and glamorous but it's literally just half of the sport and neglecting that side of things has consequences.

I went to a funded PhD and while I still have zero first author pubs (nor will I ever), the experience contributing to projects and completing an original dissertation were invaluable to my overall training as a psychologist. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I would hesitate to consider this a major pro since a) it's a year at most and factors like not matching could make this moot; b) you'll almost certainly sacrifice valuable training and have worse odds of matching to a really good internship, which can negatively impact future career choices and options.

Having just reviewed internship applications at my VA, that added year makes a huge difference in both quantitative factors like total hours, accumulated experience, and professional confidence/competence. Without looking at the school, you can already tell the people who have spent 3 years at a low quality PsyD versus people who have spent 4 or 5 years at a better program (which includes PsyDs) and it's not a good difference.

In terms of research, to use a basketball or soccer analogy, a PsyD that does not emphasize research is like somebody who just wants to play hard on offense and ignore/loaf on defense. Yes, offense is more fun and glamorous but it's literally just half of the sport and neglecting that side of things has consequences.

I went to a funded PhD and while I still have zero first author pubs (nor will I ever), the experience contributing to projects and completing an original dissertation were invaluable to my overall training as a psychologist. Good luck!
By "high quality" PsyD program, which programs are you referring to? I don't really know how/where to look for PhD programs that are very clinically balanced.

Members don't see this ad :)
By "high quality" PsyD program, which programs are you referring to? I don't really know how/where to look for PhD programs that are very clinically balanced.
Affiliated with a non-profit university, offering a full or partial stipend, and admit a small cohort each year. The typical funded PhD admits between 5-10 students a year as that's about how much high-quality, hands-on mentorship they can realistically provide. So the best PsyD programs follow this model, even if their students are self-pay.

Some places like Denver are university affiliated with fairly small cohort sizes but charge incredibly high tuition but anecdotally, you should receive good training. Note, programs like this also have high standards for their students so admission isn't a shoe-in like near predatory PsyDs.

In general stay away from for profit PsyDs that admit 25-50+ students a year; they are absolutely more interested in your money than providing a good education. Some do a better job at educating while others are not. But overall, I would not recommend this path.

As for balanced funded programs, start with the Insiders Guide, which had broad info on each clinical psych doctorate program and get a sense of how much research is emphasized.

Look on Google Scholar to see how active potential PIs are. If somebody has already published 3 articles in 2023 and they were attached to 8 peer reviewed pieces in 2022, that lab really emphasizes research productively. But that's not the norm.

Most PhDs are clinically balanced, and most students who have PhDs go into a clinical role postgrad. PCSAS accredited sites (e.g., those that identify as "clinical science") are going to be more research-focused as a rule of thumb, but these are the minority of PhD programs. Additionally, even within clinical science programs, there are going to be labs and students who are not super research-oriented and who end up going the clinical route postgrad.

I think rather than worrying about finding a balanced PhD program, I would be worrying about finding a reputable PsyD program that provides solid training (across any and all domains - clinical, research, coursework, teaching, etc.). There are many more balanced PhD programs than reputable PsyD programs from my sense of the field.

Reactions: 2 users
Affiliated with a non-profit university, offering a full or partial stipend, and admit a small cohort each year. The typical funded PhD admits between 5-10 students a year as that's about how much high-quality, hands-on mentorship they can realistically provide. So the best PsyD programs follow this model, even if their students are self-pay.

Some places like Denver are university affiliated with fairly small cohort sizes but charge incredibly high tuition but anecdotally, you should receive good training. Note, programs like this also have high standards for their students so admission isn't a shoe-in like near predatory PsyDs.

In general stay away from for profit PsyDs that admit 25-50+ students a year; they are absolutely more interested in your money than providing a good education. Some do a better job at educating while others are not. But overall, I would not recommend this path.

As for balanced funded programs, start with the Insiders Guide, which had broad info on each clinical psych doctorate program and get a sense of how much research is emphasized.

Look on Google Scholar to see how active potential PIs are. If somebody has already published 3 articles in 2023 and they were attached to 8 peer reviewed pieces in 2022, that lab really emphasizes research productively. But that's not the norm.
Am I even competitive enough for PhD programs though?

I think so! You have years of research experience, strong rec letters, and a great track record of academic achievement.

My only 2 cents would be to take the GRE because the minority of programs that still require it seem to receive fewer applications. It's not that much work to prepare tbh and if money isn't a concern, I would absolutely take it in order to broaden the pool of programs to which you can apply.

I think so! You have years of research experience, strong rec letters, and a great track record of academic achievement.

My only 2 cents would be to take the GRE because the minority of programs that still require it seem to receive fewer applications. It's not that much work to prepare tbh and if money isn't a concern, I would absolutely take it in order to broaden the pool of programs to which you can apply.
I have honestly been really resistant to taking the GRE. I am really bad on these sorts of standardized tests. Although if I really wanted to, I could make time this summer to study/take it. Is it really worth it for the few programs that accept it? Are those programs high ranking/better?

Competitive is so subjective and fit dependent but your application definitely has potential to be reviewed seriously and considered for interviews.

This is where fit comes in. Somebody could have killed it with multiple first author pubs, lots of posters, and perfect GREs but if they are a poor fit, they will not be interviewed (e.g., person's research is on diagnosing schizophrenia more accurately but is applying to a PI who does qualitative research on mental health stigma in Asian diaspora populations).

And each cycle, it's impossible to predict what type of additions a PI is ideally aiming to add to their lab (assuming you are applying to pure mentorship model programs, which is the norm).

This is where PsyD admissions are more straight-forward, especially unfunded programs that don't run on a mentorship model (where a PI basically controls who gets or doesn't get their offer or offers for that cycle).

But these programs are likely to have much larger cohorts and actual mentoring once you arrive can be hit or miss, since a specific faculty member hasn't made a very substantial commitment in your continued progression (most PIs in a mentorship model have 1 offer per year so if they strike out, that's a major setback for their research program).

I have honestly been really resistant to taking the GRE. I am really bad on these sorts of standardized tests. Although if I really wanted to, I could make time this summer to study/take it. Is it really worth it for the few programs that accept it? Are those programs high ranking/better?

With the considerable savings over the next five years, I'd say it is worth it. You don't have to do perfect on the GRE to be competitive for clinically balanced Ph.D. programs. Here's a table of the GRE scores by intended graduate major. Compare these with the overall percentile ranks across all disciplines and you will see that it is fairly doable. Be sure to look at clinical and counseling since both of these lead to a licensed psychologist credential.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't say that they're higher ranking nor better necessarily, but they're probably a bit less competitive since fewer applicants want to jump through the hoop of taking the GRE. It really isn't too much work to prepare - I'd recommend buying some secondhand prep books and taking a few practice tests - and can give you an advantage by broadening your pool of programs.

Most PhDs are clinically balanced, and most students who have PhDs go into a clinical role postgrad. PCSAS accredited sites (e.g., those that identify as "clinical science") are going to be more research-focused as a rule of thumb, but these are the minority of PhD programs. Additionally, even within clinical science programs, there are going to be labs and students who are not super research-oriented and who end up going the clinical route postgrad.

I think rather than worrying about finding a balanced PhD program, I would be worrying about finding a reputable PsyD program that provides solid training (across any and all domains - clinical, research, coursework, teaching, etc.). There are many more balanced PhD programs than reputable PsyD programs from my sense of the field.
Can you give examples of some that are more clinically balanced? I used the 2022/23 Insider's Guide and have picked that book apart but a lot of the PhD programs that indicated they're more clinically focused actually were not once I went onto their website (like Boston University). I'm curious to hear what's considered "clinically balanced", please!!

Can you give examples of some that are more clinically balanced? I used the 2022/23 Insider's Guide and have picked that book apart but a lot of the PhD programs that indicated they're more clinically focused actually were not once I went onto their website (like Boston University). I'm curious to hear what's considered "clinically balanced", please!!

University of Kansas and University of North Dakota are balanced Clinical PhD programs that have faculty with interests in children and/or trauma

Eastern Michigan University, University of Cincinnati, and American University come to mind. There are many, and again, even the programs that are more clinically science oriented still provide high quality training in clinical work and many students who train in clinical science programs end up in fully clinical roles postdoc.

I'm curious to hear what's considered "clinically balanced", please!!
There’s no standard but one way I think of clinically balanced versus research focused is how many graduates are expected to pursue full research/academic careers versus clinical careers that might include some amounts of research. And this may even vary within a program with labs in the same department being having different focuses and outcomes.

My funded PhD required weekly research team participation and year-round active work on pubs/posters but only 1 person in the cohorts around mine ended up going into academia. They were very clear about that interest from the get go and worked in the most research heavy lab in our program and did more research than the typical student to prepare for this career.

So I would consider mine to be clinically balanced even though all of us, including those who had zero interest in academia, spent a lot of time on research since that should be a core doctoral level psychology competency.

My take on the field is that most programs fit this balanced model, with some being a bit heavier on research and some a bit lighter comparatively. But everybody will do substantial research.

Programs that are very intent on producing the next generations of academics are very much in the minority and easily differentiated from other programs (e.g., lots of faculty are nationally known in their subfields and are constantly cranking out articles and posters). And programs that do not emphasize research (e.g., lit review for a dissertation) are on the other end of this spectrum and occupy a minority position.

What criteria are you using to determine on your own that they are not more clinically balanced?

Do you have any opinions of Yeshiva's PsyD program?

I wanted to ask if anyone could look over my stats and tell me if I am competitive for top PsyDs/clinically focused PhDs. I am interested in clinical psychology, with a focus on children/trauma.

Education:

Associate of Gen. Liberal Arts from my local community college

Now senior pursuing a BS in Psych at a T50 private research uni

Stats:

GPA from associate degree: 3.6

Current GPA: 3.8

I have made deans list multiple semesters, different honor societies, good relations with profs. Not taking the GRE.

Research:

Work/volunteer/clinical:

I am involved in multiple orgs on campus, including a veteran advocacy org (does community service for/with vets) and a peer sexual assault hotline/education org (I volunteer on sexual aggression hotline). I worked at a summer camp. Volunteered for a music therapy program for children with disabilities. I am in Psi Chi/psych club and jewish leaders program.

Letters of Rec:

I think I will have solid recs. One from PI from my lab. One from a psych prof. One from the supervisor of my internship.

I know I will get comments about how PsyDs are not worth the debt, but my program will be fully paid for using money my grandparents left me when they passed away. So that is not a worry. I still want to explore applying to PhDs, but honestly prefer PsyD route. I will be applying for Fall 2024. Please let me know if you have advice on how I can strengthen my app from now to then. Thank you for your help!

Considering applying to:
-UDenver PsyD
-Rutgers PsyD
-Yeshiva PsyD
-Florida Tech PsyD
-Pacific U PsyD
-Indiana PsyD
-Chestnut Hill PsyD
-LaSalle PsyD
-Northwestern PhD
-Gallaudet U PhD
-UKentucky PhD
- University of Denver - Don't know too much about it but overall had heard it's a solid program and had professors years ago who went there and had good things to say.
- Rutgers - From what I've read, one of the top rated (and hardest to get into) PsyD programs. It's well known and highly recognized.
- Yeshiva - Have not heard of.
- Florida Tech- Don't know much about it but as others said if linked to a non-profit university probably good enough.
- Pacific U - Have not heard of.
- Indiana PsyD - Depends if talking about the one in PA, the one in Indiana, or the for profit one.
- Chestnut Hill PsyD - Has a professor whose well known in family systems therapy. Also apparently now has a sports concussion research program.
- La Salle - CBT heavy and about 10-15 years ago almost lost accreditation because they "apparently" used their college counseling center for a training practicum/internship , I assume resolved.
- Northwestern - One of the best apparently.
- Galladuet - Not sure if applies to PsyD but this school is traditionally a school for the deaf. I remember years ago wanting to apply then realizing this.
- Kentucky - Don't know much about it but as others said if linked to a non-profit university probably good enough.

Widener University has an interesting PsyD combined with a JD.
Immaculata University is also generally well regarded.
Temple University is more research oriented but also highly regarded.

Also want to highlight that none of the above are stand alone professional programs and, to my knowledge, all are linked to non-profit universities. I'm from the Northeast so know some of these programs better than others. Also almost all PsyD programs, except Rutgers, are going to be a bit less research focused than PhD programs. Stay away from "stand alone" professional programs. If they aren't linked to , and on a campus of, a college or university, avoid.

You have a good application from what you've posted. Well rounded. As others have said , take the GRE anyways. It can't hurt but it can help. In interviews, especially if your focus is clinical , you WILL be asked why the doctoral route and what are some things you hope to accomplish with this. Someone here asked why not masters? You'll be asked that as well in both PsyD and PhD interview processes.

- University of Denver - Don't know too much about it but overall had heard it's a solid program and had professors years ago who went there and had good things to say.
- Rutgers - From what I've read, one of the top rated (and hardest to get into) PsyD programs. It's well known and highly recognized.
- Yeshiva - Have not heard of.
- Florida Tech- Don't know much about it but as others said if linked to a non-profit university probably good enough.
- Pacific U - Have not heard of.
- Indiana PsyD - Depends if talking about the one in PA, the one in Indiana, or the for profit one.
- Chestnut Hill PsyD - Has a professor whose well known in family systems therapy. Also apparently now has a sports concussion research program.
- La Salle - CBT heavy and about 10-15 years ago almost lost accreditation because they "apparently" used their college counseling center for a training practicum/internship , I assume resolved.
- Northwestern - One of the best apparently.
- Galladuet - Not sure if applies to PsyD but this school is traditionally a school for the deaf. I remember years ago wanting to apply then realizing this.
- Kentucky - Don't know much about it but as others said if linked to a non-profit university probably good enough.

Widener University has an interesting PsyD combined with a JD.
Immaculata University is also generally well regarded.
Temple University is more research oriented but also highly regarded.

Also want to highlight that none of the above are stand alone professional programs and, to my knowledge, all are linked to non-profit universities. I'm from the Northeast so know some of these programs better than others. Also almost all PsyD programs, except Rutgers, are going to be a bit less research focused than PhD programs. Stay away from "stand alone" professional programs. If they aren't linked to , and on a campus of, a college or university, avoid.

You have a good application from what you've posted. Well rounded. As others have said , take the GRE anyways. It can't hurt but it can help. In interviews, especially if your focus is clinical , you WILL be asked why the doctoral route and what are some things you hope to accomplish with this. Someone here asked why not masters? You'll be asked that as well in both PsyD and PhD interview processes.
Thank you for your detailed reply! I am just starting to really consider PhD instead of PsyD. Are you familiar with the Clinical/School psych combined program at UVA? Or other clinical psych PhDs that are heavily practice-based that you can recommend I look into?

Thank you for your detailed reply! I am just starting to really consider PhD instead of PsyD. Are you familiar with the Clinical/School psych combined program at UVA? Or other clinical psych PhDs that are heavily practice-based that you can recommend I look into?
No problem!

I'm not familiar with UVA's program although a quick browse of their program website it would appear to be a quite well run and reputable program. It presents itself well, the funding looks generous, and the reputation appears good. It also appears quite competitive (they graduated 5 students between 2020-2022, and averaged around 4 graduates a year since 2012). It seems like a broad based program, which personally if i was applying all over again, younger me would have probably considered it.

As for clinical psych PhDs that are heavily practice-based, most funded PhD programs are going to be more research and academic focused. Mainly because to be fully funded they rely on grants which are often funded by research.

For example, taken verbatim from UVA's program website: "We emphasize research and academic career goals for our students consistent with our training goals. However, a number of students elect careers in applied settings and use their clinical scientist skills in clinical, administrative or policy work."

Here's the thing: All APA accredited programs (Phd or PsyD) need to meet requirements that meet, at least, the minimal licensure requirements of the most stringent licensing body (whichever state that may be) that recognizes and abides by APA requirements when setting these requirements . So most programs that are Clinical or Counseling will meet those requirements, all will if they want to maintain APA accreditation. So even the most research focused, academic focused PhD program in Clinical or Counseling Psych (if it's a legit program) will ensure you receive the training needed for licensure. The argument can be made, and I suppose it's not a bad argument, that in exchange for a funded PhD, you contribute more time to all of the above. Which isn't necessarily a bad deal. However, and this is where researching programs carefully comes in, the extent to which the program puts effort, focus, and resources into the requirements versus their program goals and mission will likely vary.

The decision each applicant has to make when considering a program is, and many programs allude to this, if I want to be more practice focused can I learn applicable practice skills from the experiences in the program? You can swap out "practice" with "research" if that's your cup of tea but all programs that bill themselves at license eligible mean you can practice down the line.

Some will argue that you get your most applied practice skills in practicums, internships, and post-docs (and on the job to some extent like most fields) and thus the program content matters less. Others will argue that programs that include more robust coursework and training on practice skills are going to be more useful for direct care focused individuals.

Essentially all APA accredited programs in Clinical or Counseling Psych will make you license eligible by the time you graduate.

I've read that many programs have gotten rid of things like the GRE. I'm probably not alone on here that some of us would have been over the moon for the opportunities you and others have to apply to programs without the tediousness of GRE scores.

The TL;DR: The "balance" and the way the requirements are met can vary although since you're required to have practicums and internships to get licensed, even the most research oriented PhD clinical program is going to be licensable. However the extent and depth of the practice focused content of the program may vary, even if it meets licensure requirements. The key: if the program does a great job of bridging the connection between research and application that the student can understand and integrate into practice: that's as good of a balance as one can ask for.

You've got great opportunities no matter which program you choose. Read up on programs, if you get an invite to interview you may also have access to current students to talk with, this can help you learn more about the next 5 years of your life in a program while also helping the program decide if you're a good fit in their program. Just make sure it's APA accredited and connected directly to an accredited college or university.