PT/MBA, PT/ Ph.D, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyrus44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any PTs with any of these degree on teh forums and wondering what they do for u in terms of salary and ability to practice. I understand that the MBA allows you to run rehab pracitice and the Ph.D allows for research but is it finically worth it, spending 100k for the degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Cyrus44 said:
I was wondering if there are any PTs with any of these degree on teh forums and wondering what they do for u in terms of salary and ability to practice. I understand that the MBA allows you to run rehab pracitice and the Ph.D allows for research but is it finically worth it, spending 100k for the degree?

I can't speak about the PT/MBA, but I can comment on the PT/PhD. I'm not a practicing PT, but I don't think having the PhD would have a dramatic impact clinically other than perhaps bringing some type of additional knowledge depending on what the focus of the PhD was in. It would really depend on an individuals experience in their doctorate education, their research interests and post-doctorate experiences. I guess that I would say that the educational experience of a PhD program would have a dramatic impact on you intellectually. Obviously, the PhD may best help you and patients in a scientific fashion with research and new developments and would likely afford you some type of tenured position at a college/university.

Earning a PhD doesn’t typically cost anything and usually pays you a small stipend for teaching undergrad courses or labs and/or participation in the research efforts of professors/scientists or some other type of service to the college/univ. What you have to do as a GA depends on the program and your qualifications. Getting into a PhD program is something like applying for a job. There are usually only one or two positions a year, you must have the qualifications to perform the services that the program is looking for as a graduate assistant and then you must be accepted into the degree program by the university. Deciding if completing a PhD program is worth it largely depends on your career or professional goals. Just my experiences, Assistant Lawguil.